Advice on Leibig build.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Advice on Leibig build.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi again,

Hope this is the right location for this question, but will it help when building a Liebig condenser to solder baffles inside the water jacket to create turbulence in the coolant or is it a waste of time? The condenser is 700mm long, 12mm copper tube with 25mm outer tube.

It will either be run directly off a gas heated 50l keg pot with 2in column, or after a 19l thumper keg.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Advice on Leibig build.

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Some people me included crimp the inner pipe :handgestures-thumbupleft: heres m u build here http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9239&hilit=First+build
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 pm

More expensive laboratory glass condensers have baffles in them to improve efficiency, as you said for turbulent flow, which is better than laminar flow.

I've got baffles in my RC and PC... They're the extra bits of solder that dribbled down the tubes due to my dodgy soldering skills. :doh:

Whether or not you get laminar flow will depend on the smoothness of the surfaces inside the condenser and the flow rate. Faster flow rates cause turbulent flow.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:51 pm

Great. Thanks. Didn't think about crimping, but I have got offcuts that will be easy enough to solder onto the inner tube. Can't hurt I guess. Thanks for the input guys.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby jaypes » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:12 pm

I have mine crimped in a spiral pattern to add turbulence, buggered if i know if it actually works better or worse!
jaypes

equipment: 2" Potty

Postby Fishleg » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:54 pm

db1979 wrote:More expensive laboratory glass condensers have baffles in them to improve efficiency, as you said for turbulent flow, which is better than laminar flow.

I've got baffles in my RC and PC... They're the extra bits of solder that dribbled down the tubes due to my dodgy soldering skills. :doh:

Whether or not you get laminar flow will depend on the smoothness of the surfaces inside the condenser and the flow rate. Faster flow rates cause turbulent flow.

I also have employed this precision design of solder blobs in my condensers :laughing-rolling:
The first one I made also has loose bits that didn't stick to anything when they fell thru which I like to think adds some turbulence. When you turn it upside down it sounds like a rain stick :laughing-rolling:

Seriously though the other thing you can do is have your inlet and outlet on opposite sides
Fishleg

equipment: FSD neutraliser with 85 litre keg boiler

Return to Tips From The Workbench