Bryan's Bubbler Build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Bryan's Bubbler Build

Postby bluc » Wed May 18, 2016 8:31 pm

Glad to hear you got it sorted good stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Grr took the still apart to give it a good clean before the sac run and on putting back the lower site glass ended up in a million shards :angry-banghead: Just looked in the 5 star store only to find the 3" siteglass's are out of stock :crying-blue: O'well hopefully they will in store soon as that 100 odd litres of TPW is getting there and I reckon about 2-3 weeks before it's ready. I will get a few spare siteglass's too as it's always safe to be sorry. :))
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Milky » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:47 pm

That's too bad. Sucks hey. Just make a few copper or stainless blanking discs until you get your new glasses. S
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby WTDist » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Milky wrote:That's too bad. Sucks hey. Just make a few copper or stainless blanking discs until you get your new glasses. S

:text-+1: exactly what i thought, then i read your post. easy fix :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Thanks for the idea Milky :dance: after I read it I was straight back up to the to A put more wood on the fire for the TPW and B cutout a 90mm disc out of copper for the quick fix. As it was the lower one that broke I'll swap it with the third tee then one will be able to see the tails when they arrive.

Next time I'm out at the bridge I'll get some 4" SS and make the outlet of the boiler 4" for extra strength.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Bryan1 wrote:Grr took the still apart to give it a good clean before the sac run and on putting back the lower site glass ended up in a million shards :angry-banghead: Just looked in the 5 star store only to find the 3" siteglass's are out of stock :crying-blue: O'well hopefully they will in store soon as that 100 odd litres of TPW is getting there and I reckon about 2-3 weeks before it's ready. I will get a few spare siteglass's too as it's always safe to be sorry. :))

Give them a call tomorrow Bryan; the online store sometimes doesn't reflect the true nature of reality and if it does, they'll be able to tell you how long a wait you've got.

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well got the sight glass's and in pural YES I got a spare :-B also got a new 3" triclamp as the one I got from the scrappie was bent and was pain to tighten to get a seal. Went and cashed in SWBO's cider bottles ( the last CUB ones she'll ever drink) and got 2 4 litre goon bags from the local bottlo. I did ask the guy eh is that $12 stuff the cheapest and nastiest stuff you got here where he replied yes it is. I did say well I aint gunna drink the shit it for a cleaning run and he just laughed and said yea mate that is about all it's good for but it is a good seller and not for that good reason you just said.

Anyway fixed the 5Kva genset carbie, the dam linkage finally broke away and luckily I got to shut the genny down before it over sped and blew to bits. 2nd attempt with the tig got a new bit welded on. Just had to give it a decent run so gave the shed batteries a good charge. As when running the 12 volt pump makes a bit of noise I may aswell have the genset running so I don't drain the batteries while doing a run. Bugger the noise as I'll have my head phones on listening to bacobens top 500 going full bore.

So tomorrow finally the sac run will get done and after that I'll go for a water run to get some distilled water to use for my $12 ph tester I bought after reading in another thread where a fleabay link was saying CLICK ME CLICK ME

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:00 am

Better get some pics of the first runs mate! And get a wash fermenting, I'll be off in 12 days time to come out for a look and glue this boiler up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:21 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well got the sac run done and pretty happy with it so did a little Video of the run.

Not sure why the youtube aint embedding
Last edited by Zak Griffin on Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Nice work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:54 pm

Nice one Bryan, looks great.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby flamehawk » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:49 am

The first run is pretty amazing and you can't wait to see those plates load. :smile:

I had a similar issue where one plate failed to load properly and it was due to poor sealing. Might be worth using a spray bottle with dishwashing liquid mixed in and spraying it around to find any additional leaks.

Well done on the build and its something that you will get a stack of use from.
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:58 am

3 out of 4 ain't bad!

Has the thumper got internals yet?
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:15 am

Yea Zac the thumper has a 2" bubble cap on the lower plate fed from a 30mm copper pipe along with a 30mm downcomer set at 170mm. Next jobbie is stripping it down and doing a full leak test, ie: seal up the base with the 4" plate I got to seal the fill port for the boiler then fill it with water and leave it for a day. Then once I'm happy everything is right put it all back together and do a water run to get some distilled water. After that got 30 litres of TPW that is well and truly cleared to strip and hopefully the first of the 60 litre fermenters should be ready to strip.

This new still is way out there for what I've ever done before and still got a big learning curve to go. But I'm happy this build is close to finished as the stocks are getting low.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Rowey » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:07 am

Well done Bryan great job looks the goods :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Not long now and you will be enjoying a nice drop :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Rowey

equipment: Turbo 500, built a pot still, Boka. Currently building a 4 inch bubbler

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:28 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well third time lucky with the steam run to get all the leaks fixed and found my second attempt at fixing the 6-4" reducer on the thumper still leaked. :angry-banghead: Anyway as soft solder seems to not want to work I'm going to cut the solder out with a hacksaw blade then tig weld it up and that surely fix the bloody leak. :)) Anyway I do need a packed section so when I run out of gas doing the steam run off to the scrap yard to part with some cabbage and get some 3 or 4" for the packed section. I'll also have a look at the SS and see what he has got for the boiler build. Got a 4" ferrule coming from Mac and I just hope it is high enough to clear the fill port. If not got another keg here to make a new boiler and the present will get cut up to make a boil pot.

All good fun..... :happy-partydance:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Dig Brinker » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Grab a short piece of 4" ss if ya can and extend the ferrule to clear your fill port :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 pm

I've got heaps of spare 3" if you can't find any 4" for your packed section at the scrappy mate.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:13 pm

G'day Guy's,
Well it was well worth the trip out to the bridge today :happy-partydance: picked up a length of 4" and a duel EPDM flanged 4" section. So now fixed the dilemma of the fill port on the boiler and now with the one coming I will have enough for my new boiler project where I put a steam jacket around the keg and see if that flash boiler I made will do the job.

today score.jpg

So looks like a productive weekend ahead ( not in SWMBO's eyes) :naughty: but I'll get on and weld in the 4" on the boiler and make the packed section. I do have some SS mesh here with a heap of 2mm holes so I'll use that for the base. Then for now put a heap of SS scrubbers in and then down the track try and source some lava rock that I've read other guy's use.

Anyway Zac, along with that short section of 3" for the gin basket mate I'll now need 500mm so I can keep the parrot at the right level when I have the packed section and thumper on.

Cheers Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby googe » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:15 pm

nice rig mate. love the work on the thumper, very neat :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills