welding stainless steel ??

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

welding stainless steel ??

Postby still.stilln » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:12 pm

hi all I'm just wondering which is the safest way/method for welding stainless steel for a reflux still ?? can I just use a normal mig welder with normal wire and gas ??
still.stilln

equipment: home made 2inch copper reflux/pot still, 30ltr electric boiler

Re: welding stainless steel ??

Postby MacStill » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:19 pm

Sure you can, just dont go too hot with it..... TIG is the choice of most who like exposed welds and neat appearance ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Camikaze » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:22 pm

As Mac said, TIG is the ducks nuts for staino welding. Especially the thin stuff.

MIG is awesome. Use argon so it don't corrode.

I used ARC. Worked well too. Bit more grinding for a neat finish though. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

EDIT: normal mig wire (mild steel) will promote the loss of the staino properties too I would think. :think:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby JayD » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Tig, mig, or mma using S/S rods, all will give a nice finished weld if you are proficient. What do you have at hand ? can you weld? I use s/s rods I purchased off fleabay to weld my kegs. Do not weld S/S with ordinary mig wire, it will weld on s/s but you will loose the physical properties of s/s and it will rust...mind you s/s welded correctly once pacified also rusts once but you can not see it. Hope this helps rather than confuse you.

J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby still.stilln » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:15 am

thanks everyone for the helpful input much appreciated, not confusing at all jayD cheers, there's a mig welder and stick welder at me work iv got a mate there that's a good welder, so I might just get some s/s rods for the stick rather then buying a whole new roll of wire for the mig
still.stilln

Postby Camikaze » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 am

Stick welder will do a good job mate. Just get him to pickle the welds afterwards with acetone on a rag.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Linny » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:18 am

with the rods , use the thinner rods ,,, less than 3mm ,,, less chance of blowing ... though im not a boiler , just what my boiler was saying to me
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby JayD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:26 am

Linny wrote:with the rods , use the thinner rods ,,, less than 3mm ,,, less chance of blowing ... though im not a boiler , just what my boiler was saying to me

good advice Linny, 2mm are the size I use.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby still.stilln » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:00 pm

yeah no worries thanx again fellas
still.stilln

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Has anybody tried welding s/steel with a DC stick welder , they seem to have less spatter i think. :think:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 pm

1 2many wrote:Has anybody tried welding s/steel with a DC stick welder , they seem to have less spatter i think. :think:

Yep dc stick probley the best
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby JayD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 pm

1 2many wrote:Has anybody tried welding s/steel with a DC stick welder , they seem to have less spatter i think. :think:

you generally use what you have at hand...if you have a dc welder give it go and see how it turns out... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Yeah might have bit of a play tomorow, Also is pacifying the same as pickling.

Thanks fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby JayD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:43 pm

1 2many wrote:Yeah might have bit of a play tomorow, Also is pacifying the same as pickling.

a little read that well worth the time for the insight it gives 3mins max... straight from the horses mouth
JayD

Postby 1 2many » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:09 pm

JayD wrote:
1 2many wrote:Yeah might have bit of a play tomorow, Also is pacifying the same as pickling.

a little read that well worth the time for the insight it gives 3mins max... straight from the horses mouth

Thanks mate , started reading got halfway through and suffered memory loss :teasing-tease:

Will try again tomorrow . :)) :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:29 pm

JayD wrote:Tig, mig, or mma using S/S rods, all will give a nice finished weld if you are proficient. What do you have at hand ? can you weld? I use s/s rods I purchased off fleabay to weld my kegs. Do not weld S/S with ordinary mig wire, it will weld on s/s but you will loose the physical properties of s/s and it will rust...mind you s/s welded correctly once pacified also rusts once but you can not see it. Hope this helps rather than confuse you.

J

Hey Jay what grade stainless rods did you get off fleabay I'm gunna attempt arc welding ferrules on soon. Thanks
ticknaylor

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:48 pm

I think you will find most rods are 316
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby bayshine » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:11 pm

an easy way to pickle or pacify your staino welds is to give a good wire brush, with a new staino brush, and then put some citric acid on them :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby JayD » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:33 pm

ticknaylor wrote:
JayD wrote:Tig, mig, or mma using S/S rods, all will give a nice finished weld if you are proficient. What do you have at hand ? can you weld? I use s/s rods I purchased off fleabay to weld my kegs. Do not weld S/S with ordinary mig wire, it will weld on s/s but you will loose the physical properties of s/s and it will rust...mind you s/s welded correctly once pacified also rusts once but you can not see it. Hope this helps rather than confuse you.

J

Hey Jay what grade stainless rods did you get off fleabay I'm gunna attempt arc welding ferrules on soon. Thanks

Here is what I use, 2.00mm rods.

ssrodss.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Thanks mate so their 316L rods I noticed quite a few different types of stainless rods like 308L, 308H, 318L,309MO-17 wasn't sure what to use on a keg anyway cheers ill get some 316L electrodes
ticknaylor

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench