The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:22 pm

So the maiden run went well and as promised here are a couple of vids. I hope they work. Now it took me hours to try and set up all these youtube, gmail accounts and crap (you wouldn't think it would be so hard to think of a bogus name :laughing-rolling: ) just so you lot can have a nosey so you better like them :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

First one is the sacrificial run so theres a bit of shit smeared on the glass and the alc is a bit dirty but it clears up a on the next run.

Bubbler maiden run

This one is the BWKO run i did.

Well enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Bubbler:

EDIT yes i did shit myself in the second one and no it wasn't the still blowing up it was a football kicked at the shed, thanks son :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by Sam. on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube links ;)
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby flamehawk » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:32 pm

That's a really nice looking rig.

Well done!

Running a bubbler is good fun given there is something to look at. :)
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby MacStill » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:57 pm

That boiler is the best keg I've seen yet, rest of the build aint far off the mark either.... you should be really proud ducky, you're an achiever of great things there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 am

flamehawk wrote:That's a really nice looking rig.

Well done!

Running a bubbler is good fun given there is something to look at. :)

Couldn't agree more i love running it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hell, thanks mac. That's some kind words.

Cheers guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 pm

That's awesome woody, love the legs on the keg, a "lunar module" look :laughing-rolling:

I love watching the plates bubble away but yours is memerizing! Very well done mate! ^:)^
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby 1 2many » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Simply magic woodduck very impressive... could look at that rig run all day, thanks for the vids :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Potmash Boka » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:37 pm

Sexy build, can't watch the YouTube vids though.
Potmash Boka

equipment: 2" pot and 4" thumper, 4" pot, 2" SS reflux, 2.5" Boka. 4" 5 plate bubbler( almost done, need to some bits and to make the column round again). SS boiler, 80L keg, 50L keg and a 30L keg boilers.
Various pieces of copper pipe laying around for future experiments.

Postby Sam. » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Potmash Boka wrote: can't watch the YouTube vids though.

Working fine here :?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Canuck » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:55 am

pick a name yet? or getting to know her first...
Canuck

equipment: 44" *2" VM column with double wound condenser. modular 3" VM/pot (214 cm vm,160cm pot), 50 cm 2" shot pc 4*1/2", triple wound condenser with cold finger

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Well i ran a slightly bastardized WBAB (used cornflakes instead of allbran) wash on Saturday with the packed section to see if i could get a neutral out of her but it wasn't to be :crying-blue:, these bubblers shore do bring through the flavour even at 96% and slow take off. I'm thinking that my 15mm bath depth is to low and i may need another plate. Just lucky i was prepared, i thought this may be a problem so when i made the downcomers i expanded the top so i could easily fit a extension tube in for more hight :-D . The only problem is undoing all those nuts :cry: . I'm thinking when I've got it apart, which might be soon since i emptied all my fermenters on the he weekend :happy-partydance: , i might rearrange so i run with 4 plates 25mm bath and an easy fit on 5th plate/glass for when i want neutrals. Should i be looking into a 6th plate for neutrals? Or should i be doing strip runs then go with the 5? Or both :think: Mmmmm.... So many things to try, well i can't say this hobby is boring :))

I'll keep you all up to date :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:00 pm

Hey WD, try stripping first and then a steady spirit run.

6th plate shouldn't be necessary and 15mm BD should be ok.

Bubblers will drag flavours through at aezo, all my neutrals get stripped first and I've always been happy with the result.

I strip hard and fast through 4 plates and 5 plates + packed section with the LW always hits the spot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I can reconfigure my bubbler to a pot, would that be any benifit? Would it be quicker or would the bubbler aid in stripping some flavour?

Do you use the TPW or WBAB? I'm wondering if the TPW would have less flavour to strip, maybe that might help. Is there any merit in that thought or am i just splitting hairs. :think:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:20 pm

I use a modified weetbix wash for sipping vodkas and tpw for flavoured batches (ex gin)

I wouldn't bother reconfiguration, run a whiskey or rum, wash her out, charge up with neutral wash and let her rip. I believe the bit of reflux you get with extra plates helps strip a tiny bit of flavour but mostly because I'm a lazy bugger and try to do it as efficiently as possible (as low amount of tri clamp fingering as possible) it doesn't slow things down apart from a slight slowing of the vapour hitting the 90° but actual take off is the same

My runs go whiskey, rum, strip neutral, reconfigure to neutralser, vodka, gin.. Rinse and repeat or to that effect :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:34 pm

Good stuff thanks.

Sounds like you've got your routine down to a fine art.

I'll give it another crack, when I've got something to run, come on little yeasties :))
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Rush006 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:23 am

Hi woodduck, I love your still and keg. Was wondering if I would be able to copy your keg design, it is by far the best I've seen. Just don't want to step on toes if some time down the track I post a photo of my rig and the keg looks like yours. :shock:
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby woodduck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Nah go for it mate, no trademarks here :handgestures-thumbupleft:

most of my still was just copied from the forum anyway. if i was worried i would never had put up picks, but thanks for checking in. In fact it's a pretty good feeling when someone likes your design that much they want to copy it. Hell mac must feel pretty dam good most of the time.

I'll just change my thread title to "The glass duck featuring the original 3 legged, squat to pee boiler" :teasing-neener: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

One thing i would say is put your elements further around towards the back or on the opposite side to your take off, mine is in the way a bit.

Good luck with your build :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Rush006 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Thanks mate, will do.
Rush006

equipment: mac4 ssg

Postby Linno » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:43 pm

all These glass stills look super

your Glass Duck looks awesome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

if I ever decide to change from my current one this is what I would use.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby woodduck » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Thanks linno :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi guys,

As you've probably seen the "Duck" looks a little different now with the thumper and only 4 plates. It's been working well for my brown spirits but now I'm running low on vodka/ neutral so I have to change it up again. As we all know 4 plates and packed section doesn't quite do it for the neutrals so i need to get that 5th plate back on. I thought about using socket nuts and so on to join the threaded rod but this all seems like a pain in the butt and time consuming. I have a different idea but thought I'd run it past some of you guru's first.

What I'm thinking of doing is cutting my original 5th plate back to 4"OD so it fits inside 4" pipe then fitting it into a piece about 60mm long with easy flanges both ends. I could then simply tri clamp it between the riser above the 4th plate and packed section. I wouldn't be able to see what's going on on the 5th plate but i don't see any real problem with that, would there be? There would be about 30mm of clearance from the top of the bubble caps and the mesh plate on the bottom of the packed section, would this be enough? I've attached a sketch to give you a bit of an idea.

I'd love to hear some of your thoughts on the idea
cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills