Plated Column - modular style

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Plated Column - modular style

Postby jamjar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:44 pm

I am going down the plated column path and if you look at 5Star's "Jumping on the Bandwagon" post you will see he has done a lot of the hard work for me :D

I have cut the 4" pipe into sections and have used heavy duty T-Bolt clamps to pull it as true and round as I can get. I plan on soldering each plate into the sections that way it should have watertight seal around it not matter if the pipe is still a little out. Then wrap some teflon tape around the join and clamp each section together with the stainless steel T-Bolt Clamps. In the practice run I bolt all four sections together and lying it between 2 saw tables it could just about hold me weight pressing in the middle of it, so there is not way it will fall over, and hopefully the tape and the solid surface of the clamp and the pressure of it will make a leak proof seal.

I just need a bit of advice before I solder up the plate, I have drilled all the perf holes and hole for the down dropper, Planning on using 19mm down pipes into a 25mm cups ( is that size alright?) I just want to check do I leave about 20mm above the plate for the dropper and about 30-40mm for the cups ???
Also do I drill a couple od small holes in the side of the cup at the bottom to allow it to drain out at the end of the run??

Jamjar
jamjar

equipment: 2" Boka

Re: Plated Column - modular style

Postby SBB » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:42 pm

jamjar wrote: Planning on using 19mm down pipes into a 25mm cups ( is that size alright?)

Thats what I used on mine
From memory the downcomer sticks up 10mm above the plate and I think I made my cups 20mm in height.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:20 pm

How's this rig going?

Any updates?

Pics?

Something?

Anything at all?

:lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby jamjar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:33 pm

It is all assembled, just need to do a vinegar run to chech for leaks etc. My MAPP gun is still a day away so each solder took close to 20 mins and that was with soft solder, I will braze what is need when it gets here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jamjar

Postby devotus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:23 pm

that looks pretty awesome mate.
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby MacStill » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 pm

I hope that's not flour paste :laughing-rolling:

Rad would be so proud :lol:

Seriously! good work for a first build, keep us up to date "please" :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jamjar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:03 pm

No - no flour used yet :) I think it had been resting on some paper that got wet and pealed off.
jamjar

Postby R-sole » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:11 am

Did you take construction pics of the plates going together?
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Bursal » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:32 am

Looking good.

If you want to borrow my mapp torch until yours comes I will be in town on Friday. Just send me a PM. I won't need it until the new year.

Cheers
Di
Bursal

equipment: Building new pot and VM still heads on 50lt keg, system interchangable using triclamps and ferrules. Column 2" copper. More details as it is built.

Postby jamjar » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:04 pm

Well it bubbles........all four plates on the vinegar run, but got a few leaks, but that is from my poor soft soldering on the sight glass ferrules. one actually pulled out when tightening up the clamp.

Will see how it goes when I pull the sections apart hard soldered, hopefully the gun will arrive soon got told the 20th, if not I might have to take up Di's offer :)

Plus I need it for the 3"VM still I have got all the parts and pipe for, made up the refluxing centering rings etc and have 50 giant pot scrubbers that are on sale at woolies :)

I want to see if the modular reflux condenser from the bubbler will knock down enough vapour on the 3", if not I will add Mc's 2" boka head to the top and see if I can run it as a LM/VM combo.
jamjar

Postby jamjar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Ok First run done, worked ok, just think my wash is crappy It has been sitting for a few weeks now. Does not taste like rum that I know. Will strip the rest and use the backset for the next batch.

http://youtu.be/P4VIFqhVp7w

The bottom plate did not dry up even when it got down to 20%.

It is a piss poor soldering job, now on the hunt for an oxy kit to buy, to get enough heat into the big pipe.
jamjar

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:13 pm

Congrats are in order.

I'll raise my glass now.

:clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:15 pm

jamjar wrote:Does not taste like rum that I know.

I wouldnt be too worried about your rum not tasting like rum, The first lot I made tasted like sh*t straight off the still........aired then aged for 2 months and now I cant get enough of the stuff. My biggest problem now is that I left what I have left with Stubbie Drainer to baby sit while Im on holiday and he seems to have taken a liking to it.........I just hope theres some left when I get home :( :(
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:54 am

Nope haven't touched it :liar: , well only to test it :liar: eeeerrrrr it's probably the angels share,
Honest, truly :whistle:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Return to Plated Column Stills