Have a crack at a glasser

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Have a crack at a glasser

Postby kickarum » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:44 pm

Hi all
Hope to get as much feedback as possible on this. Soon to start a bubbler build and need to finalise an order for Mac, so just want to run the basic design past you all hoping for pointers and tips before I order components that are out of proportion or just don't suit, I doubt if there would be a better place than here to seek assistance so please give generously.
Start by adding a 5SD 4" filler port/sight glass to my keg. Come out of the existing 4" port Tri clamp into either a short section of 4"SS or a copper boil ball (opinions please) up through 6x Macs new style glass cylinders approx 102mm ID 112mm OD and I think 120mm long made modular with SS flanges and brass connection rods. I hope to take advantage of Macs generous cost price perf plates, assistance in DC design would be much appreciated.
After leaving the last glass there will be a 5SD 4"-3" reducer then a Tri 3" copper RC again design features appreciated, then a 5SD 3"-2" reducer and 2x 5SD 2" 90 Deg bends after them there wil be a Tri 2" copper shotty, length and tube configuration please? followed by a 5SD 2"-3/4" reducer and finish with a home made copper parrot. After running as a bubbler I hope to make a modular 2" or 3" packed section and a 3" botanical basket. Thanks in advance, I'm hoping you will all support me with the wealth of knowledge that is aussiedistiller.
I know why not just buy a 5SD neutraliser? A question I have been asking myself. I have the workshop, I want to create a family heirloom, I like the look of the glassers and I want to mix up the metals.
Hope to hear from you All Thanks Kickarum.
kickarum

equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Re: Have a crack at a glasser

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 pm

If this is going to be as nice as the other work we've seen from you I've got bugger all to say.

I'll just sit here & wait for the pics :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:53 pm

:text-+1: Its not often I keep me gob shut.....but I was thinking the same :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby kickarum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi all
Finished full time work a week ago and am busy moving my workshop home, should be finished in a week and then start the glasser build.
It's my birthday tomorrow and Mr & Mrs Mac sent me some goodies to kick the build off, as usual 5SD shone thru with great communication, prompt dispatch, not to mention BUBBLE WRAP and them little extras 5SD has become famous for.:text-thankyoublue:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kickarum

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Happy Bubble wrap too you..
Happy Bubble wrap dear Kickarum...
Happy Bubble wrap too you. :D .
Yummyrum

Postby 1 2many » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:09 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Happy Bubble wrap too you..
Happy Bubble wrap dear Kickarum...
Happy Bubble wrap too you. :D .

:text-+1: :)) :)) Have a good one mate and looking forward to your build. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby RS_Gav » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 am

Looking forward to seeing the finished product already!
I always thought the same of buying a pre-fabbed still, but there is nothing quite like seeing that first drop of spirit spill from your own 'made' still!

All the best with this one mate. Keep the pics coming'
RS_Gav

equipment: I'm working on it!

Postby bt1 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:50 am

take your time enjoy the build... best weeks in a year are spent building and then the first run...

look forward to hearing on this

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby dogbreath vodka » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 am

:text-+1:
Enjoy the build mate.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby SBB » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:46 pm

Looking forward to watching the progress of this build, if Penny is any indication this one will be a cracker. Don't forget the photos as you go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby kickarum » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi all
I'm trying to work out, what to do about getting the right area of perf on the plates, I believe 8% open holes is correct for a perf plate, I think this is only perf holes not including D.C. the plates I've got have 187 holes, so I would need to open them out to 2mm Dia to get 7.8% opening. So are 2mm Dia holes to large to function correctly?
Cheers Kick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kickarum

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:10 pm

use them as is mate, they'll perform flawlessly ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kickarum » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:53 pm

Ok Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kickarum

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Can't wait to see how you are going to fit the plates into the glasser .....thinking a new era in glassers is about to be revealed :D
Yummyrum

Postby SBB » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Yummy your supposed to be out in the shed, not lurking around perving on other peoples builds. :violence-stickwhack:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 1 2many » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:36 pm

SBB wrote:Yummy your supposed to be out in the shed, not lurking around perving on other peoples builds. :violence-stickwhack:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Gold :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:00 pm

SBB wrote:Yummy your supposed to be out in the shed, not lurking around perving on other peoples builds. :violence-stickwhack:

+45

Yummyrum wrote:Can't wait to see how you are going to fit the plates into the glasser .....thinking a new era in glassers is about to be revealed :D

Reckon cutting back a a EPDM seal would work here ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:10 pm

FFS SBB .. :law-policered: ...can't a bloke have a secret lurk in peace :-D ...all right ...all right...back in the shed :laughing-rolling:
Yummyrum

Postby kickarum » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Yummy will have to read this later, I'm sure his out in the shed head down arse up. Unfortunately I'm still in the process of moving my workshop into my rapidly becoming crowded garage, however I will try to post heaps of pic when I get started in the next week or so. I just hope I can hold my own with some of the inspiring builds Ive seen here.
Yummy are you busy soldering or did you sneak off painting toe nails again :laughing-rolling:
Cheers
kickarum

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:54 pm

kickarum wrote:Yummy will have to read this later, I'm sure his out in the shed head down arse up. Unfortunately I'm still in the process of moving my workshop into my rapidly becoming crowded garage, however I will try to post heaps of pic when I get started in the next week or so. I just hope I can hold my own with some of the inspiring builds Ive seen here.
Yummy are you busy soldering or did you sneak off painting toe nails again :laughing-rolling:
Cheers

Nah he's replying to the bullshit condenser thread 8-}

Yummyrum IP: ommitted » Whois
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0 Replying to topic in Hardware Research & Development

:))

EDIT: oh fuck, I stuffed up again... the reply was in the "other" thread in that section :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills