Home made gas burner

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Re: Home made gas burner

Postby maheel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:57 pm

stubbydrainer wrote:G'day Big Don,
I just finished building your 747 burner, I didn't have a bit of 2" pipe in the scrap pile , so I used a bit of 2 1/4" exhaust that was under the bench looking for something to do @ 150mm long
The little piece of pipe over the hole I made a bit shorter than the length of your thumb nail :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
and it seems to me that IMHO the flame is a bit yellower than I sorta expected, and Its not very loud at all ( maybe it's my hearing :( :( )
What sort of output does your gas reg.have, The one I raided outta the bbq say 2 kg/hour on it , Is that enough or is it the wrong reg ? :think: :think: :think:
Any advise welcomed ?

Cheer
Stubbydrainer

nahh you need a HP reg i think to get the most from big D's design.
more like 4-8 kg per hour
or muck about with gas hole and air hole sizes i think

got a gas hose without a reg...... lol :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-devil:
maheel

Postby Cane Toad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:41 am

HP reg mate or just use the straight gas hose,I used to :laughing-rolling: The normal BBQ reg is no good,not Enough punch to it.Try the straight hose and see the difference,then report back :text-lol:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby stubbydrainer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:58 am

Thx guys
I reckon it was the reg, ie: more fuel :auto-nx: :o :o = more noise = more heat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
SBB's bring'n his reg over to fuck about a bit with it some more today

Cheers
Stubbydrainer
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby crozdog » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:39 am

stubbydrainer wrote:Thx guys
I reckon it was the reg, ie: more fuel :auto-nx: :o :o = more noise = more heat :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
SBB's bring'n his reg over to fuck about a bit with it some more today

Cheers
Stubbydrainer

SD - BD says in step 8 - get a High Pressure reg & a needle valve for fine control.

A BBQ reg isn't a High Pressure reg. If you get one like this http://www.auscrown.com/page/shop/flypa ... regulators you won't need the needle valve as the reg is adjustable. I use a similar one in my brewery - they work great & offer excellent control!

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable welding stuff to work with gas the italian spiral burners & medium pressure regs from beerbelly (http://www.beerbelly.com.au/burners.html no affiliation blah blah) put out some serious heat - a mates cracked the concrete under my pergola!
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:38 pm

:shock: :shock: HOLY FAAAARRRRKKKK :o :o :o :o

Hey there BD is this what ya talking about ???

Borrowed a hp reg from a neighbour, it works like a fuken beauty :dance: :dance: :dance:
The neighbour wanted to see my new "crab pot burner" in action, all he said was " fuck me , your fucken crazy " that's the desired effect i was looking for :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
and your right, they do sound like a 747 on take off :o :o :o :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Stubbydrainer
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby SBB » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:00 pm

The Mrs impressed Stubbs???????? :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:08 pm

SBB
She wasn't there when it was fired up ( off in the garden )
I showed her the piccy ( that was enough :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ) said thank god I wasn't there :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-tappingfoot: , you burn this place down and there WILL be trouble !!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Told you they were good :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:39 pm

BD
FYI that's running at 35 psi (on the reg's output gauge) :shock: :shock: :shock: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Wait till you jam it under a keg stubs,I'd say about a 20 minute heat up time :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: you'll be able to strip a 200l fermenter AND do a spirit run on the low wines you collected all in one day :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:51 pm

DB
I've been thinking about a 1.2 mtr piece of 4"copper I've got shuv'd in the corner of the shed :think: :think:
How'd ya reckon a 1.2 mtr , 4" shotty would go reversing the effect of the burner stuck at the beginning of the process :o :o :o :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
Stubs
stubbydrainer

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:21 am

Now you have the home made gas burner impress the neighbors with Deep Fried Turkey look it up on net .
wynnum1

Postby crozdog » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:58 am

wynnum1 wrote:Now you have the home made gas burner impress the neighbors with Deep Fried Turkey look it up on net .

Look out for when the turkey is dropped into that hot pot of oil! eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kspx1oOP_fE or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o9jW4yN ... re=related or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bzKvSz ... re=related
crozdog

equipment: 2" Bok
2" VM
2" pot
50l modified laundry copper for a boiler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm

gotta love the fireman, with all his safety gear, years of training and he uses a freakin coat hanger :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:59 pm

Hi gang,it's Cupcake here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: just going through my photos and found one of the original BD747,the one I used for cooking prawns and crabs,till I found bigger and better uses for it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Image
This one was made to suit a Tooheys keg :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cupcake over and out
Cane Toad

Postby Lowndsey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:42 pm

F'n hell how many space shuttles has that launched? haha
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 1:15 am

Hi people will this regulator work , I've got it screwed on to the pipe I'm using for the burner ps ya can click on it for a better look EDIT the main pipe is in fact an old tie rod arm that had been used for a garden stake :roll: .I cut the rusty end off unscrewed the tie rod end and hey presto same thread as a bbq gas thread :dance: , pipe is 13mm OD 9mm ID hardened steel so doubt the gas pressure will split it :laughing-rolling:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by crow on Sat May 26, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Sat May 26, 2012 1:28 am

Cupcake wrote:just going through my photos and found one of the original BD747,the one I used for cooking prawns and crabs,till I found bigger and better uses for it

Gday Don,

Do you have a higher resolution photo of this I can get off you please mate..?
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby maheel » Sat May 26, 2012 10:47 am

croweater

that should work very well !!
maheel

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Thank maheel I bought the Reg on special at Bridges Wade for $45 which I thought was pretty good , The hose was $10 and $6 for fittings to change it from male to female fittings . The fella said if it doesn't work just bring it all back so ya can't get fairer than that , all in all nice place to do business PS bought some spar fitting of them a couple of yrs back they were helpful then to , should have gone to them first , save me trapesing allover town all day :-D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

PreviousNext

Return to Tips From The Workbench