The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby woodduck » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:00 am

Not sure how much more detail I can give, I'm pretty sure it's all there just spread out through the thread.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby woodduck » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:31 am

Go on mac, we'd all love to see a retro 8" build :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Wonder if ya can get 8" sight glasses :teasing-tease:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am

woodduck wrote:Go on mac, we'd all love to see a retro 8" build :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Wonder if ya can get 8" sight glasses :teasing-tease:

6" sight glasses look cool, I'll show you one in coming days :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm at that stage where I've got to start putting this thing together so I can get my lengths right for my 180 and pc but I'm still struggling with how to hold my glass and or seals in place. I was toying with the idea of making rings from 6mm tube to hold it in place but because the glass differs in size and they aren't quite round it would mean costom size for every glass, a nightmare to dismantle and put back together. I was thinking about going along the same lines as most of you other guys and making thinner wider seals out of baking sheet and using screws to hold in place, they may be less likely to move than the thicker skinnier ones I have?

A couple of questions for you glasser builders out there if you don't mind, do the glass and seals grip alright or do they have a tendency to slip and move? Have any of your seals leaked? Am I stessing too much about nothing? :think:

Any feedback you have will be more than welcome. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby 5 o'clock » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 pm

woodduck wrote:Go on mac, we'd all love to see a retro 8" build :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Wonder if ya can get 8" sight glasses :teasing-tease:

When you asked Mac about an 8" sight glass I bet you weren't expecting that he would go much bigger a couple of days later.

He has basically said "I'll meet your bet and raise you, I'm all in! Here's a 12"!"
5 o'clock

equipment: Modular bubble plate still on a keg with 2 elements. Mostly run it as a pot so far.

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 pm

Yer he did that alright.
Just think what his next one might be :think: how big can he go?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby 1 2many » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:29 pm

woodduck wrote:Yer he did that alright.
Just think what his next one might be :think: how big can he go?

About 4" I believe triclamps only come to 16" :scared-eek:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:32 pm

I'm sure he's working on that problem as we speak. :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 am

Yeah 16" is the largest ferrule/clamp I can get, got shop drawings ready to go but this will only be sold off the plans.... be stuffed if I'll be stocking anything that size tho.

I've got a price back on a new 8" thump pod now, just need to tweak a couple of minor points and I could have them available in 3 to 5 weeks, but they've got some autumn festivities over in China and aren't back to work until the 8th so I cant really give you any info until then.

I'll say one thing tho, it's gunna be as flash as a rat with gold teeth :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 pm

Ok guys I got a bit more done over the weekend. I made up my 4"-2" cone, my 180 return, my 500mm packed section and my pc is pretty close to done it just needs a cone made up for the celection tube. What size tube do people usaly use down to their parrot 1/2"? I have also cleaned up all my other bits and given them a spray of clear coat to try keep them looking good, well I hope anyway. I was going to start putting it all together but I'm a threaded rod short and didn't like the idea of trying to get that last one in through all those plates and nuts after. I've disided not to worry about holding the seals and glass I think there will be enough pressure there to hold them in place, fingers crossed.

I was in town the other day so I popped into bunnings to get a few things and ended up getting some gear for my cooling system. The only thing I couldn't get were the y pieces so I dropped into fleeces on the way past and I'll have you all know there is no such thing as a y piece wtf? (I thought I knew jack shit), he argued black and blue I would not find them anywhere especially at a bunnings!!! You can only get t pieces he says. Well I'll be fucked the other bunnings I went to had a whole box full of these mysterious things :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

For those interested I made my cone from flattened 4" and drew up a template (I think there are instructions for this somewhere on the forum) then cut it out and slowly bent it around in the vise then sort of beat it around a bit of pipe. I welded short bits of 2and 4" pipe on either end to make my flanges easier then groung the welds flat so you cant see them. I should mention I tig welded mine together not sure how you would go soldering them. Hard solder might be best?
Anyway heres some photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 pm

