4'x4' Square Stainless pipe for column??

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

4'x4' Square Stainless pipe for column??

Postby jamjar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Please feel free to bag me and tell meto take my novice ideas away, I will not be offended. You can move or delete this if it is in the wrong spot

I was thinking today of using 4x4 Stainless steel post for a plated column, with 5 pigeon holes cut out of the front panel(leaving 30mm strips in-between each hole to weld to and act as an alcohol pond) and then sealed with a sheet of tempered glass.
The holes would allow you access to enable welding of the 5 perforation plates thus giving you a totally waterproof seal for each plate and to make adjustments to plates in pipe.
You could leave un-cut pipe at the top and bottom for the product condenser and the bottom plate catchment. You would only need 9 x 4x4 steel sheets to make it completely.
5 x perforated plates , 2 x top and bottom with holes cut out for connectors, and the last two for the plate to make dephleg , just need to drill out 2 holes at the top of the pipe to run the hose lines in etc.

Then using high temp silicone oven adhesive to attach the glass panel to seal up the front, you could even pretty it up by then putting a metal face plate with holes cut out to match the viewing holes.

I thought it might be an easier way to make one, ( not for me- no welding skills) but maybe not that much to get a place to make one up for me.

What do the stainless guys think, how hard would it be to weld in the plates?

Please excuse my poor attempt at drawing up my idea.

plated stainless steel post.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Re: 4'x4' Square Stainless pipe for column??

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Any other points aside, you will need some serious heat to run this as it's the same volume as having a 4.5" (pipe) column.

I assume there shouldnt be any difference having it square instead of round? Pipe would just have been traditionally easier i guess.

You could always get it built and see how it goes, if it doesn't work flog it off on ebay :lol:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: 4'x4' Square Stainless pipe for column??

Postby bang300 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:49 am

Square will not only work, it has some advantages.

Very simple to attach to flat top boiler. Cut/slit the four corners up 2-3 cm and bend out 90 degrees. Drill a hole in each ear and bolt to boiler top with a piece of silicon sheet for a gasket. Very easy with a square tube, and very hard with a round tube.
Square Tube.jpg

Make the hole or holes in the boiler smaller and cut a gasket that is in between the two. Bolt it on...

It's easier to make mitered bends also. It's a little more camouflaged if your in a place where it's illegal. Putting stuff inside may be harder or easier.

If I had some free square tube, I'd be for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bang300

equipment: Condenser Controlled VM

Return to Plated Column Stills