Buying Copper in Adelaide

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Buying Copper in Adelaide

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Where do we buy scrap copper from in Adelaide? Everyone seems happy to buy it, but nobody wants to sell me any...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Re: Buying Copper in Adelaide

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:03 pm

As I've told ya before mate, the Murray Bridge recycling place at the back of the industrial area. Anyway what pipe do you need as I do have a nice stash but I do need to get more 1/4" for making easy flanges which has stopped me in my tracks from going any further.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I don't particularly need anything right now, but I wouldn't mind finding somewhere that I can call in on regularly to see if there's any cool bits I might need.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:37 pm

Well mate I do have some 3", 2" and a nice length of 1-1/4" here and several rolls of 1/2", also I can scrounge short bits easily and my next buy will be a handful of 15% Silver Solder rods :teasing-neener: .

Come for a drive up on the weekend if you want mate as on Sunday a CFW wash will be bubbling away.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Flowerpot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:51 pm

A local scrappy would be nice but they all seem to have gone OHS. BTW also just noticed this on gumtree. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/flagsta ... 1124464733
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Postby woodduck » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:00 am

Yer it's getting hard to scrounge now days. No one will let you look around and none of them want to show what they have, I'm guessing their worried your scoping the joint to come back and knock it off later. I also deal with the bloke in murray bridge and he understands our passion for copper "art" :))
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Lowie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:42 am

Flowerpot wrote:A local scrappy would be nice but they all seem to have gone OHS. BTW also just noticed this on gumtree. https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/flagsta ... 1124464733

I need some 1" for my parrot if anyone that lives down that side of the world wants to buy a full length and chop me off a bit. Alternatively, I've found SAMIOS plumbing supplies on Research Rd Pooraka have reasonable prices for new stuff but only sell by the metre minimum. They also stock 1/4" by the meter.
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Flowerpot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Lowie, the stainless tube on a keg spear works great as part of a parrot.
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Postby Lowie » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Flowerpot wrote:Lowie, the stainless tube on a keg spear works great as part of a parrot.

Thanks mate, I'll check it out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby Swedish Pride » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Flowerpot wrote:Lowie, the stainless tube on a keg spear works great as part of a parrot.

also it's great to make a whiskey thief out of, perfect for those who age in demijohns
Swedish Pride

equipment: Pot on keg
6" rat rod column

Return to Tips From The Workbench