Silver brazing rods

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Silver brazing rods

Postby Knocklofty » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi folks, just looking at 56 silver rods , does anyone have a preference for fluxed or unfluxed rods
Thanks
Knocklofty

equipment: Reflux and pot

Re: Silver brazing rods

Postby coffe addict » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:01 pm

On the whole flux isn't needed just heat to red and allow to cool to black. Then braze away. I've found flux handy when you can't get the heat at the right place (ie something in the way) a little flux can help get a good flow of of brazing rod into the hard to get places.

So I would go for unfluxed rods and a small pot of flux.
I'm still a novice though so hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby rumdidlydum » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:20 am

I found the fluxed ones a pain in the arse, unfluxed for me. :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Carbonator » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:26 am

Unfluxed and the higher the Silver content (more expensive) the better the flow into the joint, therefor, easier for a beginner. Copper to copper, just get both cherry red and remove flame and hit it with the solder. If copper to brass or brass to brass, I found the flux paste a must have.
Carbonator

equipment: Nothing at this stage - just looking for ideas.

Postby Diggermandan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm

So 15% are the way to go ??
Diggermandan

equipment: Building researching new still running t500 ATM

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Tryed a few now only use boc 45t https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/boc-s ... taf4550t-p ,fluxed rods,does copper ta copper copper ta stainless and stainless ta stainless very well in my opinion,have used other fluxed rods but they come a very shabby second place to the boc ones.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Diggermandan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Awesome thanx I'll get those ones from boc
Diggermandan

equipment: Building researching new still running t500 ATM

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:57 pm

What ever you use make sure all joins a super clean befor ya start the torch,I allways use a bit off emery paper to clean and slightly roughen the area,then wipe down with metho and go for it with a soft slightly oxidizeing flame(the blue cone just after the end of the tip should not be to small but longer with a slightly feathered edge) took me a shit load of practice to get confident so go slow and gentle,with stainless if you overheat it will oxidise and the brazeing will not stick then you will have ta sand it to fresh metal and try again,so only use enough heat ta get the braze ta run .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby ThePaterPiper » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:05 pm

hillzabilly wrote:What ever you use make sure all joins a super clean befor ya start the torch,I allways use a bit off emery paper to clean and slightly roughen the area,then wipe down with metho and go for it with a soft slightly oxidizeing flame(the blue cone just after the end of the tip should not be to small but longer with a slightly feathered edge) took me a shit load of practice to get confident so go slow and gentle,with stainless if you overheat it will oxidise and the brazeing will not stick then you will have ta sand it to fresh metal and try again,so only use enough heat ta get the braze ta run .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that with Mapp gas Hillzabilly?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Lowie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:46 pm

ThePaterPiper wrote:
hillzabilly wrote:What ever you use make sure all joins a super clean befor ya start the torch,I allways use a bit off emery paper to clean and slightly roughen the area,then wipe down with metho and go for it with a soft slightly oxidizeing flame(the blue cone just after the end of the tip should not be to small but longer with a slightly feathered edge) took me a shit load of practice to get confident so go slow and gentle,with stainless if you overheat it will oxidise and the brazeing will not stick then you will have ta sand it to fresh metal and try again,so only use enough heat ta get the braze ta run .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Is that with Mapp gas Hillzabilly?

He's talking about an oxy set mate. You can use Mapp on copper and s/s but I found Mapp took forever to heat a 4" copper pipe for silver soldering. Anything under that no problems with Mapp. Some guys use a torch kit attached to their BBQ bottle which they reckon works ok too.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Yeh oxy acetalene set mate ,have been able ta get away with mapp on very small jobs but it was a struggle,the benefit of high silver content is a lower melting point and a good free flow without it going crusty like low silver rods,wich can crack and cause havoc with leaks on cooldown,donot quench in water after brazeing just let it cool very slowly .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby bluc » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:29 pm

I have been wondering about that hilzabilly. I always thought higher silver was higher melting point..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:37 pm

It's a pain in the arse, but you can gradually cool the joint by applying heat periodically as it cools to slow the cooling process down if using mapp
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby scythe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:04 am

I kept getting cracking on my RC before i re-did it recently.
Mainly from the small contact area between end plate and vapour tube but also due to cooling down too quickly, vapour tube would cool much faster than the rest of it.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby warramungas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 am

bluc wrote:I have been wondering about that hilzabilly. I always thought higher silver was higher melting point..

Not in my experience. The other way around.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:54 pm

I was under the impression the higher the silver content the better it flows into the joint and why they are more expensive :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby P3T3rPan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Sam. wrote:I was under the impression the higher the silver content the better it flows into the joint and why they are more expensive :-B

Yah . But at a lower temp as well. Which is why it is so useful when doing a compound join such as a condenser end.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby YarraRanges » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:04 pm

I use LP gas with oxygen for brazing stainless to copper. I've found that 45% silver works well for brazing stainless ferrules to copper. To do this you must use Tenacity No.6 flux. It can be bought on order from Blackwoods or BOC for around $80.
Tri-clamps are made from Austenitic stainless steel. Austenitic stainless steels are non-magnetic. The Austenitic steels are based on the 18% chromium 8% nickel composition although the chromium addition can vary from 15-22% and the nickel from 6-11%. Austenitic steels if heated between 55O °C and 750 °C will precipitate complex Chromium Carbide which makes standard fluxes useless and the silver braze won't stick. Tenacity No.6 can cope with this.
The only problem is that you need caustic soda or mechanical means to remove the residue after it has cooled.
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:41 pm

YarraRanges wrote:I use LP gas with oxygen for brazing stainless to copper. I've found that 45% silver works well for brazing stainless ferrules to copper. To do this you must use Tenacity No.6 flux. It can be bought on order from Blackwoods or BOC for around $80.
Tri-clamps are made from Austenitic stainless steel. Austenitic stainless steels are non-magnetic. The Austenitic steels are based on the 18% chromium 8% nickel composition although the chromium addition can vary from 15-22% and the nickel from 6-11%. Austenitic steels if heated between 55O °C and 750 °C will precipitate complex Chromium Carbide which makes standard fluxes useless and the silver braze won't stick. Tenacity No.6 can cope with this.
The only problem is that you need caustic soda or mechanical means to remove the residue after it has cooled.

Firstly a post in the welcome section would be awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Secondly, are you saying Austenitic as a fancy version of 300 series grade stainless? :think:

Wouldn't build a still out of anything less than 304 personally ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby YarraRanges » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Sam. wrote:
Firstly a post in the welcome section would be awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Secondly, are you saying Austenitic as a fancy version of 300 series grade stainless? :think:

Wouldn't build a still out of anything less than 304 personally ;-)

There are 2 main types of structure in SS. Austenitic and Martensitic, it depends on the tempering process when it is made.

I was talking about brazing SS ferrules to copper tubes. I'm fairly sure that they are 304 and are definitely Austenitic as the Chromium Carbide certainly clogs up conventional flux. Since using Tenacity No.6 flux I've had no problems brazing stainless to stainless and copper to stainless. $80 for a small pot seems expensive but I've been using it for years. It goes a long way.
I'm now off to the welcome section. :)
YarraRanges

equipment: 14 plate bubbler

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench