Do's n Dont's for a 4" Eliminator or similar.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Do's n Dont's for a 4" Eliminator or similar.

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:52 pm

It does sound like u have confused a 200mm spacer with a packed section. There is no packed section on a eliminator or equalizer. Have a look at the neutralizer, u can clearly see the packed section above the plates.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby rumpirate » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:32 pm

In the description on FSD website it's called a 'mesh caddy'. On the parts list supplied on delivery its called a '4" gin caddy'.
Not sure if that helps? It's a 4" section with a perforated plate at the bottom.
rumpirate

equipment: 50L milk can + 2 x 2400w elements, FSD 4" Eliminator, 200L Keezer with 4 taps.

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:44 pm

Yeah ok it came packed with copper mesh so is that wrong ???
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:47 pm

quote from 5 star site
"Here's a version of the Mac 4 SSG with upgraded 2.5" condenser, and a copper mesh caddy for the ultimate in sulphides removal."
pic shows caddy or catalyzer below the bottom plate

the caddys 100mm and the copper roll is 100mm which means the bottom downcomer is sitting within the mesh
unless the mesh is extremely loose it would hamper the downcomers ability to drain.
My bet is that its a tight roll.

does the column flood from bottom up ?
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:48 pm

It was rolled up almost in half so it was hitting the downcomer so I rewound it in half so it was not hitting so it has 5mm clearance from downcomer. As from the question it maybe too much and too tight so I think I should remove some so it can flow back through to stop the flooding. By the posts that is correct will let you know in a few days. Still looking at the control getting wired up and the needle valve bypass for the RC.
Cheersbigears

Postby rumpirate » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:17 pm

I spoke to Sue today. She said the amount of copper mesh can be varied by either folding over itself again to give the downcomer more clearance or just simply use less mesh.
I'm in the middle of my vinegar run now with the full roll of mesh installed and it looks exactly like an overloaded bubble plate. The level of the boiling liquid easily reaches over where the bubble plate would be. My bubble plates aren't installed as there have been some supply issues and I don't have them yet. So I can see it easily bubbling on top of the copper mesh and that's with the RC completely off. I know vinegar is different to alcohol but I hoped this would help.
So I think I'll leave the 'basket' at the bottom as FSD recommend and maybe use less copper mesh to allow the liquid to fall through the mesh more readily.
:greetings-waveyellow: Cheers all
rumpirate

equipment: 50L milk can + 2 x 2400w elements, FSD 4" Eliminator, 200L Keezer with 4 taps.

Postby Cheersbigears » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:59 am

What I have done as I said at the start of the question is folded it in halve so theres 5mm clearance from the downcomer it was folded almost in have but touching the downcomer when I got it. I have just done it again in halve but under gravity rolled it up and cut off about 700mm Im about to do a run and see what happens.
Cheersbigears

Postby Cheersbigears » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Yep all good now no build up in sight glasses. Just stripped and washed it all after macrum run onto next wash. Should you pull it all apart after each wash so far if im doing the same type of wash I have just removed the top sight glass and in went the hose and a good flush. But strip after a rum?
Cheersbigears

Postby wil » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi guy's Sorry I hadn't replied for quite a while, my Mother in law had Motor Neuron Disease & passed away a few months ago. So it's been a tough time for the family the last 6 months & had to shelve everything. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Anyway in regards to vapour coming thru while thinking im in full reflux. I did initially have a problem where I would have the RC fully open & would still get an occasional drop thru & that's why I would close the PC off to re direct more water flow thru the RC which worked, but I wasn't happy that the water had to be redirected to achieve full reflux.

So while pondering this situation :think: I believe its because I have to pump (750watt submersible pump) vertically up from my 1000L water cube about 3 to 4 metres and this is inhibiting the volume of water.

So to keep the wife happy :pray: , I have moved my distilling gear from the back verandah to the carport which will be transformed into a garage in the new year. I hope that being on the same level as the water source it will give better water flow/volume to more easily obtain reflux so as Mac stated I can have the PC on flatout & only have to adjust the RC

any thoughts,feedback or criticisms welcome.

Looking forward to setting up in the carport/garage which will take some time to complete but will do a few runs in the new year.

cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby Cheersbigears » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:24 pm

I was also having trouble with the output flat out getting the 1-1.2lts so got a controller and wow. What a difference a little more power has made. Now have some adjustment in the gate valve. My boiler is about 65lt but I charge it to about 50Lts. As I knew I was going to make rum washes and I have the 60lts fermenters. To get away from the puking mess that is spoke about. Let's see if I just jinxed myself.
Now I can see this still really for what it can do. Money well spent.
Cheersbigears

Postby Yurugaboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:04 pm

EziTasting wrote:Hey CBE,

We have a 50L keg with 2 X 2400W heating elements and a 4 X 4" bubble plates. When we start a run, it's both elements on (don't have a controller) and then we have the water going into the RC unrestricted, PC is not getting water at this stage...
Once all plates are loaded (that's 'bubbling') i keep it there for an hour to ensure that the Fores are definitely in the first 250-300ml. Then I turn off the higher element (ours aren't side-by-side, one is higher than the other) and just run on the bottom one (full power!). I then turn on the power to a submersible pump that feeds the PC from a reservoir..
I then adjust the water to the RC until it gives me the flow rate I'm looking for (slow for foreshots - dripping, then faster for the rest - small stream). Any adjustments to the RC take a little while so wait until you see a change (not like me that was expecting instant changes and then keeps fiddling upsetting the whole thing! :doh: ), but I haven't yet had it affected by a toilet or a shower... :wtf:

Keep plugging along... but your right, there will be more questions to come because you don't even know WHAT to ask yet! Just wait until you think you know and suddenly nothing works anymore! Ferments suddenly don't work, can't get the ABV you used to get :teasing-blah: THATs when the fun starts! AND the learning...

----
Hi,

I am looking at an FSD eliminator but with a blockhead , to lower height ,and a gin caddy under the RC. Mac told me today that it will need 2 runs through to get neutral. Is this first a stripping run? I have read and read and read a lot of these forums but now know where to concentrate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also have got got both 2.4kw elements running off one household circuit or one per circuit?

I may get ball valves for inlet on the RC and PC to give some better control. I understand a lot of what you have said but am still nervous about the first wash.I've got the FSD 50 litre milcan sorted . Do you elevate the can. i am very height concious.
Thansk for your advice its great. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:09 pm

Yurugaboy wrote:
EziTasting wrote:Hey CBE,

We have a 50L keg with 2 X 2400W heating elements and a 4 X 4" bubble plates. When we start a run, it's both elements on (don't have a controller) and then we have the water going into the RC unrestricted, PC is not getting water at this stage...
Once all plates are loaded (that's 'bubbling') i keep it there for an hour to ensure that the Fores are definitely in the first 250-300ml. Then I turn off the higher element (ours aren't side-by-side, one is higher than the other) and just run on the bottom one (full power!). I then turn on the power to a submersible pump that feeds the PC from a reservoir..
I then adjust the water to the RC until it gives me the flow rate I'm looking for (slow for foreshots - dripping, then faster for the rest - small stream). Any adjustments to the RC take a little while so wait until you see a change (not like me that was expecting instant changes and then keeps fiddling upsetting the whole thing! :doh: ), but I haven't yet had it affected by a toilet or a shower... :wtf:

Keep plugging along... but your right, there will be more questions to come because you don't even know WHAT to ask yet! Just wait until you think you know and suddenly nothing works anymore! Ferments suddenly don't work, can't get the ABV you used to get :teasing-blah: THATs when the fun starts! AND the learning...

----
Hi,

I am looking at an FSD eliminator but with a blockhead , to lower height ,and a gin caddy under the RC. Mac told me today that it will need 2 runs through to get neutral. Is this first a stripping run? I have read and read and read a lot of these forums but now know where to concentrate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also have got got both 2.4kw elements running off one household circuit or one per circuit?

I may get ball valves for inlet on the RC and PC to give some better control. I understand a lot of what you have said but am still nervous about the first wash.I've got the FSD 50 litre milcan sorted . Do you elevate the can. i am very height concious.
Thansk for your advice its great. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

First run is a stripping Run, I only elevate mine if I'm doing gens with backset/dunder, you will need to run elements on separate circuits and also get a power controller. I use gate valves on my bubbler, I found them a bit easier to use than ball valves. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Sam. on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Yurugaboy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:34 am

macs wrote::text-+1: what Zak said.

I never touch the PC. It is on full and doesn't get touched, ever. When I fire up the power I open the RC wheel 360 degrees, turn on the water, and wait until the plates have been loaded for about 10 minutes. Then close the RC wheel 180 degrees and that should start a slow dripping flow from the PC. Once I've collected about 250ml I close the RC a little more to get a good flow, then don't touch anything until I'm into tails and shut the whole thing down. Simples.

Yep- this how I run it. I do measure output to check RC valve position. 42 mls per minute = good
Yurugaboy
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" 4 plate Blockhead Bubbler on a 50 l FSD milk can powered by 2x 2400w elements

Previous

Return to Plated Column Stills