Using Soft Solder Only

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Using Soft Solder Only

Postby crow » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Apart from the massive price difference whats the difference between lead free electrical solder and lead free plumbing solder sales ppl don't even seem to know
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Id only be guessing but I would think one has been proved to be safe/approved to use in applications where the solder will be in contact with substances destined for human consumption. The other hasnt.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby devotus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Is the chem equation the same on each packet?

weights and ratios of materials?
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby devotus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Found this chart after a quick googling, the last one describes elec solder. I also found another link which may be better;

HERE http://www.maycoindustries.com/solders.htm

Lead Free
Typical alloys consist of either tin, copper, bismuth and silver, or tin and antimony
Use on pipes carrying drinking water

Must be used with external flux
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leaded Solid Wire
Typical alloy consists or tin and lead
Use for sheet metal repair, copper drain lines, etc.

Must be used with external flux

May be used for soldering or brazing

Not for use with potable water applications
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acid Core Wire
Typical alloy consists of tin and lead or tin and antimony

General purpose solder for repairing galvanized gutters, filling metal seams, etc.

Does not require external flux application

Rosin Core Wire
Typical alloy consists of tin and lead or tin and antimony
Use for electrical applications, including wiring and other fine electronic work such as printed circuit boards

Does not require external flux application

devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby crow » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:41 pm

yeah ok I'm guessing its the antimony leavels that make it unsafe. WARNING This shit is bad news you,d be better off with lead, probably have to be using mercury to find something more toxic :-o (poisoning of 6mg causes death in 3 days) :-s Thinking maybe someone could post something about using high levels of antimony in the safety section pointing out levels of it in lead free electrical solder and PET plastic
Last edited by crow on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:29 pm

This may be gettin a bit :text-offtopic: so mods move if necessary. Is there anyway to tell if something has been soldered using lead?

If you buy something is there anyway to tell if there are nasties in the joins?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby maheel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:09 pm

paint lead test stick should give you an indication

http://www.masterpainters.com.au/leadpainttestkits.html

sam_and_liv wrote:T Is there anyway to tell if something has been soldered using lead?

If you buy something is there anyway to tell if there are nasties in the joins?
maheel

Using Soft Solder Only

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:22 am

Ah ha thanks for that
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby 8-ball » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 pm

hey Mac how do you solder the stainless to copper i had a go just before and made a hell of a mess if it and used a heap of solder in the process :angry-banghead: where do you put the heat ect
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Heat the copper and use the solder to cool the SS using as little heat as possible to get the solder flowing :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Once you've got the solder on the join brush the join with flux again & melt the solder slightly as you move around the join, you'll notice the solder smooths out and travels a little further on both surfaces.... give it a good rinse, a wipe with a flannel cloth and your done.

It's a bit tedious but the end result is great :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 pm

So do you pre brush the joint with flux before you start?
The reason I ask is when I bought the tricover they gave me the whole union so I thought best I make another adapter just for my reflux column and then I wont have to disturb those joints to offten
crow

Postby MacStill » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:51 pm

croweater wrote:So do you pre brush the joint with flux before you start?

Yep!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby dogbreath vodka » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Hey Mc
Change that bloody avatar, I end up mezmerised..... and forget what I was reading :D :D
HMmmmm "Hey Honey - got a job for you" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

TAF
the distracted perv
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby Sam. » Wed May 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Ok just bought a stick of soft solder from bunnings, all it says is 50/50. Can I assume that is 50% Tin and 50% something else?

The douchebag also sold me a roll of resin cored solder and told me "nah we wouldn't sell anything with lead in it". On closer inspection at home its got Lead in it :violence-stickwhack:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby MacStill » Wed May 02, 2012 7:37 pm

My bet is the 50/50 would be tin and lead ;-)

You want the silver bearing solder like this

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/SOLDERACCESSORIES/PLUMBINGSOLDER/tabid/213/ctl/Detail/mid/1146/xmid/6903/xmfid/3/Default.aspx

MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Wed May 02, 2012 8:03 pm

McStill wrote:My bet is the 50/50 would be tin and lead ;-)

You want the silver bearing solder like this

http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/SOLDERACCESSORIES/PLUMBINGSOLDER/tabid/213/ctl/Detail/mid/1146/xmid/6903/xmfid/3/Default.aspx

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK IIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Well no soldering for me tonight. :handgestures-thumbdown:

Thanks Mac
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Wed May 02, 2012 8:25 pm

yeah some of those dudes in bunnings its either they don't know and won't admit it or DILLIGAF I keep going there and I keep saying to myself why the fuck do I come back here : not helpful not cheap and might have a lot of crap but but one or 2 types/brands of each thing max. Nearly always walk out with one of 10 things I need and still have to go all over town , end up seeing the one thing I got for 20% less :angry-banghead: PS got fed alot of bullshit about what I need and what i can and can't do with soft solder
crow

Postby Sam. » Wed May 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Yeah it's definitely frustrating CE.

Mac, where do you buy that solder? From an actual plumbing store or just a hardware store?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby maheel » Wed May 02, 2012 8:40 pm

bunnings do have (in some stores) sticks of lead free in the copper pipe / fittings area

just make sure it has the lead free label and some teenage stock person has not mixed them up with the 50/50.....
likely to be aquasafe 100 from consolidated alloys

some have the rolls as well of aquasafe @ 250g for about $40

or in the tool area they have the benzo stuff mcstill linked to
maheel

Postby MacStill » Wed May 02, 2012 8:48 pm

maheel wrote:bunnings do have (in some stores) sticks of lead free in the copper pipe / fittings area

They're brazing rods, just to save any confusion ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench