Another Copper Cleaning Method

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Postby TassieStiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi all,
I was told about another simple method for cleaning copper without nasty chemicals etc. Safe to do bare handed and not a problem with splashes on clothes etc (I think :? )

Mix an amount of citric acid powder (which is used in my TPW recipe) with hot water and place copper into the solution. I left it there for a few hours while I was out doing other things.
I came back and gave it a light rub with steel wool and the picture below is the result. It was only a small part, but it showed the effectiveness of it. The two pieces were identical before the cleanup and the result is remarkable

IMG_1300.jpg

Thanks to Chocaholic for the tip :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Re: Another Copper Cleaning Method

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Yeah there's a million things out there to clean it up and get it sparkling...but I wanna know how the hell to keep it like that. I cleaned mine up and a couple days later it's as dull as again...I wonder what the point is?
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby TassieStiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Once cleaned, you need to lacquer it somehow. Some have sprayed it in hair products, others in a varnish. I haven't found the "way" of lacquering for me yet. I would be interested in ideas from others though :D
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass

Postby Lupus » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Having not polished copper yet, I need to ask, wouldn't the same effect be achieved by using any acidic liquid? After all, the net effect is simply to strip away the oxide layer. So, wouldn't cleaning with vinegar have the same effect if trying to shine up the copper?
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Yeah vinegar, lemon juice, hydrocloric acid, tomato sauce anything acidy
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby TassieStiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:16 pm

Very true. I was just posting a method I was told about that did not include corrosive chemicals such as CLR and others for those who possibly wouldn't want to go down that chemical path. Anything with some acidity would work.
Coke used to clean up those coins nicely when I was younger as well :-D
TassieStiller

Postby invisigoth » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm

TassieStiller wrote:Once cleaned, you need to lacquer it somehow. Some have sprayed it in hair products, others in a varnish. I haven't found the "way" of lacquering for me yet. I would be interested in ideas from others though :D

i don't think hair products would be terribly durable. i'm not sure what lacquer pure distilling uses, but their copper is lacquered. temp isn't likely to go much over 100c so most automotive clears would probably do it, but if you wanted to be sure, there is high temp clear for exhaust systems. i seem to recall that a thread for keeping your copper shiny was mentioned in kiwistillers cleaning run tutorial. :think:

i kinda like the look of brushed copper, so i used an automotive scouring pad to rub the copper in the same direction on my extension tube/parrot.
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 pm

As long as the inside of my stills are clean I couldn't give two fucks what the outside looks like but thats just me....... :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:55 pm

I just got some clear lacquer from bunnings and it works well.
What I found is that moisture in the atmosphere causes the copper to tarnish, so even tho i got my still nice and shiny, I still have some tarnishing occurring under the lacquer, (but much more slowly). I discussed this with Mac once and he suggested doing it again on a really dry day. :doh: Why didn't I think of that :-B
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby skelty » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:22 am

Yep you can get clear lacquer spray...wattyls do one from any good hardwarestore i reckon.
skelty

equipment: IN PROCESS OF MAKING ME FIRST STILL...A POT STILL.....MMMMM BOURBON

Postby Camikaze » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

Well, we've covered hair products.

Might be worth a go.... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

70609011_H.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby crow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:18 pm

As acetone dissolves that shit can't see it working out well for ya :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby crow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:25 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:As long as the inside of my stills are clean I couldn't give two fucks what the outside looks like but thats just me....... :whistle:

Well you is one side in front of me then :)) long as the oxide ain't enough to effect the taste/colour I couldn't give a rats left knacker
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:48 pm

croweater wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:As long as the inside of my stills are clean I couldn't give two fucks what the outside looks like but thats just me....... :whistle:

Well you is one side in front of me then :)) long as the oxide ain't enough to effect the taste/colour I couldn't give a rats left knacker

Touche :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby wolbi74 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Guys,

we used to have a humungous copper covered extraction unit a work and we used Lemon juice and table salt. rub with the soft side of a scourer. works a treat
wolbi74

equipment: Pot Still

Return to Tips From The Workbench