Cutting Glass Circles

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Cutting Glass Circles

Postby Thelegion » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 pm

I found this on the "TUBE OF U" on cutting circles, I hope you all find this helpful.

Cheers, Legion

Last edited by Sam. on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed you tube link
Thelegion

equipment: FOR YOUR 4" BUBBLING PLEASURE

Re: Cutting Glass Circles

Postby zombie » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Thanks for the Vid. It's always cool to watch someone that knows how to do something new.

Glass cutting SAUCKS wind. Just my H.O. Hate it!
zombie

Postby Thelegion » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:33 pm

if you look on ebay there are a ton of circle cutters for just a few bucks, custom sight glass sizes are only $4.95 + away.
Thelegion

Postby Kimbo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Thelegion wrote: custom sight glass sizes are only $4.95 + away.

Just remember that the custom sight glasses are not standard glass as seen in that video.
They are in fact Borosilicate glass
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Thelegion » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:55 pm

ok,
I hate to do this but here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOeEhxFze5k
Thelegion

Postby Kimbo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:12 pm

Cool,
I didnt want people just going ahead and cutting plate glass like in the first Vid, then trying to use them as sight glasses ( just to try and save a cupplabucks) ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm

I've never had a problem cutting borosilicate glass :teasing-tease:

Perfect every time :laughing-rolling:

SGD2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby zombie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Can pre-cut tempered glass be used?
zombie

Postby Fatherjack » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:26 pm

I doubt the guy in circle cutting vid could make it seem so easy if he was cutting 10mm thick glass, as the custom sight glasses are

I imagine the 3 & 4 inch custom SG are cut more like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QaQHjCAv4
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Thought it appropriate to link this Here

Get your point Kimbo about Borosilicate glass being better suited and may down the track redo .

Please no piss takes on my slack attempt at a build here .... messar been busy :hand:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Thelegion » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:11 am

Kimbo wrote:Cool,
I didnt want people just going ahead and cutting plate glass like in the first Vid, then trying to use them as sight glasses ( just to try and save a cupplabucks) ;-)

I hear ya,

it looks like one can achieve good results with thicker regular glass as a member has linked in his build. I tried to buy a water jet last week but the wife wouldn't let me do a second mortgage . :D
Thelegion

Postby zombie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:41 am

http://www.emachineshop.com/machine-sho ... age92.html

This is a link to a waterjet cutting shop. They have an online calculator, and give quotes based on your input.
Just thought I'd throw it up here if anyone is curious.

There is a shop here that I deal with several times a year, and just for ballpark pricing... I pay $60.00 per hr. including the layout time. Thicker materials cut slower but something like glass circles are very fast layout, and cutting. It might cost ya 60.00 to cut 10 or so times 4".
zombie

Postby Thelegion » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:12 am

I had 10x 3" copper plate cut for my build and with materials and labour came to $141.00, I won't do that again. You can buy Milwaukee hole saws for around $12.00+ and you get to keep the tools after the cuts. After you cut the plates you have perfect centre hole for your stainless ready rod, or turn that hole into a bubble cap and drill your plates out or what ever style you fancy. I think the copper came to $60 bucks Can. lesson learned.

Legion
Thelegion

Postby zombie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Thelegion wrote:I had 10x 3" copper plate cut for my build and with materials and labour came to $141.00, I won't do that again. You can buy Milwaukee hole saws for around $12.00+ and you get to keep the tools after the cuts. After you cut the plates you have perfect centre hole for your stainless ready rod, or turn that hole into a bubble cap and drill your plates out or what ever style you fancy. I think the copper came to $60 bucks Can. lesson learned.

Legion

Roughly 80.00 for the labor/machine work. Pretty much on par with what I pay here. (Sourthern US)

Gotta figure in what Your time is worth. My parts are picked up and delivered ready to install so I can work on billing out other jobs (marine restoration). It actually makes me money to have someone else do the cutting/finishing.
zombie

Postby Fatherjack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:52 pm

Thelegion wrote:it looks like one can achieve good results with thicker regular glass as a member has linked in his build. I tried to buy a water jet last week but the wife wouldn't let me do a second mortgage . :D

Your man was cutting 3mm glass
The member you mention said he cut 4mm with ease

I suggest if you could find a utube clip of someone cutting 3 inch circles out of 10mm glass by hand, that the person would have had a great deal of experience in glass cutting, also he would have spend considerable time grinding the edge to get them as good as the custom ones :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Fatherjack

Mac pot still

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Fatherjack wrote:I doubt the guy in circle cutting vid could make it seem so easy if he was cutting 10mm thick glass, as the custom sight glasses are

I imagine the 3 & 4 inch custom SG are cut more like this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1QaQHjCAv4

Fartherjack ,who sells custom 10mm sight glasses ?......only ones I've seen for hobby stills are 4mm so far
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Thelegion » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:49 pm

I have found a ton of really good info on the tube of u from amateur and the pro's and all thickness of glass being cut. I feel it is totally worthwhile to learn this skill and only adds to enjoyment of building your own still from the bottom up. I could possibly get away with the store bought 2.4 inch sight glass but I would be paying $6 a glass x6 and 2 spares for a total of $48 plus shipping. I can buy a nice circle cutter for $20, there are so many places to source free glass and in different thickness. 4-5mm glass would be all I could manage to fit in a 2inch tri-clamp with a gasket. I look at this as a great skill to learn, right up there with the "easy flange".

here is a cat cutting 5/16 inch glass circle (link below)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDrpmPUZ0T4

Legion
Thelegion

Postby Fatherjack » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Yummyrum wrote:,who sells custom 10mm sight glasses ?......only ones I've seen for hobby stills are 4mm so far

I got big thick 1s with the SSG on my bubbler, but I hadnt considered the set up when using tri clamps which require thinner glass,
Fatherjack

Mac pot still

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:23 pm

You can lead a horse to water :))

sg.JPG

Available in 3 sizes :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:teasing-tease:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Tips From The Workbench