Using Soft Solder Only

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Using Soft Solder Only

Postby Hill » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Anyone in Perth looking for Ezi Weld 801, I just picked up a bottle from Reece Plumbing, 24 William Street Cannington and they had about 4 bottles there.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby crow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 pm

So friggen excited I near wet myself check this ladies and gentleman and the rest of you not pretty but this is my first go at it and it doesn't leak and it took me less that 5 min :dance: :happy-partydance: :banana-guitar:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Well, seems all that parrot build was bull shit :teasing-tease: awesome job mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:41 pm

not sure what good a keg coupler is when its blocked off with copper and sitting on a wooden bench :laughing-rolling: but least you got a strike of luck
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby MacStill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Hey crow, now you've succeeded you know it's only down hill from here hey :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Must've been listening to me drumming ya over the phone hey, low heat, small flame... gently does it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:35 pm

McStill wrote:Hey crow, now you've succeeded you know it's only down hill from here hey :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Must've been listening to me drumming ya over the phone hey, low heat, small flame... gently does it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

yep low heat 2/3s on the copper 1/3 on ss ;-)
Now if I can just get copper to copper down pat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:36 pm

McStill wrote:, low heat, small flame... gently does it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yerp, Johnny Cash will do that to ya ;-)
well done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:37 pm

I am so proud of you :romance-kisscheek:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Kimbo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm

McStill wrote:I am so proud of you :romance-kisscheek:

there's no prouder moment than seeing a boy become a man :scared-eek:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Linny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:11 pm

has anyone got a link to these $20 butane torches ... i need to get a new one , as the one i was using was my next door neighbours ,,,, found out today im moving ;(
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby home_brewer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:14 pm

if your taking about the bernzomatic ones bunnings is the go
home_brewer

equipment: 2in pot
in progress
2"vm
4" bubbler
bigger boiler maby 80l

Postby Linny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby googe » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 am

Liek this Linny, bunnings have the short fat ones too. http://www.bernzomatic.com/item.html?id=47 your lucky, i got told i was lazy for not reading this whole thread tut tut :teasing-tease:
googe

Postby ticknaylor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Called consolidated alloys today they wont sell me aquasafe 100 they said I had to go to bunnings, pretty sure bunnings haven't had the shit since I built my boka last year sounds like a conspiracy to sell more of the expensive benzo stuff, don't get me wrong its good stuff but its expensive as. Went to bunnings they had a label for 250g aquasafe for 9.85 I thought sweet so I pick it up and the morons had put lead solder next to the aquasafe price tag I wonder how many people have been using lead solder thinking it was aquasafe. Anyway trying to source some in perth and can't find any. To all the people using the benzo bottles consider these http://www.bunnings.com.au/products_pro ... e=products they can be refilled for 10years and cost $4 to be refilled at BCF the other benzomatic bottles are chuck away bottles and cost $20 each so if you use a few bottles the pay for them self pretty quick. After 10 years you can get them recertified for $25. However they do have a female fitting for the torch tip that is smaller then the male fitting on the benzo ones. I used on before I started using the 9.5kg bottles with a reg
ticknaylor

Postby blond.chap » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Hey mate, one of the bunnings stores near me has aquasafe 100 near the brass fittings. I've been to one that didn't have it though. You could ask the bunnings near you to check other stores nearby.

Cheers for the cylinder tip btw, will totally pick one up next time.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby MacStill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Yeah you gotta look for the aquasafe stuff, they hide it amongst the lead solder in the plumbing section.... the bernzo stuff they get big profit from is the stuff they put in your face where all the welding and soldering shit is.

Kinda like chocolates at the checkout in woolies :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:14 pm

Yeah went to another bunnings and got some $37 for 500g as someone else said earlier. Right alongside the lead solder the mind boggles how they can put this stuff in the plumbing section. Hey blond chap the primus bottles need a different fitting they sell them in bunnings I don't know how much they are coz I already had one so factor that in before ya get one totally worth it though if ya do a bit of soldering.
ticknaylor

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:26 pm

maybe its in the plumbing section as its plumbing solder :laughing-rolling: I think they put the benzomatic solder with the torches as some people think you HAVE! to use the same brand solder and crap as the torch is and also its prob dearer so they make more money on it 8-} I have yet to get some aquasafe stuff as I still using the benzomatic stuff. I dont like there flux to much seems very easy to burn on very tight places and some times burns up before the solder melts. As mac says go very slow but the torch I have on a angle the flame doubles :wtf: and if I turn it down it turns off :))

Will try get some easyweld flux (what ever its called) and try the aquasafe solder as seems to be the most popular combo.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby ticknaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Has anyone sussed a method to easy flange using only soft solder and not hard solder the ring? i know soft softer with cause the join in the ring to break. My old boy gave up his oxy because he was pissed at boc making him pay 135 a year bottle hire. I been trying to solder first than hammer flat afterwards with mixed success. Just thought I see if anyone has be successful using a different method
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Do you have mapp gas?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench