SJC's Glasser Build

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: SJC's Glasser Build

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:00 pm

With those 50mm caps ,the bath depth can easily be increased by ,getting a 3/4inch length of copper tube 60mm long,mark a line along its length ,make two marks on this line 25mm in from each end ,center punch those two marks on the line,pilot drill with small drill bit ,finnish with a 6.5mm drill bit ,clean and de-burr ,then press into down comer ,first hole center should be between 27-28mm measured from the plate and the other 10mm above that ,and orientate the holes away from the bubble cap.cheers hillzabilly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby SJC » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Cheers Fellas can see the light at the end of the tunnel..

Hillzabilly nice mod will be looking into that after I get a few runs under my belt....

I enjoyed building this one but all ready want to start on the next one.
SJC

equipment: Glasser

Postby MacStill » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:05 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Nice one buddy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
i like the blockhead.

:text-imwithstupid: :text-+1:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby drinka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:37 am

hillzabilly wrote:With those 50mm caps ,the bath depth can easily be increased by ,getting a 3/4inch length of copper tube 60mm long,mark a line along its length ,make two marks on this line 25mm in from each end ,center punch those two marks on the line,pilot drill with small drill bit ,finnish with a 6.5mm drill bit ,clean and de-burr ,then press into down comer ,first hole center should be between 27-28mm measured from the plate and the other 10mm above that ,and orientate the holes away from the bubble cap.cheers hillzabilly

Hey Hillz, just curious as to why put the 2 holes in the side of the copper pipe instead of just cutting the pipe at the length you want?
Also what does the deeper bath depth do?

Cheers.
drinka

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2 x 2400 watt FSD weldless elements,
2" s/s pot & 2" s/s CCVM

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:32 am

With the large cap so close to the downcomer ,I observed a lot of liquid being thrown up over and into the downcomer,it was not overflowing into it cleanly or getting up to the right depth ,these caps breath a fair bit more than the smaller ones makeing for some seriouse bubble action ,the extra lenghth stops a lot of that,the holes help make sure the liquide must travel from one side to the other giveing predictable consistent quality output,deeper bath depth in my opinion = quicker take off while holding qualitly and the ability to throw a bit more power in without upsetting stability,by the way thats the forth desighn I came up with after about a dozen runs ,running up to 4000wts.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:46 am

Awesome R&D, Billy :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Love the look of this rig too! Go the Blockheads :dance:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby drinka » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:13 pm

hillzabilly wrote:With the large cap so close to the downcomer ,I observed a lot of liquid being thrown up over and into the downcomer,it was not overflowing into it cleanly or getting up to the right depth ,these caps breath a fair bit more than the smaller ones makeing for some seriouse bubble action ,the extra lenghth stops a lot of that,the holes help make sure the liquide must travel from one side to the other giveing predictable consistent quality output,deeper bath depth in my opinion = quicker take off while holding qualitly and the ability to throw a bit more power in without upsetting stability,by the way thats the forth desighn I came up with after about a dozen runs ,running up to 4000wts.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Ahh ok thanks for the info hillz. I've just received a set of these bubble caps in the mail :D I might try this mod myself once I get everything setup eventually.
Cheers
drinka

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2 x 2400 watt FSD weldless elements,
2" s/s pot & 2" s/s CCVM

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:02 pm

I do not want to hi-jack SJC,s fine build thread ,1 my sections are 150-170mm a little bigger than primus glass,SJC's being smart trying the caps a few times without the tubes, if ya happy to raise the level a bit try them .But watch them like a hawk the first few runs,for me any mod like that require,s extra due care ,and you should be fine.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby SJC » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:47 pm

hillzabilly wrote:I do not want to hi-jack SJC,s fine build thread ,1 my sections are 150-170mm a little bigger than primus glass,SJC's being smart trying the caps a few times without the tubes, if ya happy to raise the level a bit try them .But watch them like a hawk the first few runs,for me any mod like that require,s extra due care ,and you should be fine.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

This is what I like about this forum every one is keen to help and share there knowledge / experience which makes it easier for us new guy's :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I measured the distance between Cap and down comer I have about 10mm.. In hindsight I should have moved both cap and down comer to either side of the plate to allow a little more room.

I'll run her as is to give my self a base line & I have enough 3/4 there to knock up some extensions if needed.
SJC

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Do not worry I just measured the gap on mine is 8mm ,the tubes should be a tight fit you donot want them popping out and possibly breaking those primus glasses,lookin forward to see how ya go,cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby 1 2many » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:21 am

Zak wrote:Love the look of this rig too! Go the Blockheads :dance:

:text-+1:

SJC...Dude this is a beautiful rig, Big fan of the blockhead style nice work. :clap: :clap: :clap:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby SJC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:50 pm

G Day All,

Its been a while with building the new shed and the wife wanting a new kitchen the glasser has been put on the back burner for a while....
Finally got the boiler back from a mate who has done a unreal job is exactly what I had pictured. Big thanks to Woodduck for bringing out the tripod legs as soon as I seen his new thats the look I was going for.

So she is a 80litre keg with 1 x 2400 & 1 x 3600 elements sporting a 1" drain & 3" Sight Glass / fill port.
Full height of the rig is 2.5m from floor to the block head. Was thinking of keeping it low but as I have heaps of height in the shed just went for it.

My main drink of choice is Rum so will spend most of its life configured in the 4 plate set up which will be a great height with the parrot sitting just above bench level.

So hope its not another year before I get power but having it sitting around 90% finished will give me the push I need.... :teasing-neener:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SJC

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:52 pm

:shock: looks primo mate well done.
Chicken leg boiler number 2 :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
I wish i had your shed :mrgreen:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby SJC » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:07 pm

Thanks Mate. Yeah the shed goes all right 12m / 8m bit of a mission putting it up ourselves but well worth the effort :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SJC

Postby 1 2many » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Great job SJC looks great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you fired her up yet. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby SJC » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:47 pm

1 2many wrote:Great job SJC looks great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you fired her up yet. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers 1 2 ... Na unfortunately I haven't got the power down to the shed yet ~x(
Off to work for a month so that's first on the list when I get back.
SJC

Postby SJC » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:37 pm

G Day All,

Well had a big few days getting everything together to fire this thing up...

So today fitted all cooling lines and tested for leaks etc.
Mixed up a 50/50 Vinegar / Water kicked it in the guts with both elements 2400 & 3600 watts and gave the system a 30 min steaming.
Adjusted RC & PC to full flow and was able to knock down everything thrown at it. Gave it another 20mins before slowly closing the RC to all most fully closed to allow the PC to come into play and at the same time run over all joins with a mirror and check for any vapour leaks.

Very happy with the way it went :happy-partydance:

Disconnected the PC pointed 90 deg elbow up wards & flushed column with water giving every thing a good rinse out.

Moved onto a TPW and was real happy with how easy it was to run followed the " How to run a bubbler " in the newbies corner and was really surprised considering I was pretty nervous waiting for those first few drops to come out of the parrot :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Couple of photos with my first bubbles :music-deathmetal:

Question for the guy's in the know after the TPW cleaning run I noticed some discolouration on the top 2 plates just wondering if this is something to worry about?

Should the still be stripped down and scrubbed again or good to go with the drum of Rum that is nearly ready :think:

Loaded in the wrong order will get the hang of this sooner or later

Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

SJC
SJC

Postby bluc » Wed May 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Very nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby SJC » Wed May 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks Bluc :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SJC

Postby 1 2many » Fri May 06, 2016 7:31 pm

The discoloration is the sulphides building up on the plates which is normal, that's why you need copper in the vapour path.

You can do a few runs no problem and if you think it's getting to manky or taste changes then clean the plates :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills