Using Soft Solder Only

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Using Soft Solder Only

Postby googe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:21 am

Well, gave it a go thismorning, coldnt wait for the weekend ha. I think its just as easy as copper to copper, little more care like mcstill said. Impressed with the strength too. Penatration seemed good. I just used the bernzomatic torch and solder kit from bunnings. Thanks for the info Macstill. I didnt end up reading the entire thread, dont tell him i told you hehe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 am

Looks nice mate.
Well done on your newly aquired "master welder" status.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks mate, not sure about masterwelder :))
googe

Postby MacStill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

googe wrote:Thanks mate, not sure about masterwelder :))

It looks like shit, you should melt it off and start again :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:13 pm

McStill wrote:

Thank you :D
googe

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Had a bit of a soldering breakthrough in the last few weeks. So i thought I"d give my advice for the greater good of all newbs. I'm not as talented as some guys here I've been through the stress of stuffing it up and throwing hot copper at the wall (reminder dont drink while building it causes you more hassles). First things first it is piss easy to solder. But like anything in life it takes a bit of practice to master. If somethings not working then try heating at a different angle or direct the heat to a different area heat play around with it, its soft solder easy to clean of if you stuff it. Trial and error really is a good way to suss this skill. I would keep trying the same thing and getting the same result and wondering why. My fridgy mate did some joins for me and made me look stupid because he has years of trial and error and knows where to heat certain joins. I found heating the outside area then directing the heat into where you want works better than just blasting the joint full bore. Might be obvious but it wasn't at the time :angry-banghead: Like Mcstill said use a LOW flame. Took me ages to realise how little heat you really need to soft solder. Last thing is you shouldnt use shit all solder. I was wasting shitloads blasting it if your using heaps and its not sticking then turn your flame down and try again. If ya heat it right it will suck into the joint perfectly not leave a big weak bulb on top of the join. Anyway everything thats been said here is probably more helpful than this but i thought i'd give a bit of advice from someone who'd struggled to do this. If first you don't succeed try, try, try again. Happy stilling.
ticknaylor

Postby caveman » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 pm

ticknaylor wrote: If first you don't succeed try, try, try again. Happy stilling.

hey mate you no what they say ,practice makes perfect all aside its good to see improvements every time you do sum welding
heat distibution is the key with soldering im sure your on the way to mastering the art :handgestures-thumbupleft:
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby googe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:49 am

googe wrote:
McStill wrote:

Thank you :D

Oi, cheeky bastard putting words in my mouth L-) :))
googe

Postby googe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:19 am

Was soldering away in the shed today and looked at a couple of stainless nuts and thought hmmm, i gave it a go. It soldered and felt pretty good at first till i swung on it a bit and snap, it looked like the flux had not done its job, was dry and patchy looking inside. Anyone else tried it?.

Cheers
googe

Postby MacStill » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:02 am

what flux were you using?

did you rough up the SS before you soldered it?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:22 am

Used the bernzomatic stuff and this stuff i got from work, silver solder, cant read the label anymore but its spose to be top tuff. I did give it a good scuff with a file, had some good grooves in it. Might have been the type of stainless too, want to try it on some lower grade pipe and see what happens.
googe

Postby googe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Ive been using the Aquasafe stuff from bunnings, shits all over the bernzomatic. Slides nice and easy into the joins were as the bernzomatic stuff needs alot more heat to do the same, thats what ive noticed anyway.
googe

Postby Camikaze » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:56 pm

I used the bernzo flux/solder on a couple of Cu - SS joins today. Used a bit more solder than I thought but oh well, will look sweet after a clean up with a file and emery. This is a 2" x 8" triclamp spool with a 1" x 8" coldfinger inside. To stop the other joins on the colfinger from desoldering, I filled the bugger with water. Worked a treat.

Solder.jpg

The coldfinger is wrapped with structured copper mesh from Amphora. I bought 3 pounds of it. ;-)

Coldfinger1.jpg

This is the shitty $20 Egay torch I used. I couldn't beleive how little a flame I really needed.

torch.jpg

And here's how it looks on the lamb cannon. Just need to trim the lines. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Lamb cannon.jpg

Thanks guys.

Cam :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Using Soft Solder Only

Postby Sam. » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Yeah that copper from amphora is good shit!

All looking good there mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Nice looking still mate, coming along well :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Wheres your build thread btw? ;-)
googe

Postby Camikaze » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks guys.

Build thread coming soon. :D
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Kimbo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Good looking weld there mate, keep the pics coming :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby emptyglass » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:11 pm

googe wrote:Was soldering away in the shed today and looked at a couple of stainless nuts and thought hmmm, i gave it a go. It soldered and felt pretty good at first till i swung on it a bit and snap, it looked like the flux had not done its job, was dry and patchy looking inside. Anyone else tried it?.

Cheers

Thats a job for silver/hard solder. Just to poke the sleeping dog.

We are not making ramps for NASA's space shuttle, mate.

:teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:
emptyglass

Postby googe » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:32 am

Well, if Nasa has a blowout i wont be helping :snooty: :teasing-neener:
googe

Postby bt1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 am

Ah shit!

I new I'd buggered something up...I'll cancel the order for the 2 x solid fuel rockets.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench