The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:14 am

Apollo 1?

Cause now you're hooked and there will be more. :D :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Very nice rig Woody.
With the amount of evolution in these stills I am wondering what is coming next.
All good to see.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Canuck » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

call him Neil, very sweet build!!!! ^:)^ ^:)^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:53 pm

People say I am a picky MF but your baby blows my mind .I now have still envy .AAA+ for that effort.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

I find myself going back to have a perve on this rig.. Is that normal?
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:08 pm

OK
How about Atomic warhead?
Mushroom? ..... cause you keep me in the dark and feed me on...

:D :D :D :D
DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby 1 2many » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Unreal build woodduck you must be pretty proud of yourself on that build she is amazing. it just looks right ..think it must be the legs that do it for me :clap: :clap: :clap:

Now get cookin :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bayshine » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:36 pm

I think with the space theme and all( and I know you guys prefer girls names) 8-)
But I'm thinking

Major tom 8-}
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:08 pm

If it were me I'd just call it "my rig" :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Hey guys,

once again thanks for your kind words it really is nice to hear others are getting some enjoyment out of it aswell. And yer 12 i have to admit i am pretty happy with how it turned out, i only hope it preforms as good as it looks.

DBV i think your right, i have got the bug. I've got that many ideas rolling around in my head for the next one but think I'll concentrate on getting some good booze out of this one for a while. Plus i think my family will kill me if i started another, i have to admit i have been a little bit too focused on this still for a while now and i need to put some family time back in for a bit i recon. But....... i do have that 4" ss still sitting there :laughing-rolling:

Hillzabilly, that is a cool pick but i hope my still doesn't turn out like that :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

As for the name, it's like naming one of my kids, i don't want to get it wrong :)) you blokes are putting up some good ones but I'm still not sure :think: well i better think quick cause i need to name it before i run it. 2 more sleeps yay.

Mac, simple but affective and i guess if i think about it, it will be called that a fare bit anyway.

I have just finished running a new power supply down to my still ready to take all 5800watts I'll be pulling from the grid. I used some heavy arsed cable i had left over from when i put power to my shed, something like 5-6 mm. Twin 15 amp wall socket plus another cable to run all my heaters, pumps etc. I should mention i did get my mate who is a qualified sparky to hook it into the box, that invisible bitey stuff isn't something you want to mess with. So my distilling area now has running water and power. :handgestures-thumbupleft: just the electricals on the still to go, should get that done tomorrow night.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Canuck » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:12 am

how about Grreta Garbo, or just Garbo, nice legs!
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:06 am

woodduck wrote: 2 more sleeps yay

So whats the maiden run gonna be?

I want to see some pics of this girl in action!! :D
Urrazeb

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:48 am

Just finished wiring and plumbing her up for tomorrow. So she's ready to go :happy-partydance: :dance:
Big day planned with vinegar run followed by some turbo neutral shit (watered down to 40%) I've got lying around followed by some mac burbon wash topped up with some low wines. Can't wait, haven't been this excited since I was a kid waiting for santa. Not sure i can sleep tonight :laughing-rolling: if i hadn't been drinking so much i recon I'd crank her up right now (i may need to check some of my wiring tomorrow before i start :laughing-rolling: )

Any tips for tomorrow's run? I was planning on running by macs guide so i shouldnt go too far wrong.

Wish me luck and there will be picks and video tomorrow, if all goes well :pray: If it blows up and kills me there won't :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby BIG D » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:25 am

Macs guide will serve you well Woody and take out some variables that might ruin your day. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:06 am

BIG D wrote:Macs guide will serve you well Woody and take out some variables that might ruin your day. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep that's the way, just keep it real simple and run conservatively the first few runs.... after that you can start looking for it's limits, ad flow meters and temp guages etc etc.

Start simple you cant go wrong, add variables n shit you'll be pulling your hair out in no time.

enjoy the maiden voyage :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:44 am

MacStill wrote:
BIG D wrote:Macs guide will serve you well Woody and take out some variables that might ruin your day. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep that's the way, just keep it real simple and run conservatively the first few runs.... after that you can start looking for it's limits, ad flow meters and temp guages etc etc.

Start simple you cant go wrong, add variables n shit you'll be pulling your hair out in no time.

:text-+1:

Have fun wooduck. You have put a lot of work into this rig and it's time to prove it's worth :teasing-tease: you'll be fine mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Brendan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:53 am

MacStill wrote:Yep that's the way, just keep it real simple and run conservatively the first few runs.... after that you can start looking for it's limits, ad flow meters and temp guages etc etc.

I still find the two coolant valves, and my power controller enough variables to work with :))
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby MacStill » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:01 am

Brendan wrote:
MacStill wrote:Yep that's the way, just keep it real simple and run conservatively the first few runs.... after that you can start looking for it's limits, ad flow meters and temp guages etc etc.

I still find the two coolant valves, and my power controller enough variables to work with :))

Yeah for sure a power controller is handy, I use one myself too...... but a bubbler (well a Mac 4 SSG) will run perfectly on 2400w without one.

Urrazeb posted somewhere earlier that eluded to using your senses rather than gadgets, and that's pretty much what I do too, for first timers simplicity is the only way to go, perf plate rigs require a little more attention but bubble caps are like driving an automatic car, just put it in D for Distill and away you go :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:08 am

MacStill wrote: bubble caps are like driving an automatic car, just put it in D for Distill and away you go :teasing-neener:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :music-deathmetal:
Urrazeb

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks guys,

I like simple 8-} . I have a voltage controler here that i wired up last night, so thats good but I'll try not to play with it too much :laughing-rolling:

The first bit of steam has just started to rise from my vinigar run. Hell it was quick only 15 minutes.

Can't chat still'n :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft: photos to come.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:31 am

Quick question,

Should i be running the vinegar flat out with both elements? Or back off to 1

It's ok I've worked it out, just had a little panic that's all 8-} :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills