First Bubbler Attempt

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

First Bubbler Attempt

Postby brewman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:15 pm

G'day Gents,

Been working on a glass bubber for a couple of weeks so I've got a bit of progress to share. Big thanks to all the other builders for the inspiration.

It's all soft soldered as I tried the silver soldering and it turned out woeful. Gave up on it pretty quick as I'm only a newb and the soft soldering was much easier. I slacked off on the bubble caps and downcomers and just bought ready made ones to save some effort. They look ok but not as nice as the home made versions.

Here's how it's looking so far.

1.jpg

I've built the condensers as well and just waiting on some 4" reducers to put it all together. Haven't started on the electric conversion for my boiler yet but that shouldn't be too far off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brewman

equipment: 2" pot and 4" bubbler

Re: First Bubbler Attempt

Postby wiifm » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Brewman the sleeper! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Lovely work mate.

How quickly can you pull it down with the notches in your plates?
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby Thelegion » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:24 am

Dam these are breeding like rabbits,

great idea with the retaining nutz and washers :text-+1:

cheers,TL...
Thelegion

equipment: FOR YOUR 4" BUBBLING PLEASURE

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:58 am

It took me about half an hour to assemble and tension it up and shouldn't be more than 5 minutes to strip it down.

Just looking at it now I really should have placed two nuts on each rod below the plates so that position could be locked. Tensioning up to the same position each time would then be very quick. Might do that when it next comes apart.
brewman

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:06 am

It is a thing of beauty much to be admired.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby jacobraven » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:33 am

Looks great well done, I goto get my finger out been going ~2 months XD
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:20 pm

:text-+1:
Did you get the plates water cut? Looks prime :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Cheers Gents.

The reducers turned up today so I put it all together so far. Still need to work on the boiler and finish off an output for the PC. Otherwise it looks pretty much like all the rest of them...

2.jpg

I cut all the plates with an angle grinder and then rounded them off with a file. It was a bastard of a job. My drill press died just before I started the build so I cut most of the plate holes with a battery drill and step bit. The battery drill let it's magic smoke out about half way through so I had to revert to the old corded drill. Even it started to smell a bit funky by the time all the 3/4" holes were drilled.

The two condensers hold water ok but I'm not at all confident in the sealing I can achieve with the easy flanges. They look pretty dodgy so time will tell. I might fill the whole column up with water to see how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brewman

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:31 pm

Very tidy work Brewman, I like the rod slots that will male it a lot easier to assemble and disassemble .

Top job. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Thanks 1 2many, I can't take credit for the slotted rod idea.

Sorry I can't say who it was but I've read so many build threads over the last couple of weeks and noticed someone say they'd slot them if they build again so I gave it a go. Looks to be successful.

Finished off the PC collector this arvo and I'd already built a parrot for the pot still so all the copper work is done.
brewman

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Nice build mate, looks like a ripper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:55 pm

Thanks woodduck, your featured build is where it all started for me about a month ago. Then someone posted a link to the lantern glass at BCF and I was sold.

Now I'm wondering whether I should try welding the ferrules to the keg or just solder them on. I've got a small TIG but not much experience with it and have only done 3mm angle in stainless steel. That turned out ok but didn't have to be watertight or sanitary. The silver soldering looks easier if I can find an oxy set.
brewman

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks mate.

If you've got a tig you'd be mad not to use it. Get some scrap watch some youtube and give it a crack. If you get a pinhole just fill it up, easy. It would be way stronger than solder.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:09 pm

Excellent work mate, love the home made Stills!!
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor

equipment: To be updated

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks Whisky.

Reckon the TIG it is then, don't any get better at it without practice I guess.
brewman

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:18 pm

woodduck wrote:Thanks mate.

If you've got a tig you'd be mad not to use it. Get some scrap watch some youtube and give it a crack. If you get a pinhole just fill it up, easy. It would be way stronger than solder.

:text-+1: Yeah try and have a practice see how you go. Have you got the gas?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:24 pm

I've got straight Argon for the TIG that I've used for mild steel and the stainless angle. Is there a special mix that should be used or is this ok? I've got some 316 rods as well.
brewman

Postby brewman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:27 pm

All the gear and no idea really when it comes to metal, I'm a woodworker!
brewman

Postby 1 2many » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:28 pm

According to google that is the gas for the job. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby woodduck » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 pm

Argon is the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You will just need some filler rod. I use ss mig wire. Do you have access to some of that? Heaps cheeper and you won't need much if you just fusion weld. The biggest tip I can give is, zero gap= success and no need for high amps. I recon I was using about 35-40 amps on my boiler from memory. You only need a small weld enough to just join the two together, ss is strong stuff.

Give it a crack.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Plated Column Stills