The glass duck

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: The glass duck

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Holy snappin duckshit that looks freaking awesome!!
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Thanks guys.

Now i just need one of those pumps you were talking about Urrazeb.any chance you could tell me what they are called and where do i get one?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:56 pm

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 46&alt=web

Clark Rubber for the hose, or keg king sell it. Or you could go through an industrial supplier. About $8 a meter
Urrazeb

Postby woodduck » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Cheers mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: just ordered one. Man I'm a bad impulse buyer.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby punchy21 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:24 pm

That's awesome woodduck :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Love it!
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:44 am

Top stuff Woody
Those legs are just the ticket.

Bet you'll be seeing a few more keg boiler with legs like those in the future. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Onward and upward. :D :D

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Sam. » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:50 am

Urrazeb wrote:Holy snappin duckshit that looks freaking awesome!!

:text-+1: best looking home made boiler I have seen for a while :clap:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1 2many » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:36 pm

Sam. wrote:
Urrazeb wrote:Holy snappin duckshit that looks freaking awesome!!

:text-+1: best looking home made boiler I have seen for a while :clap:

:text-+1: Looks frigging grouse and no way that will tip, gret job woodduck :clap: :clap: :clap:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks guys,
That sort of feedback from you experienced guys is really encouraging, it keeps my enthusiasm going :handgestures-thumbupleft: with that said i recon i could get this still going by the weekend,. Just a few more fittings to make and a parrot and I'll be there. I just hope after all this that it works ok :pray: if not it'll be a pretty good ornament or coat rack :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Well one step closer.

I've got most of my parrot and pc done tonight. I just need to put the still together so i can work out my lengths for the parrot and the extension when using the packed section, put a vent in the parrot then they just need a polish and a coat of laquar. Can't wait :dance: , i might even go put on a turbo ready for the weekend :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: i didn't think I'd ever hear myself say that sentence again.

FYI the soft solder works a treat for the stainless to copper joints, thanks for the tip mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Well here's my parrot, pretty basic but sould do the job :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Love it! The drain on these things is such a good move and it's good to see they're a standard in parrots
Urrazeb

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Well here she is in all her glory.

Just a couple more water fittings and a bit more electrical which i should get done tomorrow night and I'll be done :handgestures-thumbupleft: .i should be doing the maiden run on the weekend :happy-partydance: :dance: :D unless there's somthing i have forgotten :think:

I am currently soaking my copper mesh in degreaser and ill give it a hot water pressure clean tomorrow then an acid bath over night, that should do it i recon. Are there any other thoughts/ideas on this?

When I'm doing the cleaning run on my still do i just follow the guide in the newbies section? Is there anything different about cleaning bubblers? I assume i need to get the vapor to pass right through the still for 20 mins then reflux/ run the still for a further 20 mins. Does that sound right?

Now guys ive been thinking, DBV is right i recon. The glass duck doesn't quite suit but not sure i want to go with the pheasant either, i think I'd prefer to stay away from the fowl language (sorry couldn't help myself :laughing-rolling: ) any ideas for a name? I don't know why but i seem to like the name "Sue". But I'm sure you blokes will come up with some rippers for a laugh at least.

Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 pm

geez I hope those glass bits dont quack once they get hot :laughing-rolling: :O)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:11 pm

seriously mate, that is one of the nicest setups I've seen in a long time.

Take a bow mate, that rig is front page material :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Bootross » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 pm

very-nice.jpg
Bootross

equipment: Still spirits super reflux on loan from a mate.

Postby BIG D » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:17 pm

MacStill wrote:seriously mate, that is one of the nicest setups I've seen in a long time.

Take a bow mate, that rig is front page material :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: ^:)^
BIG D

equipment: 50l keg 2400w element , fsd neutralizer 5 plate packed section, Big arse 8"fsd Mc thumper and various other stuff

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:40 pm

Nah mate you only sell the good stuff.......... right :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:

Nah seriously the glass section seems real solid and that glass is as think as hell, as you know. I might put a brace up the back yet for extra support. Although the only movement really is in the keg flange.

So a big thanks to you mr and mrs mac for all your high quality goodies and your fantastic service. I just wish other businesses where a quick to respond to their costomers as you guys :handgestures-thumbupleft: also I'd like to thank everyone for their input and encouragement. A build like this without your help and this forum just wouldn't be possible. I have come to love this hobby more than i ever imagined and can't wait to start getting some good results with my product. I had such a great time building this still and became a little obsessed at times, i know my family can't wait for it to be finished :laughing-rolling:

Anyway a big thanks once again and there will be some videos to follow and probably more questions :D
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:51 pm

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 pm

Unreal stuff mate! I won't believe it's done until we see the maiden run video :music-deathmetal:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:08 am

Mate that is an absolute beauty ^:)^

Can't wait to see her in action :clap:
Urrazeb

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills