DB's easy aeration tube

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

DB's easy aeration tube

Postby db1979 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 pm

G'day, thought I'd share my take on an aeration tube for assisted aging using aeration.

I took a length of annealed 1/4" copper about 50mm longer than my aging jars (I age in pasta sauce jars cause I don't make much product) and bent it at 90 degrees a bit over an inch from one end. I then took an unravelled copper scrubber (could have used a stainless one but only had copper) and twisted the edge of it as narrow as I could get it then shoved it into the end of the bent end of the tube. I then cut the scrubber off close to the tube with scissors and crimped the tube over the scrubber with flat nosed pliers and finished it off with a few blows with my hammer. I tested the bubble size that came out the end each time I crimped it or took the hammer to it until I was happy I was making nice small bubbles. Some standard aquarium silicon tubing connected it up to my $15 aquarium pump and the little things works like a champ.

Gave it a soak in citric acid solution for a while before giving it a thorough rinse and dried by running air through it. Tested it out over the last week with some 1 week old BWKO (2nd gen) and it worked a treat. Still no substitute for longer times on oak but great for short term demands.

Here's the finished item
20131019_135235.jpg

I didn't take a photo of the scrubber when i'd twisted it but here's what it looked like after I'd cut it off...you get the idea...
20131019_150016.jpg

This is probably the best photo I've got of the end with the scrubber inside, after being crimped.
20131019_135501.jpg

And the result:
20131019_141308.jpg

Easy way of getting fine bubbles without any soldering or drilling. Hope somebody finds it useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Re: DB's easy aeration tube

Postby res » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:21 pm

Nice work bud :handgestures-thumbupleft: I was about to give this very problem some thought given the imminent arrival of my French oak. Now I guess I'll get a chance to go outside or something. :text-+1:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby db1979 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Thanks res :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Not sure what happened to the last photo but its coming out weird on my tablet. Should look like this:
IMG_20131025_212504.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby bt1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:38 am

Rather sexy really

wd

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Tips From The Workbench