EBAY IDEA's

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

EBAY IDEA's

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:16 pm

Here's a couple of Ebay Idea's that could help

The PH meter is for taking PH level when im doing generations only $8 (sick and tired of guessing)

1x 50W aquarium heater is to keep my ferments going during the winter

please add any other good idea's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Re: EBAY IDEA's

Postby _TK_ » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:16 pm

I think aqua heater is brilliant idea but how to seal cable through fermenter lid ???
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Postby punchy21 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:21 pm

tkwasik wrote:I think aqua heater is brilliant idea but how to seal cable through fermenter lid ???

Cable gland?
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Linny » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:26 pm

I just use glad wrap and rubber bands
Linny

Postby Milky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Just use a grommet on your lid or if you glad wrap, put the cord under your rubber seal
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Milky » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Rossi plasma Cutter, tig mig arc Welder all in one. Going to get one soon.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0861426342
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Postby Canadoz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 pm

tkwasik wrote:I think aqua heater is brilliant idea but how to seal cable through fermenter lid ???

I used a drilled bung. Cut the cord end off, feed through and attached replacement cable end from bunnings.

Just make sure the bung (and hole) are big enough to fit the heater through.

You'll want some un-drilled bungs the same size for warm weather use as well.
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:58 pm

Got that PH meter, batts last fuck all, but other than that seems to be as accurate as the strips, but near isntant digital reading :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Aqua heaters are the go mate faw shiz
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Linny » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Yeah my PH reader rocked up today :handgestures-thumbupleft: , now i just need to calibrate it ... jumped on Hunter water website as of May this year it says it should be PH 7.5, mine reads 8. i tired to cal it with the buffers that came with it ,,, but i cant see how that works If your base (ie. water is higher that 7.0 , which it usually is)... how do you reckon i CAL it ? buy some PH strips ? and compare
Linny

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Got that PH meter, batts last fuck all, but other than that seems to be as accurate as the strips, but near isntant digital reading :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Aqua heaters are the go mate faw shiz

Google the batterys on ebay you need I got 50 for about $10.00
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby db1979 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Linny wrote:Yeah my PH reader rocked up today :handgestures-thumbupleft: , now i just need to calibrate it ... jumped on Hunter water website as of May this year it says it should be PH 7.5, mine reads 8. i tired to cal it with the buffers that came with it ,,, but i cant see how that works If your base (ie. water is higher that 7.0 , which it usually is)... how do you reckon i CAL it ? buy some PH strips ? and compare

What buffers came with it?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:57 pm

When I did mine, I calibrated it with the buffers which came with it. I then took a reading from my tap water and it showed 7.4.(which is normal
I now use the tapwater as my buffer to recalibrate.
Tap water can vary a lot, I find that if my wash is showing something abnormal, I check my calibration under the tap.
:twocents-mytwocents:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby db1979 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Changes in the amount of acid present in a solution can have a massive effect on pH if the solution was originally around pH 7. This is because pH is not a linear scale. I'm not familiar with these pH meters but I'm assuming you are only able to perform a single point calibration, in which case you would always be best off using the buffer solution and not tap water for the calibration. If you performed the calibration using a single point calibration using tap water and it's actual pH was out by a little bit, then this could have a massive impact on the pH that you read on your wash.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm

That sounds logial, where's the best place to get more buffers?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby Twistie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I've got that Ph meter too, accuracy was OK when new but then went south after battery change. I checked it against an aquarium test kit, to find it was useless. I ended up spending the coin and getting the one from Jaycar. Hope this helps somebody.
Twistie

equipment: 2" Boka, 50L keg.

Postby db1979 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Kimbo wrote:That sounds logial, where's the best place to get more buffers?

Never bought them myself, always had a lab assistant or on site supplier who took care of all that but http://www.perthscientific.com.au claims on their website that they sell buffers and they make big claims about their service so could be a good place to try. Don't know Perth at all so no idea if they are handy to you. Good luck.
db1979

Postby db1979 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:00 pm

In order to get the best mileage out of your buffer solution, use the smallest container possible to pour the buffer into and discard the used buffer. Buffer should also be kept in the fridge.

Are there any requirements for storing your pH meter? As far as I know, pH meters should be stored in a solution and not allowed to dry out. I'm no expert on the solutions inside pH electrodes but I think they usually have a pretty concentrated potassium chloride solution inside the glass membrane and this is what they should be stored in (up to a depth to cover the glass membrane). They should also be stored vertically to aid in keeping the membrane from drying. Anybody, please correct me if I'm wrong.
db1979

Postby Linny » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Nope I agree . . . I heard that it has to be kept wet
Linny

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:32 pm

Dunno mate, the instructions which came with mine said nothing like that :think:
Mine came with a cap, dunno if that makes a difference?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby db1979 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:40 pm

The cap would keep the membrane wet for a little while but if not looked after properly I wouldn't expect them to last too long. If you didn't pay much for it then it won't be a massive loss if it gives up the ghost.

The pH probes at my current school are not stored in potassium chloride and are stored horizontally on a shelf when not in use. The labbie soaks them in potassium chloride before they are needed (I think overnight) and she claims this works well. So maybe they are pretty robust. Having some potassium chloride might be a good thing but then how much money do you want to spend on pH probes? There's a few ads on ebay selling potassium chloride.
db1979

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench