Polishing stainless steel keg

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Polishing stainless steel keg

Postby davesims » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi all

I was wondering what is the best way to polish a stainless keg, that is new so does not have scratches and scuffs and stuff..

Have any of you come across Gator Grit polishing pads and if so do you know anywhere in Oz i can get them or an equivalent ? check out the attached vid they seem t work really well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeGWbTxMdMc
davesims

equipment: T500 copper and the usual noobie bits and pieces

Re: Polishing stainless steel keg

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:31 pm

I haven't heard of them but if you searched on google im sure you could find a distributor.
Most use a josco brand from bunnings, if you use the search function here you'll find a bunch of answers to polishing kegs.
Trust me, doing a good search before posting a question will save you time and give you the answers you need.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Cheersbigears » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 am

Shiny.JPG
Here is what I did one was very old looking and the other not so much. I gave all welds a good SS wire brush and than got a Black and Decker electric variable speed buff from super cheap $139 and got a Velcro pad for it as well and some 400 grit sand paper I think it was but what ever was the lowest grade they had to get the nicks and sharp edges under control. As well scotch pads for it the scotch grey and purple worked the best. One of them are the same grit anyway but left less marks and the other I think is about 800 grit. With the pads I used a little all metal polish as well. Than got a black foam pad with the polish and wash it clean every lap around. All up buff, pads. polish etc cost around $210 so not to bad I think. There is the basic stuff I did but if you go and ask around how to polish your SS fuel tank etc you will be lead in the right direction. I could have kept going but that is shiny enough for me at least til I got some free time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 am

Electro Polishing but it seems you need quit a few dollars to get started with stainless you need the coating on the surface to protect and if you start scouring may not be best results in the long term.
wynnum1

Postby Cheersbigears » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 am

Yeah it will take a long time but you can polish it again or improve or up grade in a few years :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Return to Tips From The Workbench