The Heart of Gold

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Zak's Heart of Gold

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Definitely not a coppersmith mate, just a bloke with a few basic tools and a willingness to have a crack :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah I like the patina look too, but I did say that I was going to clean this one up and I think it deserves to look pretty :O)

Heaps of hard work and elbow grease coming up to turn her into a shining gleaming tower of terror,
Love ya work buddy
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:55 pm

I should add, I'm not going to polish it... I really like the brushed copper look, so it'll be going to about 1000 grit and getting cleared :dance:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Plumby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Just don't take as long to polish it as you took to build it. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby copperhead road » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:05 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I should add, I'm not going to polish it... I really like the brushed copper look, so it'll be going to about 1000 grit and getting cleared :dance:

I love the brush finish to mate, it looks classy and solid if ya know what I mean, it's a certain look anyways :handgestures-thumbupleft: :happy-partydance: :O)
copperhead road

equipment: Full industrial grade copper 25 gallon short can 4" pot with 10 gallon expansion chamber and gin basket, 3" Gatlon gun condenser (gas flame)

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Eh Zac,
Got some nice botanicals here you may want to try for the first run with the new mod, How about some Manzano chilli's :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: by the time I get around to finding some 1/4" to get mine finished I'll have to wait until next years crop with should yield more than this years take of only 3 buckets full :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby copperhead road » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:I should add, I'm not going to polish it... I really like the brushed copper look, so it'll be going to about 1000 grit and getting cleared :dance:

Hi Zak
You mentioned putting a clear coat on copper, I was thinking in regards to my still could I do that to my whole pot still, I was not sure how it would go especially on the copper can or boiler as you guys call it.
Would love to here what you pro's reckon on the matter of clear coating :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Bobsyauncle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:20 pm

As long as the paint has a temp rating over 100°C you should be fine.
Bobsyauncle

equipment: 4 plate 4" bubbler with packed section
Copper T500

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm

IMG_0846.JPG

Heatup time be gone! This is just one layer, I've got enough insulation left to do another lap when I get a minute. Eventually I'm going to cut down a hot water cylinder to cover the lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Lowie » Mon May 01, 2017 1:32 pm

copperhead road wrote:

Hi Zak
You mentioned putting a clear coat on copper, I was thinking in regards to my still could I do that to my whole pot still, I was not sure how it would go especially on the copper can or boiler as you guys call it.
Would love to here what you pro's reckon on the matter of clear coating :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I bought a couple of cans of high temp clear "paint" the other day from Supercheap. 1 can $18 or 2 for $22. Go figure. Put a nice shine on my parts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Dig Brinker » Mon May 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Looks the goods there, Zak. How have you stuck it down?
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon May 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Just a couple of laps of 50mm tape so far, I'll get some gaffa tape from work though and seal it up good and proper.

According to the calculator it's running at about 85% efficiency, I reckon another lap of insulation will knock another few minutes off of the warmup time.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby copperhead road » Mon May 01, 2017 3:42 pm

Looks like a real tidy professional jacket, well done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
copperhead road

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed May 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Spent a bit of time cleaning some niggles up this arvo.

IMG_0889.JPG

Soldered the top on to the blockhead, which frees up a clamp and seals for my future packed section and removes a potential leak spot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Re: The Heart of Gold

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Fiiiiiiinally got my recirculating water setup finished today. 250L wheely bin with a bunnings XU1 submersible pump, works an absolute treat. I have another wheely bin to plumb in as well, and I sorted the connection pipe today.

My new sweet spot is 90%, at just under 2L/h..

I LOVE THIS STILL!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:43 am

DSC_0655.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

Yes I know the parrot is on the piss, no I do not plan to fix it in a hurry.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Nathan02 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 am

Fuckin mint mate!
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Huntsman96 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:17 am

Hey Zak just wondering how the parrot is attached? I know some people don't attach it, some people solder it and some people triclamp it but i was just wondering what fitting you've got on there?
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:19 am

It's a Swagelok compression fitting I found at work but it's not reeeeeally doing it for me... It doesn't completely seal and occasionally I get a bit of a leak. I'm going to build another parrot with a fores drain and a triclamp connection.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Huntsman96 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am

Cheers mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: good to know its better to go the triclamp. I was planning on it anyway but a bit of confirmation helps.
Huntsman96

equipment: 2" boka / regular old pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 am

Yeah I used this fitting because the price was right but it's been a fuckaround the whole time. Triclamp is the way to go.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills