Hard soldering. Brazing. Silver.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Hard soldering. Brazing. Silver.

Postby WTDist » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:46 am

lol, i will go there and get them in my high vis too then :))
even though i dont work anymore :))

thats a good price
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:05 am

WTDist wrote:Couple of questions though,

when brazing does it help to clean the joints with some sand paper or something like with soft solder?
Copper self cleans when up to dull red then left for a couple of moments to go black(cool). Only the worst lead based paint can be difficult but I guess you wont be using that shit. Some "sandpapers" leave shit on the join area causing grieff

and i know people say you dont need flux with copper to copper and i did not use any this time or when i do flange rings but is there any benefit for it with flux on copper to make it a little easier or is it just a waste of time and money?
I do this for a living and only use flux when brazing dissimilar metals (brass to copper etc) cos it is a waste of money and flux deposits cause corrosion in the long term and/or hide defects in the short term

and lastly i used 2% a while ago on rings for flanges and switched to 5% (used this today also) and saw a msssive difference in how easy it was to use compared to the 2% on the swivel map gas torch. Does the silver % matter just as much now i have the oxy/map kit with the high heat?

The higher the silver the less heat is needed. This can be exploited when doing lots of joins in close proximity. For example shotgun condensers
Your best friend when doing pretty joins is whiteout
After many years soldering stuff as an apprentice we started brazing using silver alloys and threw all our problems away with the soldering gear
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby WTDist » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:26 am

cheers p3t3r, that helps alot
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 am

goes black
IMG_3287.JPG

White out
IMG_3286.JPG

no flux (No cleanup done on this)
IMG_3299 (640x480).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
3v beer rig

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm

So for silver soldering(not soft solder) what flux do i need for copper to stainless?
bluc
Mentor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler no bells or whistles..

Postby bluc » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:16 pm

So after spending last 2ish hours on the topic I have bought some stay silv by harris. Good for high temp silver soldering stainless to copper :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Mentor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler no bells or whistles..

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:01 pm

bluc wrote:So for silver soldering(not soft solder) what flux do i need for copper to stainless?

Well I used this cos that is what I have and am used to.
flux.JPG

Now i use this. :cool:
TIG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3T3rPan

3v beer rig

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench