Amphora mesh packing - how I did it.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Amphora mesh packing - how I did it.

Postby Camikaze » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Gday all,

Just finished sorting the column packing for the lamb cannon. My goals with this still are light, crisp scotch-types and rums whilst having the modular ability to tune/detune for heavier whiskies and fuller-bodied rums.

Here's part of that tunability.

I purchased 3 lb of mesh from Amphora. $15 per pound and around $30 delivery. Ouch. :o

The 4" section on the lamb cannon is approx 20" long. Thats the roll sitting on top of the keg.

Lamb cannon.jpg

What I did first was to roll up smaller, individual rolls of mesh first. Here they are.

SCM.jpg

Now, the cool thing about this mesh is the fact that is is pretty much a rolled, flat 'tube' of mesh when packaged. Similar to a copper stocking. What I did with the individual rolls of mesh was to stuff them inside a length of the mesh tubing. To begin with, the rolls were individually tied with an unravelled copper thread, however, they still seemed pretty messy and looked like they would fall apart.

SCM2.jpg

Once the rolls were stuffed into the mesh tube, I tied them off, rather easily in fact. Careful though, this stuff shreds your fingers if you regularly use the Palmolive dish detergent. :-D

Each roll slides into the 4" with just a hint of friction. Beautiful. Four rolls fit nicely, all five rolls makes a nice, tight packing that I can still blow through. I ended up with approx 6ft of mesh left over. Wrapped it in glad wrap and stored it in the shed. Here's the finished rolls.

SCM Rolls finished.jpg

I now can tune the required amount packing for the targeted end product. :D

Hope this all helps.

Cam. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Re: Amphora mesh packing - how I did it.

Postby Camikaze » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Okay, for some reason I cannot edit the above post.

The 4" column length is 26", not 20" as I first mentioned. Thought it might be necessary to point that out for those measuring up their own column packing needs.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cam
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Looks the goods mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Camikaze » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Cheers S&L. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Slowly getting there....

Cam
Camikaze

Postby Kimbo » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Well done Camikaze, thanks for sharing that with us mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby smegory » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 am

Looks great, weird question though do you know roughly how long
your roll was before you cut it?? Or even how long your bundles ended
were once you cut them? I'm talking rolled out length. :-D
smegory

equipment: valved reflux still and an original macstill 4 plate ss bubbler

Postby Camikaze » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 am

smegory wrote:Looks great, weird question though do you know roughly how long
your roll was before you cut it?? Or even how long your bundles ended
were once you cut them? I'm talking rolled out length. :-D

Hey smeg ( :)) ) no idea how long the roll was as I bought it by weight. There was a fair bit of mesh though for 3 pounds and I had about 6 ft left over - handy to turbulate my shottie. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I just rolled the bundles until they fit the column properly, not to a given measurement. I rolled one to fit snugly and copied it with the others and they all fit well. Couldn't tell ya how long they were either so here's a dancing ninja banana as consolation. :banana-ninja:
Camikaze

Return to Tips From The Workbench