Home made gas burner

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

Home made gas burner

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 am

For all you fellas out there using gas,you need one of theseImage

I made this one up myself,it's a copy of what they call a Luxford burner.it will bring a 50l keg to the boil in about 20 minutes.Every 2nd house around here has one,used for cooking muddies and prawns.I used it to do a 200l molasses stripping run on the weekend and it took 4.5h to strip about 45l of low wines.That's 4.5h from the time I fired up the burner to when I shut the shed door after leaving the sugar and molasses to invert,emptying the boiler and cleaning up :dance: .if anyone wants one I can post some picks of what you'll need.Sending one down to Mac this week as a matter of fact
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Re: 4" stripper

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:45 am

BTW it sounds like a 747 taking off :text-lol:
Cane Toad

Postby torry73 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:45 pm

I'd be interested in how you made it. Looks a simple design.
torry73

equipment: 2" DR Boka- reflux/pot combo
1.5" reflux cm
2" pot still
50 litre boiler on gas

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Every shed needs something in it that sounds like a 747 taking off......Im interested too.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Home made gas burner

Postby Frank » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi Big Don
do you have any idea re the AMOUNT of gas needed/used for a typical run with this '747' :lol: compared to, say, a three/four ring 'typical' burner?
Frank

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Im thinking it could cost about the same as a 747 to run Frank
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:02 pm

I have heard of these before but never seen one. The way it was explained to me was its a towel rack made into a flamethrower :laughing-rolling:

How do you build one Don and how does it work?

Always looking for ways to cut time down.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:06 pm

Ok,there seems to be a bit of interest in these.Firstly,you can use either stainless or mild steel for construction,I use stainless coz I got plenty.
#1 find some 2" tube and cut it about 150mm long,then cut 2 pieces off the bottom at an angle...see pic
#2 next take a piece of pipe about 13mm,doesn't have to be exact,any piece will do,about 400mm long and weld up one end,make sure you weld it up properly as this will have high pressure gas going through it,I normally hit it with the mig then give it a hit with the tig to make sure it's sealed
#3 next thing is pretty important,take a 1.5mm drill bit,it HAS to be 1.5,any bigger and you get too much yellow flame which will cover the bottom of the boiler with soot and shit.Drill a hole 60-70mm back from the sealed end,if using staino make sure you use cobalt drill bits or make sure you have a couple of dozen normal drill bits on hand
#4 find a bit of pipe about 8mm ID and weld itaround the hole you just drilled,try to get the hole in the cente but don't worry if it's a bit off centre
#5 next weld the piece of 2" pipe over the piece you just welded on
#6 next thing is to get a male gas fitting and weld it to the open end off the pipe
#7 almost finished,find a couple of off cuts and weld them to the main pipe to make the whole lot stable
#8 go to the gas shop or camping stow and grab a high pressure regulator and hose and if you can spring for a needle valve do so as it allows for finer control of heat.When you get home hook it all up,turn on gas and spray the end that you sealed with some detergent and water to make sure that it's sealed properly.
All done fellas
Gas usage isn't as bad as you might think,I get nearly 4 x 200l stripping runs out of a 8.5kg bottle.will post some more pics tomorrow of one that I built the other weekend that I incorporated into a stand to hold a keg,look and turned out pretty cool and worked a treat
Cane Toad

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Only thing wrong with them is they DO sound like a 747 taking off,but fuck you can throw so serious heat at your boiler lol,on last weekends stripping run,I was stripping somewhere between 15-20l/hr.try doing that with electricity :teasing-neener:
Cane Toad

Postby Sam. » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 pm

That is fucking awesome!!

Amazing how much heat is coming out of one hole!

I know its probably not needed but could you make a dual one or wouldn't there be enough pressure (or would it sound like a F-111)?

Do you have pics of it in action?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 pm

I suppose you could do a dual,never bothered to try as these things really kick arse.you could build them out of almost any scrap laying around.Also I don't worry to much about welding them as such,all I do is give em a good tac,except on the sealed end and the threaded end,once finished drop em on the ground a few times and if they don't break,fire em up
Cane Toad

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Good stuff Big Don :clap:
I might make one of them there gadgets :D
but outta steel hydraulic tubing because I got some of that in the shed somewhere :? :?
A multi use crab cooker, I like shit like that 8-)

cheers
Stubbydrainer
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 pm

No worries Stubs my pleasure.Just remember use a 1.5mm drill bit
Cane Toad

Postby SBB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Wanna knock two up while ya at it Stubs :lol: .....Ill do ya a trade for something...dunno what yet
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:45 am

This looks fucken brilliant I reckon, thanks Big Don for posting it up in such detail :thumbup:

Anything that works well, is cheap & can be made DYI is a most welcome addition to the home distillers world, and I cant see why it's gas consumption would be any more than the three ringed burners commonly used.

Top stuff!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Big Don
How far above this thing do you have your keg, I dont wanna burn a hole in the arse of it ? :o :o :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:13 am

Hey Stubs,I only have the keg about 4" above the burner,don't worry about blowing the arse out of the keg....won't happen
Cane Toad

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:34 am

Cool thx BD
I'll make a stand so the arse of the keg is 10-11" of the ground 8-) 8-) 8-)

Cheers
stubbydrainer

Postby stubbydrainer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:48 pm

hey SBB
I cant find that hydraulic tube , I suspect I used it up for someting else, but gunna make ya on when I do mine ( you get ya own high pressure reg tho )
I know ya not in a hurry :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers
stubbydrainer

Postby stubbydrainer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 pm

G'day Big Don,
I just finished building your 747 burner, I didn't have a bit of 2" pipe in the scrap pile , so I used a bit of 2 1/4" exhaust that was under the bench looking for something to do @ 150mm long
The little piece of pipe over the hole I made a bit shorter than the length of your thumb nail :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
and it seems to me that IMHO the flame is a bit yellower than I sorta expected, and Its not very loud at all ( maybe it's my hearing :( :( )
What sort of output does your gas reg.have, The one I raided outta the bbq say 2 kg/hour on it , Is that enough or is it the wrong reg ? :think: :think: :think:
Any advise welcomed ?

Cheer
Stubbydrainer
stubbydrainer

Next

Return to Tips From The Workbench