Plated Column Still Plans

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plated Column Still Plans

Postby flamehawk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

gents,

I have thoroughly search and gone through the 11 pages and i cannot locate a set of plans to build a plated still. see plenty that give build logs and they are informative however I'm not sure how they work. A set of plans would be really handy. Anyone know of a link?

thanks
ian
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Re: Plated Column Still Plans

Postby flamehawk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

I guess what i really need to know is how are the plates positioned.

What clearance is acceptable between the plate and the wall of the vertical pipe.
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 pm

plates can be possitioned heaps of ways clamped into the joint section of 2 pipes, put on a threaded rod so all plates are attached to that, you could solder them into the pipe if you never wanted to change them out.

the plates should be as tight to the wall as possible as what your creating is a bath with the perferated holes/bubble caps let the vapour pass threw the baths to give it like a extra distill per plate. then the downcomers set the bath depth when the depth reaches the height of the downcomers it flows into them and drops on the plate below or the boiler for the last plate
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:22 pm

From HD history........ The first plates made for a home 4" were cut out with a pair of tin snips ...the small gaps caused vapour bypass and particularly the bottom plate never loaded .

Some smart fellow like Mac found that if you put the plate in a nut and bolt, stuck it in a drill press and held a file against it , you could get a very tight fitting plate that would seal against the side and not cause the vapour bypass.

This same fellow also made modular stills that had the plate clamped tight onto the gasket .......Check out macs early builds ...its all there

Also check out Austin Nichols on HD :hand:
Last edited by Sam. on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:39 pm

you wont need plans the build logs show you everything and you can chose what you want to do and how you do it, also the time and cost you want to put into it as well. Read up some more you will work it out :D there is alot of work goes into building one so be prepared and alot of frustration will be had as well :laughing-rolling:
kelbygreen

Postby flamehawk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 pm

I've built steam engines before so i think i have the skill to knock one out. I'm rather driven when i want something.

Few good ideas like the plate placed in between the seals. For some reason i did not think to shove it into my lathe :wtf:

Might just start with some 100mm T pieces and go from there! Steady as she goes.
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:05 pm

sounds good :handgestures-thumbupleft: there will be some headaches along the way I wanted to punch mine out fast and its been near a year since I done anything :oops: but going into it with a different attitude now then before dont want to build it fast just keep it in my mind and do bits where I can :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kelbygreen

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:06 pm

kinda depends if you want to strive for...optimal or just plain functional.

Lots of build blogs here but the areas where design/build can influence outcomes is sometimes missing.

Depends on your view of life, you may choose to consider bath depths, bubble caps vs. perf plates vs valved trays, downcomer ideas, modular for varying drink variations valved trays etc.

Plate gap to column wall is just one issue addressed via assembly methods, acid etching/patena development, chilling/heating/oiling, floating centre vs. fixed rod plate trees, pyrex segments vs. copper.

11 pages is basic...How far do you want to take this?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:20 pm

What bt1 said.......but you can start going round in circles never being able to commit to one design due to all the possible variations ......this is where I am :angry-banghead:

Or you could take the logical approach like Bushy did and just choose a sensible common ground design and bash it out in a few days...hes been drinking bubbler juice for over a year and I'm still looking at bits in the shed and drinking Pot stilled stuff
Yummyrum

Postby bt1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Yumm,

just tell us how far you want to go down the tube of design....There's no rocket science here you just need to decide where you want to be...

basic, functional, optimal...

The best build ever.... is the one you complete!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Bushy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Yummyrum wrote:What bt1 said.......but you can start going round in circles never being able to commit to one design due to all the possible variations ......this is where I am :angry-banghead:

Or you could take the logical approach like Bushy did and just choose a sensible common ground design and bash it out in a few days...hes been drinking bubbler juice for over a year and I'm still looking at bits in the shed and drinking Pot stilled stuff

Cheers mate.
I spent more time reading and thinking about bubblers than I took building one. For sure. I read every build thread on every forum. But the build time is unimportant.
Plan yr build, get the bits, bloody build it. I reckon.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby MacStill » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Took me a good 6 months to build todays Mac 4, after a few years of about 30 prototypes that are still being used today.... things have come a long way.

There's some real dodgy advice out there, be careful who you listen to & follow your gut.

For example: I wouldn't be building a 6 plate still for whiskies, rums or the likes (IMHO it's a still that fits the "no mans land" category, it's lost, it's neither good at flavors or neutrals 8-} ) then spending a year trying to improve flavor :laughing-rolling: guess it depends what you call optimum ;-)

Building yourself is great if you follow a few simple guidelines, the more you stray from the proven designs that work the more variable issues you could be facing, so by going modular you can remove/revert/change easily with out the need of a total rebuild.

If you know you want a purpose built 1 piece still for flavors, a 4 plate bubble cap still is going to be hard to beat ;-)

Take it slow and keep it simple, you wont regret it.

Mac.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby flamehawk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 am

I am time poor so the ability to run a wash through quickly appeals to be greatly.

The look of the MAC 4"SSG is without doubt a magnificent piece of engineering. I may very well go that way.

I would like to add a SS port to the back to add an LED light. After all you want people to see what's going on
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:23 am

flamehawk wrote:I am time poor so the ability to run a wash through quickly appeals to be greatly.

The look of the MAC 4"SSG is without doubt a magnificent piece of engineering. I may very well go that way.

I would like to add a SS port to the back to add an LED light. After all you want people to see what's going on

You have you're answer right there mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Time poor means you gotta buy the Mac4 ;-)
Forget about the port and tinkering for now, get the Mac4 and make the most of your time *I need a drinking emoticon right here*
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:29 am

I think Mac is on the Money there, 6 plates will strip too much flavour from a Whiskey or Rum and not enough for a Vodka.
Its a bit of a nowhere design!
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby flamehawk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:44 pm

100mm copper seems very bloody pricey. Tradelink seem think that people don't shop around.

I had an idea :ugeek:

two 100mm joiners, brazed together with a MACs SS feurrell either end.

You could cover the braze with a lovely brass 4-5mm strip soft soldered on.

Thoughts?
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Or make easy flanges....cheaper .....also new technique is to just solder the copper ring on ...no flange bashing required ...that's what I'll be doing.

yeah and don't buy new 100mm copper ...especially from tradelink ...they are cheap for couplers and Tees but definitely not for pipe......try the scrape yards :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby flamehawk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:12 pm

Is there are thread on the new technique?
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 pm

flamehawk wrote:Is there are thread on the new technique?

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3087#p45959
Good shit here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby flamehawk » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:51 am

Yep saw the easy flange before. Tried to make some with soft solder. Fail!

I'll keep an eye out for the new technique of just soldering the ring straight on
flamehawk

50k Keg
2400w element

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills