Do's n Dont's for a 4" Eliminator or similar.

Perforated & bubble cap plated columns

Re: Do's n Dont's for a 4" Eliminator or similar.

Postby coffe addict » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:47 pm

It doesn't seem to be the done thing with bubblers but on bokas and similar most people insulate the column to stop breezes and cold messing with it.
I don't see why that wouldn't be a help in this case, perhaps someone with experience can chime in?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Ours in a glasser so insulating it would defeat the purpose of the glass :D , but we've insulated the boiler and that's made a difference!
I see your point, tho... A couple of shed builds here and other forums have guys building cupboards around their set-ups which, both hides the still AND cuts out wind effects... When I have a permanent location for our still, it'll be one of the projects on the cards.
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:55 pm

If you're running outside, a bit of insulation definitely won't hurt :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby wil » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey Ezi & Bluc sorry for taking so long to reply, family stuff getting in the way but it takes priority over other things.

Yeah get what your saying:
EziTasting wrote:Good point Will,
Always wait after making changes to the RC valve, because it does take a moment before you actually see any changes!

Will, are you saying that your RC allows fumes to get thru? You said you get a few drops when you turn your PC on full... Unless I'm reading this wrong?!?! If this is the case, I'd be worried because it sounds like alcoholic fumes get thru... I'd consider that very dangerous... :scared-eek:

I failed to mention :oops: I also close off RC to the last 1/4 turn to get fores going & then from there small adjustments on the RC to get toothpick flow.
cheers
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Hey All
I'm up and running so to speak, I washed in soapy water, than as I had a few stripped TPW there I filled to 40% and run it out to the 60%. Run the weetbix, nutrigrain and two rum and wow the weetbix makes a very nice vodka. Kept the TPW for next clean. Yes with the RC with full flow of water and pc slightly open it still lets vapour through, so after I get a good stubby full that's when I open the pc fully and start to close the RC valve. Before I run it again I have to take out some copper because as soon as it gets to around the 85-80% it starts to load up the plates and into the sight glasses. And that's with only one 2400w on full. Should I be looking at the stuff I take out of the column put it above the plates in the 90 bends at the top. As my boiler is over the 50lts one element should not be too much power.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:39 am

So you've still got vapour exiting the PC? This is a bad thing mate, if the PC isn't condensing all of the vapour you need to throw more water at it.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby macs » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:24 am

:text-+1: what Zak said.

I never touch the PC. It is on full and doesn't get touched, ever. When I fire up the power I open the RC wheel 360 degrees, turn on the water, and wait until the plates have been loaded for about 10 minutes. Then close the RC wheel 180 degrees and that should start a slow dripping flow from the PC. Once I've collected about 250ml I close the RC a little more to get a good flow, then don't touch anything until I'm into tails and shut the whole thing down. Simples.
macs

equipment: Keg boiler and Neutraliser.

Postby scythe » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:41 pm

A 50L boiler should run fine on 1x 2400w element, altho power control is a good thing as well to hit the flow rate you want.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Cheersbigears » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:03 pm

Sorry the RC let's vapour through on heating up before all the plates are loaded so I have the pc on a little so there is no vapour out the pc on heat up. The RC 1/2 gate valve is open full and tap with town water pressure is on full as well. After 30 min or so i start adjusting taps so at least another 20-30 before i get it set after letting it settle. But What about the sight glasses on the tees getting full should I be taking some copper mesh out so they don't start to load up to much. and if so should I be putting it somewhere high. Im thinking just take some out and leave it out just have a loser roll of copper.
Cheersbigears

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Cheersbigears wrote:Sorry the RC let's vapour through on heating up before all the plates are loaded so I have the pc on a little so there is no vapour out the pc on heat up. The RC 1/2 gate valve is open full and tap with town water pressure is on full as well. After 30 min or so i start adjusting taps so at least another 20-30 before i get it set after letting it settle. But What about the sight glasses on the tees getting full should I be taking some copper mesh out so they don't start to load up to much. and if so should I be putting it somewhere high. Im thinking just take some out and leave it out just have a loser roll of copper.

Lets break this down a little

Sorry the RC let's vapour through on heating up before all the plates are loaded so I have the pc on a little so there is no vapour out the pc on heat up. The RC 1/2 gate valve is open full and tap with town water pressure is on full as well

Thats great that it was only the RC. If you have a controller and dial the boil back a bit once you are up to temperature, you can maintain a equilibrium.

After 30 min or so i start adjusting taps so at least another 20-30 before i get it set after letting it settle

Are you chasing the reflux and take off here?
A needle valve is best suited to control a RC, small movements and give it time to react.

But What about the sight glasses on the tees getting full should I be taking some copper mesh out so they don't start to load up to much. and if so should I be putting it somewhere high. Im thinking just take some out and leave it out just have a loser roll of copper

Your sight glasses shouldn't be getting full. If the are they are flooding and the down comer can't keep up. (have you got copper scrubbers in each module? Which is why its blocking it?
Each glass should only load up to the height of the down comer.

Hows all that sound :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 pm

A couple of pics would clear things up pretty quick :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Cheersbigears » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 pm

I was chasing more relux but I have been told this slight bypass is ok. I only have the one packed section with a tight roll of copper in it that was supplied. Its all loaded correctly at the start but as the percentage starts to drop from about the 80-85% the level starts to raise on the plates and keeps going.
Yes I have a controller but still needs to get wired up, one thing Im not sure of that lectrickdee stuff.
The only copper I have is in the packed section which is at the bottom and then the tees with the bubble plates only.
Cheersbigears

Postby EziTasting » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:05 am

I think there are more than just one thing happening here... pics will give the more experienced the opportunity to correct any 'assembly' issues which may sort out what you're experiencing AND help you to learn more about your setup!
If it doesn't, then there'd be an opportunity for others to see what may or may not be an operators error (not having a go, but how else will you learn?). I have had my 'interpretation' of running instructions altered by more experienced operators and am running quite well now and can now focus on other things like recipes and fermentations...

In short, tho, when I start the heating, my RC & PC are full of water going full speed! I have a 200L and recirculatemy water - only when that gets hit do I bypass it...

This ensures that NO vapours escape!
EziTasting

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:13 pm

If your ABV is dropping constantly you are pushing it too hard, you need more reflux to maintain ABV.

Also your 500mm packed section should be above your plates. :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cheersbigears » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:04 pm

I dont think Im pushing it to hard as I get a few liters out in the 90s with a steady alcometer. Plates are still working the same. But as it drop % it starts to build on the bottom plate/s and into the sight glass.
I only have the 200mm packed section which is at the bottom as in the pic. Only a tight roll of copper in it and 5mm from downcomer. The top plates are still working the same thats why I think I have a little too much copper mesh as the heavier alcohol can not get back down through the mesh as easy.

Yes as rumdidlydum said is right
Your sight glasses shouldn't be getting full. If the are they are flooding and the down comer can't keep up. (have you got copper scrubbers in each module? Which is why its blocking it?
Each glass should only load up to the height of the down comer.

and no scrubbers just the one lot of mesh at the very bottom.

But yes Im looking at a bigger 500mm packed section for vodka so i dont have to run slow or two
runs. I was thinking of adding it to the top above the RC and leave everything else the same. But saying that the weetbix wash was very nice coming of this set up as is so still in two mine for that.

yes Im looking at a 1/4in needle valve bypass setup but want to to be all shiny as I have set it up so far with the braided hoses etc.
Cheersbigears

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:39 pm

I am curious about your packed section below your plates? usually it would be above your plates and below your rc, I would think that your packed section is impeding reflux. When I do a neutral run I have 5 plates, 500mm packed section then the rc, still have to run real slow for really clean neutral. Couldn't see your pic by the way. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby EziTasting » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:12 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I am curious about your packed section below your plates? usually it would be above your plates and below your rc, I would think that your packed section is impeding reflux. When I do a neutral run I have 5 plates, 500mm packed section then the rc, still have to run real slow for really clean neutral. Couldn't see your pic by the way. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1:

Altho I have heard that the packed section can act as anothe plate... but in this case it certainly sounds like it's not allowing the condensate to return to the boiler, therefore flooding the bottom plate!

Perhaps the copper IS too tightly wound...?!?!
EziTasting

Postby Meatheadinc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:55 pm

the mesh at the bottom will be blocking the bottom downcomer.
most catalyzers are above the RC.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby Cheersbigears » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:15 pm

Sounds like a call to mac too see where the packed section goes. In the pic on his site its at the bottom. For the run when I get home I will remove some mesh and see how it goes.
Cheersbigears

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Sam. wrote:If your ABV is dropping constantly you are pushing it too hard, you need more reflux to maintain ABV.

Also your 500mm packed section should be above your plates. :-B

Call Mac by all means but, the question has already been answered :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

PreviousNext

Return to Plated Column Stills