Stainless Glasser

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Stainless Glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:25 pm

I've had 50L of wbab sitting in the boiler for a week now , racked off the fermenter, it has been up to boil and then shut down and left for a week.
Is it still of to run this? Or should i ditch it?
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby bluc » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Taste it see if its vinegar or worse :puke-huge: if not run it :music-deathmetal:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby aussiebrewer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:23 pm

It will be fine. sterile from the boil so no infection.
aussiebrewer

equipment: pot still on a 50l keg

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:03 am

Tasted like vinegar so I ditched it. :puke-huge:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby aussiebrewer » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:08 am

interesting, i would have thought the boiling temps would have stopped any enzyme (or whatever does it) that changes it to vinegar.

So did you braze any of the PC or bends WJ, or was it all welded? sory for all questions, interested in brazing SS so asking questions :handgestures-thumbupleft:
aussiebrewer

equipment: pot still on a 50l keg

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:25 am

Doubleuj wrote:
aussiebrewer wrote:Hey wj, did you solder and braze the ss or weld?

I tried everything mate, I had this demented idea that I could do copper to stainless, despite
Macs, and others, advise that it is hard, (refer the start of this build thread).

Finally conceded that this is out of my pay grade and got some things welded(tigged) up and others new from FSD.
To be honest, I have spent more on this "adventure" than a new neutraliser from FSD, I have lost 12 months by trying to build this, that means 12 months of drinking shitty t500 essence shit. I love my girl now but would have saved myself the headache and bought if I had my time again.

All welded mate, talking to the boily he said brazing can be difficult if you don't have the flame right on the oxy.
If you do try it go the highest level of silver content possible in your rods and use oxy, not mapp.
Some can do it with less silver and less heat but a rookie like me failed miserably.
The 2" bends as well as the 4"-2"reducer and the RC are all from FSD
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumby » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 am

Gday DJ,
Rig is looking sweet, I have had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh. In regards to the early comment on the "small shed", its a 12 car garage, enough room to fit 3 piling rigs.

PS it has been a long time since I have posted a thread, nice to be back in the game.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Cheers mate and welcome back, maybe now you'll read up on cuts and buy one of those shiny FSD bubblers we were talking about :teasing-tease:
And as for the shed, she's not big enough, yet...
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Got my packed section from FSD yesterday :happy-partydance:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:33 pm

You know the saying.. No pic's, it didn't happen :teasing-tease: :))
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Need some advice guys ~x(
The other day I drilled weep holes, after researching here I found that 1.5mm holes were the norm so I went and drilled 1x 1.5mm hole in each downcomer and 1x 1.5mm hole in each plate opposite the DC.
I did a vinegar run and it ran same as usual
I did a sac run and again same as usual, BUT, I didn't run the sac run to full potential. Ie I only collected 5L not the 7 or so I put in (from memory, most of my sac run low wines is heads/ fores.)

Today I ran 2 spirit runs which at first ran like clockwork, plates loaded perfectly, fores dripped off, heads then hearts at a perfect toothpick steam while holding 92%.
Naturally, after hours of changing jars I didn't notice that at some stage (around jar 14), the bottom two plates weren't bubbling....

Seems that at near end of hearts/ start of tails, there wasn't enough reflux to overcome the draining effect of the weephole on the bottom 2 DC's.

BUT, have I stuffed up and need to solder up my weep holes, or, have I made a godsend "tell tail" of the onset of tails?
I'm thinking, we always say, at the onset of tails, put her back to full reflux to steal a bit extra hearts. I had to increase reflux in order to get my plates bubbling again... so, by doing this, might I be increasing my hearts yeald?
Sorry for the ramble, I think I've covered all the info, except how much I've had to drink... :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
What cha reakon?
Cheers
WJ
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm

I did the same thing and noticed it as well.
It seems to be more prononced when the wash is a bit low in %.
I have yet to resolder the holes and drill a .9 or 1mm hole.
:-B
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:36 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:I did the same thing and noticed it as well.
It seems to be more prononced when the wash is a bit low in %.
I have yet to resolder the holes and drill a .9 or 1mm hole.
:-B

Now that you mention it, both washes didn't finish fully..
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby EziTasting » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:57 pm

We have had this as well, not both bottom plates but the second on its own... speaking to a friend (and fellow distiller) he said to put more power into the still and that seemed to fix it.

But I can not remember this being a consistent issue! so its happened often enough for me to remember it, but not often enough to have investigated the occurrence...

so, thinking on it, closing the holes or reducing their size would have a similar effect as putting in more power ... one puts more steam into the system while the other reduces the flow off ... or am i way off?
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:55 am

EziTasting wrote:We have had this as well, not both bottom plates but the second on its own... speaking to a friend (and fellow distiller) he said to put more power into the still and that seemed to fix it.

But I can not remember this being a consistent issue! so its happened often enough for me to remember it, but not often enough to have investigated the occurrence...

so, thinking on it, closing the holes or reducing their size would have a similar effect as putting in more power ... one puts more steam into the system while the other reduces the flow off ... or am i way off?

ive only done two runs since adding the weep holes but it happened on both, at the same point.
Throwing more power at it would be uncontrolled as i was running at full 2400w on my controller, so the only way to add more power would be to turn on the 3600w element. :think:
might look into upgrading the controller to handle 15amp so i can control the 3600w :think:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:39 am

I've got weep holes, one plate even has 2 (might be time i got some glasses :)) ) and I don't have that problem. I tend to agree on the more power idea or more reflux anyway. Just watching your video again, in my opinion you need more refluxing, yours is a broken stream out of your down comer where as with mine i push for a solid stream bigger than my take off. So if you can't do more power I would try more water through your rc. Give it a try and see what happens. But if like you say it only happens when tails get there then your on a winner and I wouldn't touch it.

Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 am

Cheers woodduck, I'm inclined to leave well alone for now and see if it's a good thing or bad.
Am i remembering correct that you now run your 3600w through your controller?
As for more reflux, I probably push her too hard, trying to maintain the 2-2.5L per hr output speed.
All a learning curve and all good times however :happy-partydance:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Yep I run my controller on my 3600w. I've found lately that 3600w seems to be about right so I haven't needed to play with it much. I might add that I don't actually touch my rc, I leave it flat out and push past it with power till i get a good takeoff speed and %.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills