Silver soldering SS kegs.

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Postby davecuds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:25 am

I have just started dabbling with soft soldering and soon silver soldering and came across this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIkvP55UbxM

I was just wondering what the experts think? For me, this is pretty exciting because it allows me to modify my keg boiler and if i can get it right it means i dont have to rely on anyone else to help me with TIG welding and so forth.

Would be great to get some opinions before i start drilling holes in my keg! :-D
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Re: Silver soldering SS kegs.

Postby Canadoz » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:46 am

That looks really clever to me, Can't wait to try it in fact.
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby wedwards » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26 am

Yeah I been following bobby for a long time and he's a pretty switched on guy. Just make sure your solder and flux don't have any nasties in them - this was discussed in detail in another thread here. There's definately no need to weld stainless if you can solder. I'm in the process of converting 4 x 50l kegs into canonical type fermenters and will be soldering everything because my stainless welding skills suck. Will put pics up eventually but I say go for it.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby davecuds » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:51 am

Any idea where to get those welding studs? I looked at stirlings here in Perth but they didnt have any. I found a few online but would be nice to get them locally
davecuds

equipment: 50L boiler, 4 plate bubbler. 3600w element, SSR controlled

Postby mr_gt » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am

Simple :-) nice video
mr_gt

equipment: Keggomax FM Reflux Still on 50 litre Keg Boiler

Postby wedwards » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:42 am

No idea about the studs - I was just going to go with the tried and proven ferrule and clamp method - bit bulkier but at least I know I can get all the parts from Mac
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Kimbo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am

davecuds wrote:Any idea where to get those welding studs? I looked at stirlings here in Perth but they didnt have any. I found a few online but would be nice to get them locally

You could probably just use a 3/4" ferrule, I think Mac has a gate valve to suit them in the store ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Smbjk » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 pm

http://brewhardware.com/

Pitty in america as shipping is probably exy. Has some cool stuff though :handgestures-thumbupleft: he has a curved furrell that fits straight on the outside of the boiler :D few ideas for fsd :pray:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Return to Tips From The Workbench