Pipe Expanders

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Pipe Expanders

Postby ticknaylor » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:54 pm

So I called a couple of local hire companies to see if they had any expanders to do six inch pipe one of them said yeah we use to have them then looked around and said nah got rid of them, So I notice the eastern states have plumbing hire in some research just wondering if any W.A. people know of any here? Obvious $400 isn't worth it for about 6 expansions then I'm never gunna use it again.
ticknaylor

Re: Pipe Expanders

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:12 pm

Well after making a few phone calls today sounds like this is a lost cause. My plumber mate reckons no one uses 6 inch anymore and I could heat it up and belt it out but it would be a bitch and may turn out shit. At $52 for a 6 inch coupling I'm thinking a redesigns is in order. :crying-blue:
ticknaylor

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Why not take a piece of 6", cut it length ways.
Then silver solder in a small section just wide enough to slip over the normal 6" pipe?

Then cut off the lengths you need to make them long enough to seal your pipe.
IE make your own joiners.
Got to be better than paying $52 for each joiner.

That's what I'd do if you really like the design you already have.

DBV
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby dogbreath vodka » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Or even better.
Why not make an inner sleeve and fit the plate inside that with silver solder.
Then soft solder the two pieces of 6" together.
Problem solved and will only see one join. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks DBV, the issue is the seams look shithouse and the sleeve idea I might aswell make a slide in plate tree with weirs around it. I appreciate your input though its nice to have other ideas thrown out there cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby Hill » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:44 pm

If your not in a hurry mate I may be able to help you
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby waza » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Any respectable plumber who does high rise work, or fire sprinkler systems would have a 6" expander, I know my plumbers does. I would ring around the bigger plumbers in the area, see if their interested in a trade of sorts.
waza

equipment: still looking.

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Hill wrote:If your not in a hurry mate I may be able to help you

Mate I'm in no hurry I'm gunna have to get a bank loan to buy the ferrules :laughing-rolling: yeah let me know if its doable cheers
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:21 pm

waza wrote:Any respectable plumber who does high rise work, or fire sprinkler systems would have a 6" expander, I know my plumbers does. I would ring around the bigger plumbers in the area, see if their interested in a trade of sorts.

Yeah I didn't know this I spoke to my plumber mate and he said the rare as hens teeth nowadays maybe next time I'm on a big site I'll ask the fire guys cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby CH3CH2OH » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:24 am

Here is what worked for 4" type K heavy walled copper but I don't know if you can find one big enough for 6"

Remember, you may have to machine the ID of the ferrule if you are making a removable tree so your plates will slide through, make sure you engineer this process before you start machining everything!!!

Anneal the pipe end, good and hot and quench it

Grease the inside flare and put the annealed end on the top of an appropriate sized industrial bottle jack with a rounded casing like in the picture (it will destroy the paint!!!)

Place a chunk of wood on the other end and smack it to flare the end open a bit MAKE SURE IT IS PLUMB TO THE JACK SO IT FLARES EVENLY

Turn upside down, grease the inside flare again and slide the ferrule in a ways

Put a piece of wood over the ferrule and smack it with a hammer a few times straight down and it will expand, adjust with an extra hit on one side if it isn't going in straight

Re-anneal if needed

Once the ferrule is seated as far as you want it, re-anneal the end, tap the flared pipe back down flush with the ferrule collar and silver solder together making sure it is square

Repeat on other side

Worked great for me

jack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CH3CH2OH

equipment: 4" copper 7 plate bubbler with packed section on a 50l boiler

Postby bang300 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:34 am

What about a shop that makes exhaust systems for big diesel machinery...dump trucks, excavators, big ship fitters and such? In the states the flair pipe for a slip fit!
bang300

equipment: Condenser Controlled VM

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Thanks for the tutorial CH3CH2OH 152.4mm 6" pipe has a 2mm wall thickness it would be interesting to see if that method would work on thick pipe like not sure on the thickness of heavy wall but i know standard B type 4 inch is 1.6mm so i assume heavy wall would be similar to six inch cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

bang300 wrote:What about a shop that makes exhaust systems for big diesel machinery...dump trucks, excavators, big ship fitters and such? In the states the flair pipe for a slip fit!

I got a mate who builds the huge excavators for mining he reckons there isnt one in his workshop granted he does no modifying he just puts all the parts together and ships it up north cheers for the idea it was worth a try :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby Kimbo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:29 pm

Have you tried annealing it and hammering it?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby ticknaylor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Need an oxy to anneal the 6 inch is to large to get enough heat into it with propane i have been told to give this ago and will do when i see my mate with an oxy cheers kimbo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
ticknaylor

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:11 am

Just easy flange the shit, and dont smack the rings flat.... you need to decide on a couple things an ex member used to say.

cheap, good, fast..... or sumfin like dat..... pick 2

But IMHO, A 6" bubbler deserves time, dollars effort and perfection, you already got a 4" rig so dont be in a hurry cutting corners and being a tight arse on this rig, your alredy a mile in front with free pipe and expert advice.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby dogbreath vodka » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:20 am

MacStill wrote:Just easy flange the shit, and dont smack the rings flat....

Why not flatten the rings Mac?

DBV
dogbreath vodka

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:25 am

The clamps will be loose if you do ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tips From The Workbench