passivation bath

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

passivation bath

Postby whiskeyshiner » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Ill have to post pics later coz i cant seem to upload them but basically im using a blue plastic 44 gallon drum filled with the top cut off filled with 200mm of water which will cover my welds. I wasnt happy using dangerous acids or the results i got from acetone so im testing 2kgs of citric acid for a 5% solution and a litre of phosphoric acid because i had it lying around will post results. after one day blackness around ferrule weld has reduced. The beauty of citric is it will eat carbon and iron but not destroy the chromium oxide layer on stainless :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by Sam. on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed thumbs up
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Re: passivation bath

Postby whiskeyshiner » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 pm

Well mixed results so far it has definately removed some weld tint however its definately not strong enough to remove weld sugaring or the real dark discolouration. Im going to continue to do some research as products like citisurf contain citric acid and a 'propiety blend' i got no uj to run atm so i might give it a bit more time to workout what else i might add. Also i havent heated or agitated which is recommended
whiskeyshiner

Postby bayshine » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 pm

citric acid and a wire brush(new staino one) should do the trick mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 pm

bayshine wrote:citric acid and a wire brush(new staino one) should do the trick mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wow this turned out schmick got no flash on my phone so ill have to get out the camera to show u guys but i srcubbed it with a staino scrubber no discolouration whatso ever very happy. Weld sugaring well i can live with that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

Return to Tips From The Workbench