Rum Glass

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Rum Glass

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:29 pm

WTDist wrote:hey rummy. just wondering. after some time testing out the thumper im wondering what speed you can pull and the power required? thinking in my head with my build and i need all the info/help i can get. Need to maximise speed with a 4" with max 2 * 2.4kw elements

Sorry wt I have never timed the output so I couldn't say. The last run I managed to have a puke in the first glass when I was playing with power settings.
I know i can run about 10amps with both elements before my rc is over whelmed.
In hindsite I should have made it 1/2 internals with as many as I can fit in the 4 inch.
Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:48 pm

as many 1/2" internals for the RC do you mean, to make it more efficient? Good point, im planning to cram as much as i can in to make it more efficient just wasnt set on size, was leaning towards 3/4" but maybe a shit tone of 1/2" will be the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby scythe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:06 am

Good luck with that.
The more tubes you try to cram in the more chane to holes in solder, unless you are tigging them in.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:36 pm

So here is how i made 6inch from 2inch.
Split the length of 2inch accurately, do more than you need and trim it too length.
Flatten it out and anneal.
Find something around the house that 6inch diameter and use that as a forming tool.
Nicely shape it so the ends meet, then solder it in place.
Now you can muck around getting it rounds to the point your happy with.
Make up some cones with the dimensions your 6inch pipe is, then slip on a couple of 4inch ends. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby bluc » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:28 pm

Hard solder the 2 inch together I guess :handgestures-thumbupleft: thanks what sort of join do you do do you make a folded seam or just but join?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Just a butt join.
rumdidlydum

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:11 pm

Hey gotta ask what's the reasoning to have a bigger thumper than rest of colum. Originally thumper were bigger to catch a puke because they didn't return to boiler. In your case why did you make it bigger, to hold a buffer of higher proof liker? or for some puke protection or does the bigger bath provide some other function? Are you using it for a liquid infusion chamber? Adding honey or other botanicals to it for flavour infusion. Sorry for all the question just my mind keeps bringing back to a pot with thumper rather than going the bubbler route...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:21 pm

bluc wrote:Hey gotta ask what's the reasoning to have a bigger thumper than rest of colum. to hold a relative amount of spirit in regards to my boiler sizeOriginally thumper were bigger to catch a puke because they didn't return to boiler. I wanted to run higher element input but still keep it from puking In your case why did you make it bigger, to hold a buffer of higher proof liker?both or for some puke protection or does the bigger bath provide some other function? Are you using it for a liquid infusion chamber?yes that also. Just playing with different charges to see what the end product is like Adding honey or other botanicals to it for flavour infusion. Sorry for all the question just my mind keeps bringing back to a pot with thumper rather than going the bubbler route...
two words single runs :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby bluc » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Thanks rum all of the above :handgestures-thumbupleft: :teasing-tease:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby WTDist » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:01 am

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6824

give this topic a whirl :handgestures-thumbupleft:

doubling a column size will increase volume 4X, adding 2" to 4" adds something like 225% more volume so this is why thumpers are wider, to hold more distilate. By having alc in clumn the boiler will have a higher boiling point and hotter vapour going up column etc.

thumpers allow far faster run times and more tails compression, although im not sure how they go with heads compression on faster runs. My assumptions are run heads as you would normally then once out of heads crank it up and start changing jars faster than you can drop em :))
Then when tails are visably coming up column hit full reflux again till they are down and once down crank it up again. I might be wrong, only researched it but ill know first hand hopefully by the end of the year :pray:
WTDist

Postby scythe » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:51 am

Thats pretty much it WTD.
You size you thumper bases on the amount of ethanol you can fit in your boiler.
Ie:
50L boiler that runs with a 45L charge of 10% so a max possible of 4.5L total ethanol, make your thumper to hold 4L.
Once you drain fores and heads put it into full reflux till the thumper is full and then open it up again and you can probably empty the thumper in 1 hour or faster.
So 1hr heat up, 30min reflux drain undesirables and reflux a bit more, then pump it out, bam 2hr run.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:02 pm

So after several runs of rum glass which I'm very happy with there's only one component that I'm a re designing.
Not that there's anything wrong with the rc, running slightly over 2400w.
I admit I'm power hungry. So the plans are a pc that can handle more power but not longer in length.
I was talking to my old man about the rc and what I wanted to achive, what he advised me is that the rc is very similar to steam train boilers which I had never thought about untill now.
So the plan is a rc with 25 1/2inch tubes inside a 4inch barrel at 120mm long.
The reason for the half inch tubes is so that the vapour has more contact area to condense, currently the 3/4 tubes I can over power easily and the vapour just passes through without condensing.
The backing plate material is electrical bus bar.
With three lengths joined side by side makes a seroius peice of copper plate. Silver soldering them together required a fair amount of heat but nothing that I couldn't handel with oxy/acetylene.
The most difficult part would be sealing up the 25 tubes and not having any leaks. So I researched how the steam boilers are made and come up with a few ideas.
The end plates need to have a larger surface area so that the tubes can bond with silver solder. Unlike only having a 1.8mm thick end plates.
I have drilled all the holes to 1/2 so I can slide the tubes in easily, which is the same way the stam boilers are built.
Now I needed to expand the tubes against the backing plate. I wan't going to buy a tube expander just for this job. So came up with using m10 dyna bolts. They work well for about two tubes then deform and are toast. With a nut tacked on seems to hold them in place for a bit longer but for the price of them I'll just buy some more to do the once off job.

So anyway here are some pics of the supposed bullet proof rc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rumdidlydum on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo
rumdidlydum

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:11 pm

:clap: hats off again mate, she's going to be able to knock down and steam train with that much surface area!!
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby WTDist » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Come on man... I bet you could squeeze 4 more tubes in there :laughing-rolling:

Lol JK

Looks awesome man, how thick are the ends?
and how many meters of 1/2" did you use to get the 120mm with overhang i assume?

If i hadnt already gathered enough 3/4" for a 150mm RC(little over 2m i think) i would seriously consider this, and you know i still may. But thats if i can get some thick end plates like yours, maybe not as thick but enough so a chance of a leak is minimised.Ill prob stick to the 3/4" but dang they look awesome

I want one

Always wondered, are you a boiler maker or something?
WTDist

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:20 pm

Looks awesome, the heavy duty end plates look baddass :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:32 pm

Looking awsomes mate.
Will have all the condensing power you will ever need. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Its 6mm thick, not sure how much I used but I used all that I have left :wtf: I cut them at 130mm long.
I'm a grease monkey by trade :D
The fun part ahead will be soldering it all toghether and making sure it seals :?
But yes I hope it will handle everything I throw at it including rhe kithchen sink :laughing-rolling:
rumdidlydum

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:53 pm

But yes I hope it will handle everything I throw at it including rhe kithchen sink 

No problems at all. You may want a fine needle valve for precise control . With that much surface area very little flow will be needed
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby 1 2many » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:36 am

Damn ..bringing out the big guns rummy nice work indeed. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby drinka » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:14 am

Awesome work there rummy! Any chance you could post a pic of how you use the dynabolt to expand the 1/2"?
drinka

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2 x 2400 watt FSD weldless elements,
2" s/s pot & 2" s/s CCVM

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills