Another Newbie parrot

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Another Newbie parrot

Postby gad » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:10 pm

(some of the phot's were obviously too large but I'm not doing it all again)
A few weeks back I didn't even know what a parrot beak (parrot) was but had seen it mentioned in a few threads I'd read.
I did a search & read many posts/threads on parrots. I was quiet impressed with goanna's effort viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3582 & thought I'd try to make something similar, I also read the full thread by Macstill on soft soldering.
It took a few weeks as no one would sell me 270mm of 25mm pipe so I ended up having to buy a metre, I also bought a 50x25 reducer, a 20x15 reducer (that's what he's put on the invoice, I asked for a 25x12 reducer which I'm sure I got) & a 25mm cap from a plumber supplier, total $36.78.
I bought a length (1.5m) of 1/2" copper tube ($12.00) & a Benzomatic solder flux kit ($26.87) from Bunnings.
New total - $75.65
The Benzomatic burner I already had (couldn't even remember the last time I used it or what I used it for).
I added the small support bar for two reasons, 1. support (I saw the damage Crow did to his) & 2. to practice a solder joint on (first solder).
The support bar ended up a bit off 90 deg as when I heated the joint up the reflux was just rolling off the pipe & I was thinking, shit, this ain't going to work.
I did finally get it soldered on but it had moved & I wasn't going to do it again, just adjusted the rest to suit.
Oh & my bottle of Benzomatic propane was bone dry when I went to use it so I had to get another $20.63.
New total - $96.28.

I tried to show the inside joins here after I'd soldered the outside but the pic's are not very good.
Here the unit is soldered up & testing overnight (water & hydrometer) before a final clean up & after the clean up.

On the very last joint (the end cap) I was just getting the hang of this soldering stuff.

Originally I was just going to make a wooden base as goanna did but then started thinking about some sort of a height adjustable clamp stand for it. On a rare look around a "reject shop" I saw this nifty paper towel holder for $3 & thought "this could work" & the height adjustable clamp stand has gone on the back burner.
I thought it might take a lot more heat to solder the chrome to the copper & so I gave it heaps .... dah, had the solder running out of a few existing joints on the parrot & so then had to do repairs, & cleaning all over again. As it turned out, again, that last solder of the stand to the parrot was a breeze, unlike the rest of them. Funny how you just get good at something when it's too late.

FFS, stuffed up. I'd given ample room from the tube to fill a Demijohn as the wooden base would have extended out the other side.
Not even giving it a thought (I shouldn't drink while on the job), this base gets in the road, dah. Can't cut a section out to suit as this part supports the bar that's soldered to the parrot.
Looks like I'll have to replace the delivery tube with a longer one, sometime ..........
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Re: Another Newbie parrot

Postby Bushy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Good little first project the ol parrot. Looks like you have the hang of solder. Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
One little tip i'll mention is to make sure you have something soft for the glass tube to sit on. Terrible sound when they go chink on the bottom. Just a bit of ss scrubby or similar.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby haze » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Nice work. great stand too
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby Gas on » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:32 am

Nice work mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I bet you'll be building a bubbler before ya know it!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :D
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby Smbjk » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:57 am

Bushy wrote:Good little first project the ol parrot. Looks like you have the hang of solder. Well done :handgestures-thumbupleft:
One little tip i'll mention is to make sure you have something soft for the glass tube to sit on. Terrible sound when they go chink on the bottom. Just a bit of ss scrubby or similar.

Wow thats a great idea would never have thought of that 8-} great tip :handgestures-thumbupleft: sometimes I can be just the little things that can cause sheer amazement :D :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby gad » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:07 am

:text-thankyoublue: all.

That is a great tip Bushy, those damn alcometers are expensive not to mention the cleanup.

Have been thinking of trying a small bubbler but as yet don't know enough (need to do a lot more reading here) & given the price I paid for this small amount of copper for the parrot, my heads spins at the thought of what the bubbler material would cost :))

If I had $1500 to spare I would definetly be getting my self one of Macstills SS bubblers. Damn they look good. For now, I'm just dreamin .....
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 pm

looks great. you probably have inspired some more builds
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Tips From The Workbench