M1 yeast

Yeast talk, turbo, bakers and specialised strains

M1 yeast

Postby murray82gp » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:46 am

Can anyone recommend where to buy m1 yeast at a reasonable price either online or Newcastle area..
Many thanks
murray82gp
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: Newcastle
equipment: Yes.. another sucker: T500 Reflux Still

Re: M1 yeast

Postby Tesla101 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi murray,

I can't help you with where to buy it, but I was wondering why you specifically wan that yeast. What are you using it for?
Tesla101
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:48 pm
Location: Melbourne-ish, VIC
equipment: T500 column & alembic pot

Re: M1 yeast

Postby bluess57 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:38 pm

murray82gp wrote:Can anyone recommend where to buy m1 yeast at a reasonable price either online or Newcastle area..
Many thanks


How many grams you looking for?

Eg small packet:-
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/383115811662
bluess57
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 pm
Location: Waffling Wally's (Turdbull) Territory (ACT)
equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Re: M1 yeast

Postby res » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:13 am

Your local HBS will sometimes order in speciality yeast, might have to get the 500g block though ;-)
res
 
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm
Location: Melbourne
equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Re: M1 yeast

Postby tubbsy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:34 am

IBrew has it in 100 or 500g packs for a good price.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/safsp ... from-100gm
tubbsy
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:40 pm
Location: Tasmania
equipment: 10L stock pot with 1.5" boka and a 50L Keg with a 3" Boka on a 1500mm column.

Re: M1 yeast

Postby Lowie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:29 pm

:text-+1:
That's where I get my 500gm blocks from.
Lowie
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 pm
Location: Crow eater
equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: M1 yeast

Postby Lowie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:32 pm

Tesla101 wrote:Hi murray,

I can't help you with where to buy it, but I was wondering why you specifically wan that yeast. What are you using it for?


M1 is the classic scotch whiskey yeast. far better than using bakers yeast. Personally I use USW-6 for my "Australian Whiskey"
Lowie
 
Posts: 686
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 1:32 pm
Location: Crow eater
equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: M1 yeast

Postby mattyb » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:22 am

tubbsy wrote:IBrew has it in 100 or 500g packs for a good price.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/safsp ... from-100gm


How far does 100g go? Pretty expensive stuff. Been looking for something like this too but doesn’t seem feasible
mattyb
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: WA
equipment: 4" Glasser

Re: M1 yeast

Postby tubbsy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:09 am

mattyb wrote:
How far does 100g go? Pretty expensive stuff. Been looking for something like this too but doesn’t seem feasible


The dosing rate is 50-80g/hL, or 12.5-20g per 25L so up to 8 of my size batches per 100g at $2.94 per batch. Then you can collect the yeast after fermentation for 5 or 6 (or maybe more) generations and effectively get 40-48 x 25L ferments from the 100g which is a yeast cost of $0.49 per 25L ferment. There is also the possibility of doing a yeast starter to propagate more yeast before use so you can stretch it further again.
tubbsy
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:40 pm
Location: Tasmania
equipment: 10L stock pot with 1.5" boka and a 50L Keg with a 3" Boka on a 1500mm column.

Re: M1 yeast

Postby mattyb » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:11 am

tubbsy wrote:
mattyb wrote:
How far does 100g go? Pretty expensive stuff. Been looking for something like this too but doesn’t seem feasible


The dosing rate is 50-80g/hL, or 12.5-20g per 25L so up to 8 of my size batches per 100g at $2.94 per batch. Then you can collect the yeast after fermentation for 5 or 6 (or maybe more) generations and effectively get 40-48 x 25L ferments from the 100g which is a yeast cost of $0.49 per 25L ferment. There is also the possibility of doing a yeast starter to propagate more yeast before use so you can stretch it further again.



That sounds good. Will give it a try
mattyb
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 pm
Location: WA
equipment: 4" Glasser

Re: M1 yeast

Postby murray82gp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am

Thanks for the feed back guys, saved me hours of searching..
murray82gp
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:12 pm
Location: Newcastle
equipment: Yes.. another sucker: T500 Reflux Still


Return to Yeast



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

x