Help ! Not The smoothest Easy flange.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Help ! Not The smoothest Easy flange.

Postby danwbrews » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:45 pm

Well the first couple easy flanges came off pretty good. They were flat, smooth and sealed well. I built a reducer for the take off from my PC and was crazy and not being the best at brazing , tried to braze the lip of the flange on the reducer. It's not to great. Not very flat. I've run out of copper to make another reducer and am excited to do my first run. it's only off by a little, not so flat in places. Hard seals won't work. What should I use to make a seal for this? Am I just worried... it is the cold side of the condenser, the liquid should just fall straight though. Am I being paranoid ? I have some silicone sheet to make gaskets out of. Would that work ok. I forgot to say that I am working on a pot still on a 1/2 barrel keg. It's powered by two 2000W heaters, one that is output controlled.
Just out there for some advice. I'll be doing a cleaning run sometime next week so I'll probably see then if it leaks. :angry-banghead:
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Re: Help ! Not The smoothest Easy flange.

Postby scythe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Photos will help us.

You can always sand it flat on some concrete
That should bring it closer to flat.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby danwbrews » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:50 pm

I've tried. My father in-law was a mechanical engineer (died before we met) had loads of tools( still in the shed) for leveling factories. Lots of perfectly flat stuff. I almost wore myself out trying to get it flat. Brazing rod is just to hard and copper to thin. If I had more copper I would just add a flat piece on. It's just too thin to go any further.
Maybe I should just add a braised ring and remove the messed up ring like my original EZ Flanges. Should have done that in the first place. I still have tubing and my originals seal just fine. .
I did EZ flanges on my PC. I guess I was just lazy, looking for a quick fix.
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:48 pm

danwbrews wrote:I guess I was just lazy, looking for a quick fix.

This is the statement that should go into the “tell us your fuck up” thread. 8-}
Doubleuj

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby db1979 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:05 am

If it's for your product take off it won't matter, so long as the liquid runs through it and doesn't pool there. My PC outlet is open and I either put a collection jar straight underneath it or my parrot which has a cone large enough to catch all the liquid.
Not the best photo (and I haven't cleaned up messy soldering) but you should be able to see what I mean, PC and cone in the background.
15606521633210.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979
Mentor

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Virtually retired: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses)

Return to Tips From The Workbench