Drilling Stainless Element Holes 32mm

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Drilling Stainless Element Holes 32mm

Postby 1 2many » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:03 pm

WineGlass wrote:It wont harden without carbon in the composition of the metal, 304 and 316 dont harden. 304 is hard as it is
It also has to go through a rapid temp decrease, ie, quenching for hardening to happen, otherwise it will just be tempered.
304 and 316 stainless both tend to crack when quenched. Non ferrous metals behave different to ferrous metals.

Either way, a hole saw made from hard carbon steel will be harder than stainless, therefore, it will cut it.

That said, I just use a packet of ACME portable holes, just like Wile E. Coyote had.
Cant get them from Bunnings, they are special.

Thanks for clearing that up empty ,seems as I have been told some information by an ex co worker that isn't quite right, your
not going to tell me the supplier of those great ACME holes are you. :)) :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Previous

Return to Tips From The Workbench