Rum Glass

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Rum Glass

Postby GroggyAl » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:06 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Sorry grogy. Re post if you like my fat fingers pressed the wrong button when I was going to quote you. :angry-banghead:

Wot have you done?.??.. I was only complimenting you on your build. You have inspired me but I'm looking for details of your in-line thumper (dimensions, bath depth and vapour trap details).

Cheers
Groggy
GroggyAl

equipment: Home built 2" Boka with after-cooler & parrot.
2x 2400w electric 50L keg (insulated).
Recirculated cooling water system

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:45 am

GroggyAl wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:Sorry grogy. Re post if you like my fat fingers pressed the wrong button when I was going to quote you. :angry-banghead:

Wot have you done?.??.. I was only complimenting you on your build. You have inspired me but I'm looking for details of your in-line thumper (dimensions, bath depth and vapour trap details).

Cheers
Groggy

Thanks grogy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I blame my sausage fingers :laughing-rolling:
I want to test the thumper to see how it performs 1st if it works.
Then ill post some specs. I don't want to put up dimensions for a failure :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby 1 2many » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:08 pm

Nice work rummy she looks awesome. :clap:

Nice complete home made pàckage right there well done. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:50 am

Sac alc test run and cleaning of the thumper today :happy-partydance:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:29 pm

After a couple of adjustments kids asleep wife out time to run this baby fully :teasing-neener: :music-deathmetal:
rumdidlydum

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:41 pm

Well murphy popped by to test my patince during heat up. The pc started leaking water :angry-banghead:
Just before i shut it down to call it a nite, i thought about my old liberg, i had all the parts to make it work just a little fidling around with water fittings.
And hey presto back in business :dance:
Looks a bit silly a liberg on a bubbler but hey its doing the job :teasing-tease:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rumdidlydum

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Looks like a beast even with the leiberg :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Now to digress tonights efforts.
I ran a 1/3 vanilla 3/1 mc rum recipe.
I pre charged the thumper with dunder, I can't give any heat up times due to old mate murphy stoping by.
After I was back on track and the column was bubbling away it took about 7min for the thumper to find its equilibrium. I have been running two elements, one full and the other 1/3 for full reflux, which i left it in for about 20min.
Next started to take off the fores drip by drip for about 10min then increased it to a drible for another 15min. Threw it back into reflux for another 10 min and started the stream for the collection jars. I collected about 1.2ltrs, the bottom glass started to fog so i put it into full reflux for roughly 15min, then colected an additional 800mls.
Due to using the liberg output temp was pretty high to get an accurate reading, but I would assume it was in the 90's.
Back into full reflux for about 20min (untill I could see the thumper draining back to the boiler, and then some)
Lastly collected about another 1ltr. Tails were being more noticeable creeping up the column so i put both elements on 100% and striped the rest out to 20 ish percent.

To summarise, the thumper worked well with precharging with dunder, you just need to keep an eye out because the dunder will puke if your throwing alot of heat at it.
I found it easier to control the elements rather than the rc, but this maybe because i have amp readouts of each.
I sampled a small portion watered down and with coke, it wasn't nice or crap but I intend on long term aging, so hopefully it will develop nicely.
So first impression of the thumper.
It works well providing you have the power to run it. You just need to stack the fractions long enough, then draw off them at a managable rate
For me this was the first run of a thumper, so I dont expect to have mastered it or tamed it. Yet anyway.
Enough babbling.
Cheers
Rum
rumdidlydum

Postby WTDist » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:14 pm

when you were collecting the fastest what was the power you were using (watts?) and output speed. interested to see how the thumper goes.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby GroggyAl » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:49 pm

OK Rummy, time to lift the patent on your thumper design now you have run it. What's in the guts of it and what is bath depth?
GroggyAl

Postby WTDist » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm

GroggyAl wrote:OK Rummy, time to lift the patent on your thumper design now you have run it. What's in the guts of it and what is bath depth?

:text-+1: :text-lol:
WTDist

Postby rumdidlydum » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:56 pm

Wt. The power I used was about 10amps. Not sure of the speeds to busy trying different settings and rates, it wasn't a toothpick size :teasing-tease:
Ill put up some sizes and specs when I pull it off in a couple of days. The plans I had changed along the way and are useless now 8-}

But here is another teaser :teasing-neener:
rumdidlydum

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:41 pm

I'll let everyone know his secrets when in there later this week :teasing-neener: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:42 am

Right for all those interested in thumpers, here is my take on the one I built.
Not saying that its perfect or flawless but it works.
Theirs a couple of things I would change if I were to build it again,
1. Make a larger D.C cup to aid with the equilibrium change. ( when it transfers from vapour bypassing up the drain and riser to load the above plates, to full level and transitioning the vapour coming through the riser only.
2. Use a larger diameter riser. (I had plenty of it and was willing to give it a go) In saying that a smaller diameter pipe increases the flow through it and provides bigger bubbles in theory.

so here you go fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

Postby SJC » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Looks Unreal Rummy very impressive :clap: Thanks for sharing the specs. Might have to have crack at one once I get some stock up :-D
SJC

equipment: Glasser

Postby GroggyAl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks for doing the R&D for us. Rummy, :dance: now let's see if I can understand whats happening. I can see the vapour taking the path of least resistance up the downcomer rather than going up the riser because of the liquid head in the thump chamber being greater than the depth of liquid in the downcomer's vapour lock. I assume it took a long time to flood the downcomer with liquid because of the velocity going up it? Did you have to ease off the power to get the downcomer to fill enough then turn power back up?

Would be interesting to see what pressure differential you had across the thumper when fully loaded up and how much your downcomer was bypassing once there wasn't enough reflux happening. Incidentally I've lifted the relief valve on my keg when my Boka has flooded (over powered) and now have a manometer to monitor pressure.

I was going to use a single 2" riser which comes straight off my keg and split that into 3 x 1" bubble caps. I'm planning an external downcomer so I can fit a vapour lock with a depth greater than my thumpers liquid level. Im trying to figure out what is the optimum depth of liquid in this first stage thumper but I still need to be convinced of the benefits of a deep liquid bath. I'm getting cynical in my old age. :think:

Are you going to maintain your current liquid depth and what's your plan going forward?

You said above you filled the thumper with Dunder or was that just for the sac run? Being the smelly crap it is, wouldn't that impart a 'tailsy' smell through the otherwise fine liquor? :puke-huge: If the bubbles don't go through high ABV liquid I can't see how a thumper can improve the overall product. Different story if you pre-charged it with quality low wines and some flavouring e.g. Touch of molasses or lemon peel.

Also how did you go getting the column plumb & any issues with the glass?

Keep up the fine work there Rummy. I'm learning lots from your build and run experience. Looking forward to the blockbuster video coming out.
GroggyAl

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:38 pm

GroggyAl wrote:Thanks for doing the R&D for us. Rummy, :dance: now let's see if I can understand whats happening. I can see the vapour taking the path of least resistance up the downcomer rather than going up the riser because of the liquid head in the thump chamber being greater than the depth of liquid in the downcomer's vapour lock. I assume it took a long time to flood the downcomer with liquid because of the velocity going up it? Did you have to ease off the power to get the downcomer to fill enough then turn power back up?
Yes the vapour rising through the dc was an issue when I was testing with water, but when I was testing I worked out that once the thumper was full, a drop in air ( which was me blowing into the boiler via a hose) that if I backed off, every time the dc would hold an amount of water then the riser would start passing the air. I tried it several times and it wasn't until I backed off that it fell into equilibrium. If I upped the air flow afterwards it kept delivering the air up the riser. The next part was to put it into an actual test because alc has a lower viscosity than water.
So in short it only took the time for all plates to load and then I waited for the level to rise in the thumper until I thought it was right then backed off for a couple of minutes then ramped the power back up. Hey presto the thumper was bubbling like crazy.

Would be interesting to see what pressure differential you had across the thumper when fully loaded up and how much your downcomer was bypassing once there wasn't enough reflux happening. Incidentally I've lifted the relief valve on my keg when my Boka has flooded (over powered) and now have a manometer to monitor pressure.I know the pressure is a sensitive word when dealing with these rigs so any newbie's reading this make sure you know 100% what we are talking about before attempting or asking about it!
Yes I did find a small pressure was exerted to the thumper when I was testing to achieve the bypass and equilibrium. I don't think I'll be fitting a manometer any time soon because I think at this stage it's not that important.
When the level dropped in the thumper below the dc ( when I was taking alc off) it still bubbled away and was working, so that I'm sure the dc was still operating the way I wanted it to.

I was going to use a single 2" riser which comes straight off my keg and split that into 3 x 1" bubble caps. I'm planning an external downcomer so I can fit a vapour lock with a depth greater than my thumpers liquid level. Im trying to figure out what is the optimum depth of liquid in this first stage thumper but I still need to be convinced of the benefits of a deep liquid bath. I'm getting cynical in my old age. :think: Let us know your findings :handgestures-thumbupleft: I think with a deeper bath depth it takes a higher force to overcome the gravity exerted on it. This is all a learning curve and I don't expect to master it soon, but I will chip away at it and see where it leads. So if you have a plan and go for it.

Are you going to maintain your current liquid depth and what's your plan going forward?Not sure, I will run it several more times to get a full understanding, if I'm happy with it time will tell but knowing me I'll modify bits to find improvements.

You said above you filled the thumper with Dunder or was that just for the sac run? Being the smelly crap it is, wouldn't that impart a 'tailsy' smell through the otherwise fine liquor? :puke-huge: If the bubbles don't go through high ABV liquid I can't see how a thumper can improve the overall product. Different story if you pre-charged it with quality low wines and some flavouring e.g. Touch of molasses or lemon peel. :laughing-rolling: I have been thinking about it for a long time and thought eh why not on the first run. I have read a few things on dunder and I'm trying to achieve a heavier flavour profile, that's what I'll stick to any way, for now.

Also how did you go getting the column plumb & any issues with the glass? I screwed the adjustable wheels :laughing-rolling: its better but not perfect, at least its not so noticible.

Keep up the fine work there Rummy. I'm learning lots from your build and run experience. Looking forward to the blockbuster video coming out.
Don't know about fine, its all fumbling around in the dark stubbing my toes on stuff. Glad it can be of use to a few of the members who are looking into it. :D

Sorry its taken all day to put this up, this is the only chance I have had to get on the P.C.
Cheers Rum :greetings-waveyellow:
rumdidlydum

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:45 am

rumdidlydum wrote:Weels on ready to race.
Also i mounted my controller to the boiler for ease of use.
Im also in the stages of having a colection platform mounted.
And to keep me brewing I'll mount my pot on till i get rum glass going.
:dance:
Ps yet to sort out elements. Looking forward to wa trip to see the 5star store :happy-partydance:

Just catching up on this build looks great
Whats the 2 valves top and bottom of boiler for
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:57 am

hey rummy. just wondering. after some time testing out the thumper im wondering what speed you can pull and the power required? thinking in my head with my build and i need all the info/help i can get. Need to maximise speed with a 4" with max 2 * 2.4kw elements
WTDist

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:25 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:
rumdidlydum wrote:Weels on ready to race.
Also i mounted my controller to the boiler for ease of use.
Im also in the stages of having a colection platform mounted.
And to keep me brewing I'll mount my pot on till i get rum glass going.
:dance:
Ps yet to sort out elements. Looking forward to wa trip to see the 5star store :happy-partydance:

Just catching up on this build looks great
Whats the 2 valves top and bottom of boiler for

I was going to use the for mash, recirculating water.
They also come in handy for cleaning.
rumdidlydum

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills