Yes another glass bubbler

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Yes another glass bubbler

Postby Shiftynev » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Hi Gents,

As I’m not getting any younger, waiting around for a 2” Boka and 2” Pot Still to finish a respective run is starting to get to me. So I’ve decided to build a 5 plate, 4” bubble cap glasser.

After doing the reading (some amazing builds) I was inspired (envious, jealous???) by the Glassduck as well as Kickarum’s and Brendan’s builds just to name a few. Thanks to all who contribute their expertise and in particular to Mac for all the tips on just about every aspect of building a still and distilling in general. There is so much information on this site, all you need to do is read it. In hindsight, I should have read more thoroughly before I went down the 2” route. Anyway, picked up some copper yesterday and made a start today. Cut the RC and Packed section, flange rings and flared out one end of the RC. Will probably need a little more but will pick that up later. Picked up all the copper as in pic from a recycler for $45 which I though was more that reasonable.

From the still up, I’m going with:
- 5 plates – 2mm copper plate or 4/6mm stainless, yet to decide, but leaning to SS just to be different. FSD glass tubes when they come in. If I go ss, I’ll get them cut out so that I can drop in some FSD bubble plates as I’m not looking to cut 2mm copper disks with tin snips. I’d like to make my own bubble caps (1 inch). I’ll try and if they look shit. I’ll order those as well.
- Packed section – 500mm.
- RC – 120mm, 4 or 5 x 25mm.
- 4 to 2 or 3in SS reducer connecting to;
- 2 SS FSD 90 degree bends (2 or 3 inch, yet to decide)
- PC – 50mm x 600mm, 5 x 12mm.
- 2 inch to 3/4inch reducer to parrot.

At the moment I’m using the 2 inch mount on the keg, should I go to 4” ferrule or get a 4 to 2 inch reducer.

I’ve got the day off tomorrow so I’ll try to finish off the RC, packed section and hopefully the PC.

Any advice/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers and once again thanks to all who contribute this great forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by 1 2many on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Re: Yes another glass bulbbler

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Ive built a 4 to 2 inch reducer with easy flages on both sides and i have a 4 inch easy flange on the bottom plate so i can upgrade my boiler later and possibly build a thumper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Re: Yes another glass bubbler

Postby Shiftynev » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:27 pm

Well finally got around to starting the build. So far (yesterday and today) I've managed to finish of the packed section, the PC, RC and the top of the column. I've attached a couple of pictures of progress to date. Used easy flanges and all when smoothly except for some trouble with the RC, where I had difficulty getting one of the plates in after soldering on the flange (should have done this before (as noted in Mac's instructions.
IMG_20150203_131357 (768x1024) (600x800).jpg

Have moved away form the 25" bubble caps and will now be going with decided to go with 50mm over a 38 x 35mm riser, 19mm downcomer and a 32mm downcomer cap. Do you think I can get away with a 32mm cap or should I go out and get some 25mm pipe. I just want to use what I already have. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I'll start on the bubble caps, risers and down comers tomorrow and if I get a chance I'll cut the plates. I managed to get some 63mm pipe so I'll cut that into sections (180mm) and then open and flatten out. I'll be making the plates about 170mm in diameter.

I have an idea for the caps and risers where I hope to use an easy flange on one end of the riser cap the other and then pass this through the plate and using a 3 or 4mm bolt and nut secure it to the bubble cap. might run into some problems with sealing the riser to the plate but I'm thing that a silicone ring made from a baking sheet should fix that. I'll but one together tomorrow and post a picture.

Cheers and thanks to all who have contributed their knowledge to the forumn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shiftynev

equipment: 5 plate, 4" glass bubbler, 600mm packed section, 2"Pot, 2" Boka, 50ltr Keg boiler 2x2400w elements with voltage controller

Postby 1 2many » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:45 pm

Progressing nicely shifty, did you decide on if your going with the 2"still mount or 4"?

I would go the 4" for rigidity and upgrading but a 2"will suffice. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Shiftynev » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks 12, I'll be going with a 4 " mount. Have a plumber mate who said that he may be able to access some 4" ss ferrules which are excess to requirements on a job he's currently on. If I get them I'll use them for a mount as well as a fill port. Then a matter of getting some triclamps from Mac when the next batch come in. Cheers
Shiftynev

Postby woodduck » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Nice work shifty :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looks like it's coming together nicely.

I have noticed a few blokes are now going for the five plates, i hope it's not just because i did cause i only did it to try it out. There's nothing wrong with 5 but i recon i will be changing mine to 4 and have the 5th and probably a 6th as an add on when doing neutrals. I've found that it's harder to learn/compare with others when your still is set up different. abv, flavor those types of things would be changed with different plate combos. Most people run with 4 plates and it is well proven that it's just right for the brown spirits. And 5/6 plates for the neutrals.

Just my thoughts and keep up the good work.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Shiftynev » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks Woody, really appreciate your comments.
Finished the bubble caps, risers and cut the downcomers and caps. Just need to cut the slots tomorrow. Decided to go with a 32mm downcomer caps. Here are some pictures of the progress.

IMG_20150213_095310 (600x800).jpg

IMG_20150223_152159 (800x600).jpg

I think the pictures show the method behind what I've done. There's nothing too difficult.

Will cut the plates tomorrow and if I get a chance start the parrot.

Can't wait to finish and give it a good polish.

Cheers

PS. Don't now why the picture of the rider and cap are where they are.
Shiftynev

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Completed all that I can do and will now need to wait for glass sight tubes to arrive at FSD. My plumber mate got his hand on 5 x 4 inch clamps and 4 ferrules. I will use two ferrules for mounting and fill port. Tried soldering the other two to the top and bottom section of the column but gave up after a while and went back an easy flanged them. I just couldn't get them to stick properly. Managed to get them off and if any one is interested in them pm me and I'll flick them off to you.

Just need to find someone to weld the mount, fill port and drain. Can anyone recommend/suggest a welder in Melbourne's northern suburbs? Also managed to find buy a 1/2 inch ball valve for the parrot (PTFE seal) which I will attach in the next day or so.

I'd also like to ask for some advise with respect to:

(i) drain holes on the plates and the downcomer cap. Would 1.5mm holes be ok on each plate and cap?

(ii) At the moment I have about a 10mm gab between the downcomer cap and the top of the bubblecap. The downcomer cap slight overlaps the bubblecap, do you think this will be a problem?

Here's some pictures of the finished still.
IMG_20150306_133045.jpg

IMG_20150306_133142.jpg

IMG_20150306_134121.jpg
Shiftynev

Postby Linno » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:38 pm

gday mate

top looking build there. Good to see people putting there skills to the test it will be a sweet rig sweet once finished and cleaned up.

there is a thread lost in here somewhere with discussion about drain holes and suitable size to not interrupt the run so that when finished it will naturally drain down. maybe 12-15 months old?

you have plenty of thread there to separate the plates more unless you have it already spaced to suit the height of glass with the seals between each plate??

I have the same single cap and downcomer set up in my bubbler mate and I don't have drain holes at all, my downcomers are also similarly close to the cap but not quite as close, you have set the plates with the downcomers opposed im no expert but I cant see any issue with at all mate. great looking still and the FSD Glass will finish it perfect. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Linno
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby benpandaae86 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:40 pm

The holes in question where .8 from memory

Awesome build by the way good job :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ps i love the temp clamp on the parrot
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Shiftynev » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Thanks Linno and Ben, I'll give it a good polish soon and may also apply some sealer. Ben, your memory was spot on, located the thread re drain hole size and you were right, it was .8mm (Djfrestyla). Couldn't locate my other 2" clamps (somewhere in my office) and improvised, they do hold. Before my mate dropped off the 4" inch clamps I was using then to hold the packed section to the reducer.

Need to go to bunnings tomorrow for .8mm drill bits.

Cheers
Shiftynev

Postby Shiftynev » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:29 pm

The 2 ferrules are going to a good home.
Shiftynev

Return to Plated Column Stills