Hot Devil oxy set

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Hot Devil oxy set

Postby Lowie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi Guys,
Here's a tip for young players...
If you're hard (silver) soldering anything 4" or over then you're going to need oxy as mapp gas won't cut it (or it will take forever). I bought one of these Hot Devil kits from here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOT-DEVIL-PO ... SwoydWi6CW
Expecting the oxygen to last longer than 10 minutes...replacement bottles are $35. Catch with these bottles is they are only 40 grams. Oxy bottles at Bunno's are 900 and cost around $58. Problem is, Bunno's bottles don't fit the Hot Devil regulator (they are a larger left hand thread job is) so you're going to need one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DISPOSABLE-G ... 2a69c74309. Make sure you get this particular reg with the choice of two hose fittings as you're going to need to cut the Hot Devil regulator off and replace it with this one. Mapp gas that comes with the kit isn't an issue. I found all this out the hard way... :angry-banghead: Alternatively you can buy much more expensive disposable kits!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Re: Hot Devil oxy set

Postby coffe addict » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:23 pm

I use a LPG torch to silver solder 4in with ease. The 9kg bottle lasted 90% of the build and cooked have a dozen bbq's :happy-partydance:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby EziTasting » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Thank you both for your info!

DOn't know if I'll get the chance to do it myself, but this is good info!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:26 pm

:text-+1: I have been using a 9kg bottle with a lpg head for 4", works a treat. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Onelove » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Coffee and tas, what type of head are you guys using with lpg?

I have the 8.5kg lpg and correct hose from this to a Bernzomatic lpg head but didn't know this would work on 4".

About to start a bubbler build and this might be the final piece of the puzzle.
Onelove

equipment: nearly a bubbler

Postby coffe addict » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:56 pm

Ahhhmmm a one from bunnings... I can take a pic in daylight /sober if I remember or get reminded. I know it's a 25mm tip and you can get smaller tips for fidley bits but I just used wet rags.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:59 am

I remember seeing a few years ago an lpg torch with air from a compressor
Apparently they were quite hot
At the time I had plenty of oxy, acet so didn't bother
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:07 pm

Onelove wrote:Coffee and tas, what type of head are you guys using with lpg?

I have the 8.5kg lpg and correct hose from this to a Bernzomatic lpg head but didn't know this would work on 4".

About to start a bubbler build and this might be the final piece of the puzzle.

I use the trade flame full flame and pencil heads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby coffe addict » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Yep same here trade flame handle and the 25mm head.
coffe addict

Postby Lowie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Fark, this has been an expensive excercise, been through more oxy bottles than Yul Brenner :angry-banghead:. Wish I had known about the lpg option. But I guess that's what a forums for hey :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby prawnz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Yeh , i fell for this set as well . Does the job but the silly little red Oxy cans disappear in moments eh .

What I wish I'd seen before I got going was the lead free soft soldering thread . Simple , cheap and effective . Ah well lesson learnt .
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby azzman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 pm

i thought you were using the bunnings bottles Lowie, have you used more than one?
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Postby Kenster » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm

so coffee & Tas, you guys use a 25mm head for the 4''? This is quite a big tip, so this is the secret to bigger area/ coverage and success? Do you do just straight copper or ss also.
I had all sorts of trouble with 3'' and Mapp. ended up just soft soldering, just couldnt get enough heat to the silver. Do u need to get the area RED hot for it to flow.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby scythe » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 am

Soft solder no.
Hard solder/brazing yes.
How hot tho depends on the silver content.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby coffe addict » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 am

Kenster yes the 25mm head and it's pretty easy to get 4in flowing well. Sometimes you might need a wet rag if you have two separate joins next to each other. Only needed this once on the hard silver solder, many times when using soft.
As for red hot yes essentially, you will soon pick the colour. After a half dozen goes you just see when it's hot enough.
I found it really easy making the pc and rc by using hard silver solder on the internals and soft on the end caps as there was no chance of undoing the insides.
coffe addict

Postby Lowie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:26 am

azzman wrote:i thought you were using the bunnings bottles Lowie, have you used more than one?

Yep, 3... :handgestures-thumbdown:
Lowie

Postby azzman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Lowie wrote:
azzman wrote:i thought you were using the bunnings bottles Lowie, have you used more than one?

Yep, 3... :handgestures-thumbdown:

pre heat with a propane torch, then hit it with the oxy to finish it. thats what i would do to save on oxy. propane bbq bottles i mean :handgestures-thumbupleft:
azzman

equipment: ;) few bits and bobs

Return to Tips From The Workbench