DIY Dryer / Oast

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

DIY Dryer / Oast

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Hey guys, here is another fun and cheap DIY build that I’ve almost finished. I built this dryer specifically for drying malted grain, for the oversupply of chili in the vegetable garden and hopefully for my hop vines around this time next year.

So many ways to do this so not a compete walkthough with all the dimentions etc... Just some pictuers and tips however let me know if you want any specifics.

IMG_1366.JPG

I designed the box to be 350x350x400 so it could be comfortably cut from a 900x1200 sheet of 7mm thick ply (about $15), also used 2 x 2700mm lengths of 18x18mm pine ($3.50 EA) and a few meters of old 42x19mm pine that was laying around. 2 bayonet light sockets, 240V switch panel, 12V switch, fan, switch and socket.

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1372.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

Heat is generated by 2 regular house globes and you can experiment with different globes to find the temperature your after. Testing with 70W and 90W (equivalent) halogen globes the temperature on the middle tray is stable at 40C. You could also try different fan speeds or use a dimming switch and dial instead of the two switches. The dimmers are about $18 at bunnings.

Of course there are so many ways to make a dryer like this and I’m sure there are much better wood working techniques and practices but I hope this gives some ideas for anyone looking to malt their own grain. Post pics if you made something similar!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

equipment: Boka Reflux and some mods in the works.

Re: DIY Dryer / Oast

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:52 pm

IMG_1385.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Phil

Postby bt1 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I really like it!

It a soln to an issue I've been ticking over for weeks...wd looks good.

btw I'm avg with timber do you do flat packs :D

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby 8-ball » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Ive got one simmilar for making biltong with hanging racks to hang the meat on with stainless hooks works well in summer in winter just doesn't seem to cut it
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby Kimbo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:07 pm

Great Tutorial Phil, I might build one myself :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Cheers guys, the test run worked out well. Chilies came out nice, not cooked but well dried. Just stuck some coriander seeds in to see how that goes. Can't wait to do some more malting!

After steeping grain to keep it aerated yet moist while germinating I have seen a 20L plastic bucket tipped on its side with wooden slats glued like in a tumble dryer, this is on a roller system rotating each hour. Just runs on a small and slow turn electric motor but takes the space and hassle out of germinating. I haven't looked into this properly but that may be my next DIY.

A little off topic however I wanted to ask if anyone in Sydney has found a supplier for whole barley? I haven’t had much luck sourcing it so far.
Phil

Postby Sam. » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:39 am

Looks great mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: I imagine this could have many uses :think:

Your tumble dryer for the malt sounds interesting too. Feel free to post some pics and a run down on that as well.

Would be awesome to have a complete DIY kit for malting/drying, definitely something I want to be doing for myself in the future :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:37 am

Yeap tumble dryers work well but finding a study enough bag that will allow the warm air to penetrate is a pain ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:16 am

Would a pillow case work crow? :think:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby crow » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:52 am

That's what Kimbo used, I'm impatient so I used I jute sand bag, hessian would have been better as some rootlets and grain escaped the jute. A cotton flour or sugar sack would do the trick too
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Camikaze » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 am

Nice. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Phil » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:56 pm

With the tumble dryer style using a 20L plastic bucket on its side I was thinking of a hole in the lid maybe 100mm diameter and just a bunch of 8mm holes on the base which would allow air flow and also keep everything inside. Set it on a timer to roll every now and again and squirt if it's drying out.
Phil

Return to Tips From The Workbench