A couple more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Looking awesome there mate, you must love polishing copper :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:39 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:Looking awesome there mate, you must love polishing copper :D

:text-+1: Good thing too Woody , cause I love looking at it :handgestures-thumbupleft: ..Top job , love the reducer.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:42 pm

I figured I'll only do it once, or twice or three times, dam it I have been a bit premeture with some of it but hey we live and learn. I just want her to look sexy for you lot :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 pm

Mate that looks bloody awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Well I got a bit more done this weekend and it's so close I can taste it. I dicided I needed my boiler done so I could build the column on something sturdy aswell as get an idea on hights for my parrot etc. I dicided on a 50 ltr squat keg I had on hand since I buggered the top trying to get the spear out. :angry-banghead: I sized it all up for my 4" column connection aswell as 4" fill port/sight glass, and they just fit nice. A couple of holes in the side for my elements and one in the bottom for a 3/4" drain.I have tiged my 2 top fittings in. I'm a bit pissed off that I went a bit hard with the die grinder so my hole for the site glass was too big so my welds ended up a bit shitty :handgestures-thumbdown: .The drain hasn't been fitted yet because I wanted to build my column first before diciding on my leg hight (drain will hang out the bottom). No point having all that glass if it's too low to see :)) then came the exciting bit, putting it all together yay. But I have to say threading all those nuts on isn't that exciting. I really enjoyed putting this thing together, it took me back to my child hood building lego, oh who am I kidding, I still play with lego :laughing-rolling:. After seeing it all together I have to say I'm glad I don't have to get it in a house, It would be a bit squeezey I recon. With the packed section on she is 2.2 mtrs tall without the legs, which will most likely be 300mm, so a total of 2.5m. Man the neutralizer must be huge! I now just need to finish off the pc, make a reducer and a few bits down to my parrot aswell as my parrot, fit some nice adjustable legs to the boiler, fit the drain, fit the elements and wire them up, doesn't sound like much if I say it quick :)) . A few things I found that I overlooked and or learnt, make sure when you make your plates that you line up your threaded rod holes so your downcomers will be directly opposite each other, mine aren't quite right which pisses me off :angry-banghead: and I think I may have flattened my easy flanges too much, a couple of them are a bit loose so I'll have to use the seals with ribs on them so they will pull up tight and yes you guessed it I have already cut the ribs off, shit! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I'll just top up my order from mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: so here's a bit of a preview of what she'll be like. I have noticed it has a bit of a lean and the 180 isn't quite 180 but I'll fix that up.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Gezz Woody..... You're beating yourself up for nothing . That Boiler and still look fantastic . :handgestures-thumbupleft: If I could weld SS ,I'd be happy

Like the way you have the elements to the side....recon it keeps the cables and things out of the way when you're standing in front of it .
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Cheers yummy, it just shits me off cause i actually care about this job, i want it too look it's best. yer i like the elements there too, i saw it on one of macs builds.i will make a cover over both of them instead of each then short cords out so i don't trip over them when moving the boiler like i do know :angry-banghead: . I am also going to make up a voltage control box that will be separate so i can plug it into whatever element/ boiler i like. Even got a flash as volt meter to put on it :D. They are only cheap Chinese from fleabay so i got 2 just incase but i found the last one i got from there has been quite relyable.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 pm

Hi bj,
I'm going to plumb mine up the same as mac has done in viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5400. I got all the gear from bunnings as it said in macs thread, I just had to visit a couple of stores to get it all. A week or so ago I plumbed a line into the shed from my rainwater tank that has a pressure pump on it already, so now I have a tap right next to my still. For the return I have a hose going back outside and into my gutter on the shed, only because my tank is sealed too well. The setup works well and no need for hoses everywhere like it was before lol.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:27 pm

MATE!! The Glass Duck is really taking shape now :handgestures-thumbupleft: she's looking really good.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills