GONZO THE BUBBLER BUILD

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: GONZO THE BUBBLER BUILD

Postby strongy12 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:26 pm

ok, thanks fellas, that makes sense. ill fix it up, cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strongy12

equipment: 4 inch bubbler

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:35 pm

Haha so either he doesn't have a missus or she's out for the night! That's probably a good way to blow some grime off it though :laughing-rolling:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC
50L Keg with 5000W electric elements.

Postby strongy12 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:51 pm

He used flo bronze to get the black look. I think ill leave it dirty for a few runs before i do anything, im getting in a bit of barney rubble at the moment, spending too musk time in the garage and to be honest i cant wait to finish it and make some whiskey. the plan for this weekend is (finish) then do a vinegar and sacrificial TPW run, strip 75L of TPW and do a 90L all grain mash. I doubt ill get to the all grain mash but ill try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strongy12

Postby strongy12 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I thought Id get a laugh with the dishwasher pic. missus was out when Gonzo had a bath. not sure if it did too much tho, i was just trying to blast some of the left over flux off it
strongy12

Postby maddogpearse » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Why the holes in the risers? :think:
maddogpearse

equipment: 4 plate single cap primus glass bubbler. Optional 600mm packed section. Block head with 3" Shotgun PC

Postby strongy12 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:46 pm

i was gonna solder the two inch bubble cap onto the top of the riser and the vapor goes through the holes. I just copied macs design (well sort of copied it)

Bad idea?
strongy12

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Not that i can think of. Nice work must :handgestures-thumbupleft: have been a pain in the arse to drill them :teasing-tease:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby maddogpearse » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:59 am

Different, I like it, although if you solder the cap to the riser, it might be a proper pita to solder the riser to the plate...that will test how good you are. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
maddogpearse

Postby WTDist » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:10 am

I think it will work, my caps are 50mm i think and my risers are 35mm. I soldered my risers on the plate then placed cap over and put 2 small dobs of solder on to hold that over.

Thought about your hole way, was considering it a few weeks ago but im very time poor and took the easy way out
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby strongy12 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:57 pm

Yeah I should of done it that way WTD, same result in the end I spose, it took me a good hour to drill all the holes, wouldn't do it again that's for sure.
I'm good maddog,(joking) I just sat the plate upside down on top of the cap and soldered in the riser to the plate then just put two dobs of solder on to hold the cap in place. Not sure if you can see what I mean in the photo, my iphone doesn't take very clear pics
strongy12

Postby WTDist » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:40 pm

Lookin good, got my caps nearly done today too, still need some touching up before i will show em
WTDist

Postby strongy12 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:47 am

Go on WTD, give us a look.

Definitely won't be running my still today. Can't get the tri clamp to fit around my tee's , the silicon seals a too fat. I sliced the ridge off both sides so they are flat but they are still to fat, spewing, any suggestions???? Bloddy spewing I was just putting it together to run it. Check the pic
strongy12

Postby WTDist » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:43 am

ill post some pics in a while :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Do you have a vice? could try squashing your flanges a bit more, or grind them a bit thinner with a grinder. I usually use grinder as i dont seem to flatten mine enough and i have no vice
WTDist

Postby rumdidlydum » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:30 pm

Are you running a spacer betewwn two seals? Cant you just take the spacer out and one seal?
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:05 pm

Is it the plate with the caps and downcomer? if so try making it fit the ID of the 4" section and solder it in place s a whole tee and plate in one
WTDist

Postby scythe » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:41 pm

Reduce the plate diameter down so it fits between the ridge on the seal.
Then trim the inner part up to the ridge.

Alternately use silicone baking sheet instead.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Hardie355 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 pm

i could be wrong but im pretty sure Macs custom epdm seals are a fair bit thinner, i used silicon for the glass and epdm everywhere else :think:
Hardie355

equipment: 3" boka and 2" pot still
4" 4 plate glasser with 2.5" 9 tube shotty

Postby strongy12 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:25 pm

all good ides fellas, cheers
im not running a spacer rum thats my bubble plate,
i did think of cutting it so it would fit inside the ridge on the silicon seal but I didnt want to cut my plates down just in case i couldn't get it to seal properly, have you done it like that scythe? did it work? i was thinking the more surface area in contact with the flange and seal less chance of a leak.
i ordered the silicon seals hardy so i didnt have any EPDM ones on hand, i went down to k mart this morning to see if they had any silicon baking trays but no luck, i was looking for a quick fix.
Also didnt want to grind it WTD and weaken the flange as i didn't turn the edge up on my t i just soldered the flange straight on, plus they are paper thin. i smashed them flat with a steel plate and my concrete floor.

I think the easiest way is to just get some EPDM seals im sure that will work unless u are talking from experience scythe and your idea worked, i have plenty of silicon seals i ordered a few extra just in case i fucked a few trying to cut the ridges off. thanks again fellas.

got a vinegar run in today without the plates in or the 2 inch seals, im waiting for my 2 inch seals, i forgot to order them
( i had to do something)
strongy12

Postby strongy12 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:30 pm

check out the welding of my 4 inch tri clamp, ran out of argon, absolute abortion, took me three hours and half a roll of stainless wire to get it to seal. never weld stainless without gas, trust me. im ashamed
strongy12

Postby strongy12 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:30 pm

sorry ferrule not tri clamp
strongy12

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills