Nutrients

Yeast talk, turbo, bakers and specialised strains

Nutrients

Postby Whiskyaugogo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Hiya all,

I was going to sell the 3 remaining packs of turbo shite :puke-huge: I have from the "dark days" and it occurred to me it may have another use. If i threw all this in together and boiled it, would it make a good mash nutrient, like DAP? Would it have any bad flavours or would the boiling process get rid of them?
Whiskyaugogo
Site Donor
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:48 pm
Location: Canberra, Australia
equipment: To be updated

Re: Nutrients

Postby Geeps » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Hang them on the wall in a nice picture frame somewhere in ya stilling area to remind you to never go back and all ways learn from your mistakes. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
Geeps
 
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:52 pm
equipment: Rose oil extractor

Re: Nutrients

Postby badbird » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:50 pm

This is probably considered sacrilege but I was given some Still Spirits classic turbo packets a while ago and have had reasonable results using half the normal quantity in WBAB washes aiming for around 9%.
I wouldn't go out and buy turbo specially but if you already have it....
badbird
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:05 pm
Location: The Shoalhaven, NSW
equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Re: Nutrients

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 pm

badbird wrote:This is probably considered sacrilege but I was given some Still Spirits classic turbo packets a while ago and have had reasonable results using half the normal quantity in WBAB washes aiming for around 9%.
I wouldn't go out and buy turbo specially but if you already have it....

Using half a pac.
That probably is a good use BB. Got to do some more playing but I am more and more convinced that WBAB although being in Tried and proven is lacking in nuetrients an is why it never fully ferments out as apposed to TPWs which end up drier than the Nullabor.
Turbo also have pH buffers in them , another thing which WBAB seems to become too acidic to early .
Yummyrum
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Near Coffs
equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Nutrients

Postby mattcoffs » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm

Yummyrum wrote:to TPWs which end up drier than the Nullabor.

:))
mattcoffs
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:39 pm
equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Re: Nutrients

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Yummyrum wrote: I am more and more convinced that WBAB although being in Tried and proven is lacking in nuetrients

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:

A dollop of tp will do the trick, but your right.. Definitely lacking nutes for a T&P, mine never finish as dry or low as TPW and it can keep working for ages, just gently fizzing away. But it does make a killer vodka :D

Edit: sorry for the OT. I wouldn't bother with the turbs mate, chuck it in the bin... You have already seen the light.. Onwards and upwards :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Perth
equipment: Column & pot

Re: Nutrients

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 pm

Yummyrum wrote: Got to do some more playing but I am more and more convinced that WBAB although being in Tried and proven is lacking in nuetrients an is why it never fully ferments out as apposed to TPWs which end up drier than the Nullabor.


When you say not fermenting out fully, what sort of gravity are you talking? Because the WBAB is maltish based it will never ferment out to 990 like a TPW because it has unfermentables in it.
Sam.
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10277
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: South Oz Straya
equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.
.

Re: Nutrients

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:11 pm

My WBAB's always get to about 1000... I add a crushed multivitamin tablet to all of my washes though :think:
Zak Griffin
Mentor
 
Posts: 6831
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Radelaide
equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Re: Nutrients

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Yeah again sorry for the off topic op :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I add vit b to mine and still never gets to 1000 :angry-banghead:

I leave the wb washes for vodka only, can't stand the 'weetbix whiskey' :puke-huge:

Only with the tom paste has it fully finished below 1000
Urrazeb
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Perth
equipment: Column & pot

Re: Nutrients

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Any perticular type of multi vitamin tablet? Zac

And i like the idea of the tomato paste, both very simple remedies.

Thanks guys. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 3497
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:54 pm
Location: Good old country SA
equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: Nutrients

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Just a men's multivitamin that was on special... Vit. B is the main ingredient :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Mentor
 
Posts: 6831
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 pm
Location: Radelaide
equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Re: Nutrients

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 pm

Anything that has basic ingredients gets a dose of "b complex" for me. Never used dap but in low nutrient washes i would.. if i could be arsed getting some... Guess I never really needed it, there are other things available that suffuce without adding more to the cupboard
Urrazeb
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Perth
equipment: Column & pot

Re: Nutrients

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Sam. wrote:
Yummyrum wrote: Got to do some more playing but I am more and more convinced that WBAB although being in Tried and proven is lacking in nuetrients an is why it never fully ferments out as apposed to TPWs which end up drier than the Nullabor.


When you say not fermenting out fully, what sort of gravity are you talking? Because the WBAB is maltish based it will never ferment out to 990 like a TPW because it has unfermentables in it.

Sam sg never rarely below 1.010 and typically 1.020.....still very sweet tasting
Yummyrum
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Near Coffs
equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Nutrients

Postby woodduck » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:56 pm

I already have some dap, will this do instead of the vitamins? Also i forgot what she told me at the shop about how much to use so i just dribble a bit in, about a couple of tea spoons i suppose. Is this a bit more critical than that? How much should i use.
woodduck
Lifetime Member
 
Posts: 3497
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:54 pm
Location: Good old country SA
equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: Nutrients

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
Sam. wrote:
Yummyrum wrote: Got to do some more playing but I am more and more convinced that WBAB although being in Tried and proven is lacking in nuetrients an is why it never fully ferments out as apposed to TPWs which end up drier than the Nullabor.


When you say not fermenting out fully, what sort of gravity are you talking? Because the WBAB is maltish based it will never ferment out to 990 like a TPW because it has unfermentables in it.

Sam sg never rarely below 1.010 and typically 1.020.....still very sweet tasting


Yeah 1020 is pretty high. If all other factors like aeration, temp, pitch rate etc are good then yeah, definitely want something extra :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10277
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:19 pm
Location: South Oz Straya
equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.
.

Re: Nutrients

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:13 pm

woodduck wrote:I already have some dap, will this do instead of the vitamins? Also i forgot what she told me at the shop about how much to use so i just dribble a bit in, about a couple of tea spoons i suppose. Is this a bit more critical than that? How much should i use.

The nutes as far as I have read are there to help the yeast grow and multiply in the initial stage of fermentation, if I were you I'd be reducing the dose by 1/4 each wash until it affects the timing. The thing is there is no set rule as to amounts and you gotta really suss it out for yourself so it makes the ground work your own, posting results will help others that walk the same path :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Perth
equipment: Column & pot

Re: Nutrients

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:18 pm

I used a teaspoon per 5liters when I used to do a lot of wines but I think it might be too much....just uswd to follow wine recipes.

I think WBAB its almost there but not quite so maybe halve a teaspoon per 5 liters but I agree with Urazebb that it should be cut back until minimum is found ......too much DAP smells lile turbo
Yummyrum
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:19 pm
Location: Near Coffs
equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Nutrients

Postby badbird » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:33 pm

I probably go overboard with additions but the last few WBAB 30l ferments (not the turbo variate) have had a teaspoon of DAP, a multiB and a tablespoon of tomato paste for luck. Haven't had any problem with them not fermenting out below 1.000 though I generally don't put in as much weetbix as the t&t recipe.
The PH crash is still a bit of an issue though, I am dosing with limestone powder when it gets to low, it brings it up ok but there may be better ways. There has been some discussion on HD about adding shell grit to the wash to buffer the pH from the start, might give this a go when i can use my fermenters again.
badbird
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:05 pm
Location: The Shoalhaven, NSW
equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Re: Nutrients

Postby kickarum » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Hi all
I ordered a pack of turbo off eBay the day before I found this site, now it floats around the place from bench top to tabletop around about just as a reminder. Every time I notice it makes me grin :-D :smile: Big thanks to all. :clap:
kickarum
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 am
Location: Sunshine Coast
equipment: Penny Copper pot still, 50L Keg/Boiler

Re: Nutrients

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:15 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: thats what it's all about

I still have some essence that have the same life kicka :laughing-rolling: 8-}
Urrazeb
 
Posts: 2340
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:42 am
Location: Perth
equipment: Column & pot

Next

Return to Yeast



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x