Rum Glass

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Rum Glass

Postby 1 2many » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:53 pm

Top work rummy, :clap: that cone is really good. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Would you like to share you method :D
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Why not. I have a strong pointy bar mounted in the vise. Tap gently with a small ball pein hammer and get a bend ( all by eye) then finish off on the back of the vise. I worked the small end 13mm then the larger 50mm. Constantly going either end re shaping. I endded up annealing the work about 4 times. I finished off with deburring and facing with a cut off disc. Only do this if you have strong hands and old discs to destroy.... ie they are not good to cut with afterwards.
Well that was my method :dance:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby 1 2many » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Bloody good skills mate, that's the best hand formed cone I have seen.

It looks like it was rolled. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:30 pm

:oops: stop 12 your making me blush. :laughing-rolling:
You haven't even seen the join :D
thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby woodduck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:38 am

Nice work rum :clap: That cone looks awesome. So do the caps.

Looks like you worked out the cone theory ok, quite easy once you get the hang of it isn't it. i bet you got some real satisfaction out of hand crafting your own.

Keep up the good work mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Yeah it is real easy. Your right with satisfaction too :happy-partydance:
thanks for your input duck with working them out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby Mad » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 am

Nice man going strong got to pull my finger out and come collect my bits lol. Cant complain tho great weather this weekend went fishing instead lol.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:17 am

Mad wrote:Nice man going strong got to pull my finger out and come collect my bits lol. Cant complain tho great weather this weekend went fishing instead lol.

Haha yeah the plates are waiting :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 pm

2015-05-14 21.21.12.jpg
Here you go camikaze.
Obviously yet to fit a tap and vent :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby drinka » Fri May 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Lookin good mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
drinka

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2 x 2400 watt FSD weldless elements,
2" s/s pot & 2" s/s CCVM

Postby WTDist » Fri May 15, 2015 4:44 pm

drinka wrote:Lookin good mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun May 31, 2015 5:20 pm

Well i have had one of those days where everything turned to shit...
I straightened my plates mounted the up combers and down combers then proceed to solder them. As i heated them they distorted. No biggie il have to re flatten them. :crying-blue:
Next solder tubes into pc. Steady as i go turned out pretty good, now for the pressure test, okay only 2 holes, resoldered now for another test. 1 hole. Re heat and solder..... oh fu*# i blew a hole in a tube :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: 20mm down :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: only option was to cap it. now my 7 tube pc is now 6 :violence-smack:
I should be more carefull pre heating with a large frame. :oops:
I would post pics but i am too ashamed and pissed with my self.
Also a good pair of sunnys scratched from dropping onto the concrete.
1 finger burn.
1 burnt tie down strap. (Don't ask)
Another sore finger for closing a door on it.
I need a drink x_x
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun May 31, 2015 8:07 pm

Righto i have had time to think about today's efforts on the pc.
What is the minimal clearance for a 2inch tri clamp section to clear the pc water fittings. My thoughts are to cut the both ends, make new tube holders, and try to repair the tube with very precise patch.
Or do i flag it put it down to a failure and run it. Even though im not happy with it and i wont be starting from scratch.
Thoughts please ~x(
rumdidlydum

Postby Sam. » Sun May 31, 2015 8:11 pm

Days like that suck mate, sometimes it's better to quit early before you ruin too much.

A bloke that used to hand build a lot of stills always said it was sometimes easier to start again than try to chase leaks in a PC. I know that's not what you want to hear but it may be easier to pull it apart and start again rather than try and patch it and that doesn't work and then you will it all apart anyway :handgestures-thumbdown:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby WTDist » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 am

rumdidlydum wrote:1 finger burn.
I need a drink x_x

i thought i was the only one having bad luck Sunday night :laughing-rolling:
Burn on my stomach from copper and 2 cuts right next to each other on a finger from my hacksaw after a new blade broke half way through 2".
I would say i needed a drink but i had already had a few :laughing-rolling: :think: yes i think that was my problem. a few too many drinks and trying to work at 11:30 :laughing-rolling:

Anyway, keep up the good work mate. Ive been keeping an eye out on your progress :handgestures-thumbupleft: Dont be ashamed of the pics :D we all have bad days and im sure i will have many
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 pm

I managed to remove the damaged tube by carefully grinding with my new toy. I love my dremel.
I fitted the tube and proceeded to solder it. Then presure test.
Leaks. More soldering
Test leaks
more soldering
leaks more soldering
I think you get the picture.
Sam you can chime in and said i told you so 8-} thanks for your input.
So i cut the ends of and had a think about why it kept leaking around the tubes. :think:
I came up with a too loose fit and little surface area on the end caps to have an effective bond.
Also i ran out of silver solder and tryed some other stuff i acquired. It flowed a lot better and i had better control. :happy-partydance:
So i made a tool to flare the plates so that the tubes fit snug and haVe more surface area.
Any way here are some pics of todays eforts.
Have a good laugh.
By the way im a persistent bastard :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:43 pm

WTDist wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:1 finger burn.
I need a drink x_x

i thought i was the only one having bad luck Sunday night :laughing-rolling:
Burn on my stomach from copper and 2 cuts right next to each other on a finger from my hacksaw after a new blade broke half way through 2".
I would say i needed a drink but i had already had a few :laughing-rolling: :think: yes i think that was my problem. a few too many drinks and trying to work at 11:30 :laughing-rolling:

Anyway, keep up the good work mate. Ive been keeping an eye out on your progress :handgestures-thumbupleft: Dont be ashamed of the pics :D we all have bad days and im sure i will have many

Keep at it mate eventually there is light at the tunnel. But as i learned some times it pays to just down tools and have a good think or break :D
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:49 pm

No leaks :happy-partydance:
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm

I got my boiler back thisarvo big thanks to mad and your mate top job :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I yet have to mount 1inch sockets to the feet so i can raise it around the shed 8-}
rumdidlydum

Postby 1 2many » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Lookin good rummy, it will be rock solid :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You could shave a couple of inches off the legs so when you install the wheels the boiler sits a little lower. :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills