removing the spear and circlip 50lt keg

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: removing the spear and circlip 50lt keg

Postby gavogr » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Got my keg delivered the other day and just took the spear out. Couldn't find a small enough drill bit so just used the Small screwdriver and hammer trick.
Had it out in under 3 min. Thanks for the video they helped heaps.
Now just to clean the inside, and work out what i need welded to it to get it going.
Cheers
gavogr

equipment: Modified 30 lt SS reflux still with a 1.2m Copper Head and DIY Heat control box.

Postby rookiepunk » Sun May 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, have 2 kegs the first one got out no problems the second one was a bit tight so it required a bit of levering.

Thanks again
rookiepunk

equipment: Candy's twin sister :) 2 x 50 litre keg boilers and a 2 and a half inch boka.

Postby rookiepunk » Sat May 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Just removed 5 more spears and this is the best way to remove them. Thanks JayD Really appreciate the help.

You really need to invest in a good quality screw driver otherwise they will just snap the tips off.
rookiepunk

equipment: Candy's twin sister :) 2 x 50 litre keg boilers and a 2 and a half inch boka.

Postby emptyglass » Sun May 19, 2013 12:39 am

$10 screwdriver, V's a big dollar boiler that makes you hooch a $38 a bottle.
I know who wins. After the first bottle :handgestures-thumbupleft:
emptyglass

Postby 1 2many » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:50 pm

Today I had a go at removing the circlip in my keg using the drill method only to beak 12 bits ,I do admit though they were not the sharpest tool in the shed :)) made a small indentation that was it and i only just had a slight grip with heaps of down pressure using a scribe as the hook tool but it kept slipping off and as a result stabbed my self twice penty f bombs flying around :angry-banghead: thought fuck it time for a frothy 1/2 way though I thought might try the dremal with a cutting disk and so put on a little black disk and made a small cut just near the end perfect for a small screwdriver, and it worked a treat . 1st tap with hand and it pushed in so i could put another screwdriver behind to lift the clip out.
Spear out within 20 seconds after cut. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

But i never tried JayD's screw driver trick i think that is the way i will go next time cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:23 pm

A nice sharp centre punch will pop them out easy
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby JayD » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:37 pm

We all find our own way to do something... you should have seen me getting to how I removed the spear with a screwdriver and hammer..tools flying over my shoulder untill my trusty screwdriver and hammer came into my sight, then it was all over before it started... :teasing-tease:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:02 pm

then it was all over before it started...

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Reminds me of a song by Kev :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby snapperhead » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:19 am

I used a sharp centre punch and hammer, first hit and the circlip popped out enough to fit a screwdriver under and it was out. No damage to the lip and seemed quite easy. Just need to figure a use for it now.
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

removing the spear and circlip 50lt keg

Postby Dominator » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 am

I got my keg off a member on the forum and he had already removed the spear for me. That's the real easy way. :laughing-rolling:
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby JayD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:13 am

Dominator wrote:I got my keg off a member on the forum and he had already removed the spear for me. That's the real easy way. :laughing-rolling:

yep that would be the easiest way to do it...hidden costs ? petrol, wear n tear on your car...and some appreciation. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby Rosolinni » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi Guys, I book marked this thread for when my keg arrived and I just took delivery.

Watching the vids this keg (it's got innspire craft beer merchants lable on it) looks different to the ones on the vids :?

There isn't a clip under the spear in this photo it's like this all around, it's looks like it may be screwed in. Has anyone came across these types of keg or am I missing something?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosolinni

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler
FSD 4 Bubble plate still with packing section

Postby vsboost » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:56 pm

That looks like a screw type spear, just use a flat screwdriver and a hammer and tap on the side of those tabs (anticlockwise) and it should just unscrew.

Edit: Make sure you release any pressure in the keg first, by pushing down on the ball valve with the screwdriver, keep your head away from it just in case.
vsboost

equipment: Pot Still, 2" Boka

Postby Rosolinni » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm

I just got told it was an S type that similar to CUB but a bit different, I carry on beltin away
Rosolinni

Postby crow » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

make very sure you release the pressure first or that bug might smack your teeth out
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Rosolinni » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Thanks for that I've got the tube and spring out but nows really the hard bit, the Lug, I think it's called, any ideas on getting this bugger out? I think I have to unscrew it some how?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rosolinni

Postby JayD » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:14 pm

watch my vid again, then try some hot water around the top as it gums up and a slight tap with a screw driver and hammer, it should move around little bit then prize up under the tabs using your screw driver... :handgestures-thumbupleft: try this.
JayD

Postby Rosolinni » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:13 pm

JayD wrote:watch my vid again, then try some hot water around the top as it gums up and a slight tap with a screw driver and hammer, it should move around little bit then prize up under the tabs using your screw driver... :handgestures-thumbupleft: try this.

Cheers Mate will give it a shot.
Rosolinni

Postby MoonShine Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 pm

Yes they do make screw in spears! You do not see them to often but yes they are out there. I have read posts where they took that spear and flip it to make the column. Rather a bit small for a column but it would work and seal nice with the keg.
MoonShine Guy

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby drunkmore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:43 pm

I know I'm probably too late but those square lugs on the inside lip look like your key. Find a wide bit of flat steel just narrow enough to fit and us it like a screwdriver. If you have ever opened a 40 gallon drum you will know what I mean.
Any thing with two flat sides would do, try the biggest shifter you've got but us the outside of it instead of the inside.
Good luck
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench