Bac's Glasser build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Bac's Glasser build

Postby bac206 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:20 am

So it's time for me to jump onto the bubbler bandwagon. I love the appeal of the glass builds and think it would help me learn how it works abit easier given the view.

So I went for the 110mm glass. 2mm thick plates. On a 4 inch copper column until out of the RC, then straight down to 2 inch, do the 180 bend and into 2 inch shotgun PC, with a supporting bar in there to help with the side loading stress, as per Newstilla's build.

The downcomers is where I'm still a bit undecided/unsure. I'm thinking around the 20mm mark for depth would suit (I mostly do BWKO). However I'm not sure what would be the ideal distance below the plate to make the cap. Whether to make the short dc as per bt's build or have just above bath depth. Or does it really matter? Also, what is the better size to use? I have fair bit of 1/2 inch and 3/4 from last build.

Any thoughts on height of RC would also be greatly appreciated. I'll use 4 inch with either 1/2 or 3/4 depending on what ideas pop up. Will be running off a recirculating rainwater tank (5000L that's already plumbed into garage) with a 100L (total capacity) boiler, which is just waiting for me to scratch funds together to get elements.

This will be a slow build as I also suffer from a golf addiction, and still seeking out my copper pipe (mate will hopefully come through for me on this one). Any pointers and ideas are greatly appreciated and I'll update with pictures as we go.
Cheers. Brad
bac206

equipment: 2" CM Keggomax
2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller
Just finished 4" glass bubbler

Re: Bac's Glasser build

Postby tipsy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 pm

bac206 wrote:I'll update with pictures as we go.

We're ready for them :handgestures-thumbupleft:
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby Dominator » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Good stuff mate. I have to admit I love the idea of a glass rig. I was just too impatient to build one. Once I am back at work I think I will have a go at building one.

I dont know a lot about down comers, AFAIK it is kinda personal choice. 15-25mm seems to be the general idea. The distance below the plate does not make much difference. You just want to make sure it distributes the alcohol around the plate below, for this reason I went for a fairly short DC, similar to bt1. When it comes to diameter, bigger is better, too small a size and you risk flooding the column. For a 4" column, 5/8 would be the minimum, 3/4 is a good size.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby bt1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:04 pm

So it's time for me to jump onto the bubbler bandwagon. I love the appeal of the glass builds and think it would help me learn how it works abit easier given the view.

Good call and add the simplicity of build and lower cost as a few bonus points.

So I went for the 110mm glass. 2mm thick plates. On a 4 inch copper column until out of the RC, then straight down to 2 inch, do the 180 bend and into 2 inch shotgun PC, with a supporting bar in there to help with the side loading stress, as per Newstilla's build.

I got greedy and stayed 4" until I hit the shotty...adds a few points to flows but not a lot.

The downcomers is where I'm still a bit undecided/unsure. I'm thinking around the 20mm mark for depth would suit (I mostly do BWKO). However I'm not sure what would be the ideal distance below the plate to make the cap. Whether to make the short dc as per bt's build or have just above bath depth. Or does it really matter? Also, what is the better size to use? I have fair bit of 1/2 inch and 3/4 from last build.

Suggest the 3/4" inch at least.... 1/2" would struggled with what is a 6+" column diameter. On the issue of depth there a good post elsewhere re downcomer heights and the pro's and con's ...just consider if you use joiner sleeves you can alter the height with no effort or expensive mods.

Any thoughts on height of RC would also be greatly appreciated. I'll use 4 inch with either 1/2 or 3/4 depending on what ideas pop up. Will be running off a recirculating rainwater tank (5000L that's already plumbed into garage) with a 100L (total capacity) boiler, which is just waiting for me to scratch funds together to get elements.

The smaller the RC is the faster it reacts in general terms...a mid height drain gives you more flexibility at it effectively halves the RC height and improves response times. I think general consensus is around the 100mm mark....see no value in the longer RC's

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:36 am

This will be a slow build as I also suffer from a golf addiction

So comps where on Saturday, surely not playing a social on Sunday as well?

reckon we could an update on thoughts at least :D

bt1
bt1

Postby bac206 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:26 pm

Sorry mate, I work away so haven't thought to much more about it yet.
Comps probably off if rain won't bugger off. Gotta love cyclone season :handgestures-thumbdown:
Definitely going to run with the 3/4 DC, short to try spread out the liquid on the plate. Thinking the 1mm hole in the cup idea is beaut.
Just need to get home again so I can get started. No 4" as yet but I'm hoping not too far away. I'll have to start with the plates for now.
Cheers
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bac206 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 pm

First day off :handgestures-thumbupleft: Made a bit of a start today. Boring stuff really. Cut up gaskets, starting marking up plates. Apparently its time for me to replace batteries in my cordless, Bugger! But luckily for me I found some easy templates for cutting out my gaskets. A blank CD made a good outline while a lid that came with my cut jars makes a great template for internal cutting. New Stanley knife blade works good on the baking trays
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Smbjk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 pm

Looking good buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby MacStill » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:25 pm

Smbjk wrote:Looking good buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Totally agree, it'd be nice to see one of these glass rigs built with attention to detail & safety in mind :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:52 am

Off to a flying start there Bac,

keep us informed as she progresses.

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby bac206 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:27 pm

So got a bit of drilling done on the plates. Must say highly boring stuff (and frustrating when your cordless battery is on the blink). One to go and that's done. So far only broken 3 drill bits. Gotta start cleaning up, and wetting the young fellas head tomorrow. So don't think anything else will get done now till next week off.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bt1 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:32 am

Nice...yeh a workable drill helps... the lighter the better I reckon.

For saving drill bits... bit messy but a lubricant helps..WD40 or dedicated drilling lube...drill bits go blunt at around one and half plates in any case and I can't be F'd sharpening a 1.5mm bit.

Bang a few CD's on you'll be done in no time...looking good.

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby Smbjk » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:10 am

Nice job so far mate. Drilling the plates was by far the most boring thing I did on my build :angry-banghead: next time will probably buy from fsd or go bubble caps. Whats the rocks for :think: smashing your drill when it buggers up :laughing-rolling: or are the mood rocks :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby bac206 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:14 pm

I had a whippersnipper that copped that sorta treatment once, wound up with the motor and the shaft in seperate pieces. Felt much better until I had to pay for a new one. :handgestures-thumbdown: In reality it's a piece of coal and stone roof with some crystallised quartz running through it that fell out of the roof at work. Looks cool and a good reminder

Hoping old mate comes through with my 4 inch this week so we can into the fun stuff! :angry-extinguishflame:
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bac206 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 pm

So I've been shopping today. Gotta love the brew economy. All my copper for $130. 4" came from someone else
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bac206 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:38 pm

So the plates are done. 20mm rise on 3/4 down comers with 1inch caps. Found that making 4 20mm spacers to sit the plate on while soldering made getting the dc height above the plate so easy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screws in for gasket retainers.
Also got RC drilled and ready for some fire
image.jpg
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:12 pm

holy shit...you made 8 plates :-D

Can't wait to see this finished
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby bac206 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Yummyrum wrote:holy shit...you made 8 plates :-D

Nah 7 plates. Using one to join my column to glass sections at top and bottom plate with J trap will do same job. Gunna make it so I can easily take off top 3 to make it sorta modular. Either 4 or all plates. Need to see how much room is left if I can chuck some sorta packed section on top as well.
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Postby bt1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 am

Now that really is a great day in anybody's book...wd ....trust your enjoying it Bac..it's a nice one to build.

Nice work

bt1
bt1

Postby bac206 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:32 pm

So got my bottom and top column connections done.
image.jpg

And put some fire on a 4" RC with 7x 3/4 pipes running through it.
image.jpg

Not long now. 2x 4" to 2" reducers to make. A 2" PC to make, a parrot, then some plumbing. Thinking of getting 2 of them adjustable flowmeter jobbys and mounting them up on some chequer plate perhaps :think: reckon I'm gum a pinch the twist lock idea for the parrot (that's a beauty :handgestures-thumbupleft: ) as I'm height restricted with tall boiler. I'll be able to run 4 plates on the 100L boiler but to put in a packed section I'll have to use my old 50L boiler and can put in all 7 plates + 500mm packed section no dramas. Gotta score some more 1/4 inch for more easy flange rings tho so that'll be a job for next time I'm home. Really wanna get it running for bwko first up
bac206

2" Copper pot head.
DIY Voltage controller

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills