My Little Bubbler Mod

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: My Little Bubbler Mod

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:02 am

I've got a problem with this thing I cant work out, it keeps flooding my column with puke to the top sight glass :angry-banghead:

If anyone can see a problem with the design then speak up, it's driving me nuts :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby LWTCS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:14 am

How much heat are you throwing at it?
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:17 am

LWTCS wrote:How much heat are you throwing at it?

I've been running with the same heat setting as if running without the thumper, roughly my take off is around 2.5L per hour.... so not running it anywhere near as fast as I could.

:think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:04 pm

The puke can only come from one place Mac
Are you racking the Wash etc to knock out the bubbles etc ? I know it may sound stupid , might it might be as simple as that
Puke can only come from one place
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Trouble is Draino when I pull the thumper out and put the still back on it runs fine :think:

I put the extra external drain on and it made no difference.

I've never been able to make my bubbler puke past the bottom sight glass before, it's as if the thumper is flooding the column :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:26 pm

I know it's probably a silly question,but what do you use to charge the thumper with?
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 pm

McStill wrote: it's as if the thumper is flooding the column :angry-banghead:

I just went outside for a smoke and an idea popped into my head ( as they do)
now....is there a possibility that a ( for want of a better term) "pressure difference is occurring ? would the design benefit with a atmospheric balance tube to the rabbit fuker ?
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:15 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: you fuckin slay me Draino :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Just sprayed UJ and dry all over the dog,but back to the question at hand,now that I can breathe again :laughing-rolling: Now I was never too good at physics,mainly coz I never took the subject,but I don't see how there can be much of any of a pressure difference,being that the vapor is being fed into the thumper via a 4" inlet and it is then exiting via a 4" outlet.My understand is that the pressure in the thumper would remain the same as the colum,or pretty close to it.
But hey I'm probably fkn wrong,usually am :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Just ask the missus,who by the way is still disgusted with me about yestys episode :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Could it be that the thumper is too small???
Cane Toad

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 pm

i just had a rethink and I even disappointed myself BD, What the fuck was I thinking !! ( exit stage left ) :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Nah thumper isnt too small, I'm positive it's something real simple that I'm overlooking :angry-banghead:

It's (the rabbit fucker) just a 2 plated extension of the column, maybe it just needs some peepers to see what's going on in there.... I dunno :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:51 pm

I think I understand the idea of the thumper,to collect the piss and stop it from reentering the boiler,and the heat/steam from the boiler turns it into vapor much easier sending it back to the top of the colum,and around we go again.
But if the return line from the thumper to the boiler was too small,wouldn't it cause the thumper to "flood",in much the same way if your downcomers were too small in the column?
I dunno,my head hurts :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: I know what I'm trying to say
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:54 pm

Coz once the piss starts to accumulate in the thumper,there is gunna be a fair bit of it,especially if it's in full reflux mode
Dunno
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:57 pm

I get what your saying but dont think it's the problem, so bzzzzzzt your fucken wrong again :laughing-rolling:

It's got twice the draining capacity of the column, 2 x 3/4 external drains and the top plate has a 1.5" downcomer.

I keep going back to the idea of taking it to work and smashing fuck out of it with the digger, then it will never flood my column again :text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:02 pm

Here's another stupid comment

is the take off rate too slow ?

think ...ya shuvving it the bottom and not taking it off the top...so , its filling up

Mac -> :violence-stickwhack: <- stubs
stubbydrainer

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:06 pm

Well I'm fucked if I know then :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Fuck the top plate off and see what happens.I got know idea really,but if I keep putting them out there and one of em turns out to be the culprit,I can say I TOLD YOU SO :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
I'm gunna shut up now and let somebody who knows what they are talking about take the reins :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:08 pm

stubbydrainer wrote:Here's another stupid comment

is the take off rate too slow ?

think ...ya shuvving it the bottom and not taking it off the top...so , its filling up

Mac -> :violence-stickwhack: <- stubs

This is what I thought too & is what LW eluded too, I'm going to try different run patterns on the new boiler.... One theory bouncing round my skull is to back the coolant to see if it starts squirting 90+ ABV..... as soon as the bottom 4" plate starts flooding.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 pm

yeah, I'm hearing ya Mac
I'm looking forward to the infinite controllability 0% to 100% of electricity, but not the time lag
stubbydrainer

Postby SBB » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Been a bit go on here since i last looked .....its already been mentioned but I reckon its got to do with pressure in the keg.....way I look at it...the more liquid that vapour has to fight its way through, the more pressure in ya boiler. Maybe the addition of the thumper ....bunny fucker thingy... is the straw thats broken the camels back. In short more pressure in ya boiler is stopping the bubbles in the froth/puke in ya boiler bursting as quickly or as soon......there for they rise up more........could be complete rubbish............just an idea.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Wouldnt pressure hold the froth back in the boiler?

I rarely ever charge my keg boiler with 40L, that's a big puke given I use a spoon full of rice bran oil and have 1/3 head space with my rum rum runs :?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills