mapp gas

Posts in this forum should be a complete method, educational, with pics where applicable,posts made in this area that don't fit this criteria will be moved at mods discretion.

mapp gas

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Hey guys im sick of my soft soldered shotgun leaking so i was gunna buy a mapp gas and hard solder it together its 2" copper what i was wondering is if anyone had hard solder say a 4" or 6" bubbler reflux shotgun with one ? I plan on making a bubbler one day and would be able to justify the mapp if i could use it on that but i was a bit tentative that a little mapp could get big copper glowing red to hard solder ? Thanks
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Re: mapp gas

Postby Brendan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:12 pm

Other guys will have more experience on this, but I know that once you get past the smaller things, you need to go from MAPP to oxy-acetylene for brazing/hard soldering. Think I was able to do up to 3 inch stuff with the MAPP from memory :doh:

The TS8000 torch you get with the MAPP is great for use with propane as well, it's just a decent self igniting torch :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Thanks mate yeah found the spec says its only good up to 2"
whiskeyshiner

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 pm

Worse thing i ever did was remove the 2" to 3/4" reducer and put on a triclamp ferrule ill post sone pics later but i can direct the heat to seql the inside of the ferrule against the plate without desoldering the solder around the outside of the ferrule im gunna try directing the heat more at the copper or ill just smash it against the wall and buy FSD condensor :laughing-rolling:
whiskeyshiner

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks BJ thats a great idea might give it a go not about the ferrule getting to hot and fucking it will give it a go though
whiskeyshiner

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:52 pm

Whiskyshiner...I did the same with using a gas burner underneith.It makes all the difference.
I first tried the bango on an HP reg and it was rediculously overkill.Then I tried a small gas ring on a standard reg and that seems fine.I let it heat up for a few minuates and then apply the mapp toch , the mapp jus locally brings to red where you need it. After seeing how effective it was I can quite believe that one of those camping cookers would do the job as a preheater.
The only thing to be aware of is that the heat that comes off it is quite intense......its like a chimney...so dont put your arm above it while brazing :cry:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Looks like i got a bit of desoldering to do then clean up then some brazing yeah the burning your arm is a bit of a worry :? I think ill desolder the ferrule then braze and finish up with soft soldering the ferrule back on. Thanks for the tips fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

Postby woodyj80 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:48 pm

if your after a cheaper alternative to the devil torch you can get one from airefco that uses both map and propane makes brazing a piece of p1ss just a alternative to save some $$ :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodyj80

equipment: still spirits air still, 25 litre fermenter,carbon filter, 22 litre urn, 15 litre pot, and the usual bits and pieces

Postby badbird » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:01 am

BourbonJunkie wrote:I have used Map Pro gas as well as Propane through the TS8000 torch, and to tell the truth, I can tell bugger all difference between the gases. I actually dispute that the MAP Pro gas has any relevant temperature increase over Propane in real world usage.

Great advice there BourbonJunkie.:handgestures-thumbupleft:
I gave my TS8000 a try on a $4 camping propane bottle last night, with a 2% silver rod I really couldn't tell any difference between that and MAP PRO gas I have been getting lately.
Now I ask myself why the fuck have I been paying Bunnings $25 or so for MAP :angry-banghead:
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Postby sp0rk » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:12 am

badbird wrote:
BourbonJunkie wrote:I have used Map Pro gas as well as Propane through the TS8000 torch, and to tell the truth, I can tell bugger all difference between the gases. I actually dispute that the MAP Pro gas has any relevant temperature increase over Propane in real world usage.

Great advice there BourbonJunkie.:handgestures-thumbupleft:
I gave my TS8000 a try on a $4 camping propane bottle last night, with a 2% silver rod I really couldn't tell any difference between that and MAP PRO gas I have been getting lately.
Now I ask myself why the fuck have I been paying Bunnings $25 or so for MAP :angry-banghead:

Which $4 bottle is that?
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:55 am

Badbird , thats really interesting.Could you throw up a pic of how you connected the bottle to the torch.Guessing you had to cobble up some sort of adapter.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby badbird » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm just used a standard 1lb disposable Colman? bottle. I picked up a water damaged carton of them ages ago at auction for next to nothing and still have a few left.
Amazon has adapters to go from the 1lb disposable cylinder thread to 1/4 inch http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F273755-Throwaway-Cylinder/dp/B000BQN4IS/ref=pd_sim_hg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=03ZHFWXRRXG19AQTT4GY
Otherwise there is a instructable on how to refill the 1 lb bottles with the harborfreight adapter here http://www.instructables.com/id/Refill-Disposable-Propane-Tank-from-a-Standard-BBQ/all/?lang=pt try at your own risk :-D
badbird

Postby badbird » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:47 pm

Couldn't resist!
Ordered one of these for $16 from Amazon, will let you's know how it goes.
41RM7vCegeL._SL500_SS100_.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
badbird

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Think im just gonna see if i can borrow a mates oxy nearly died of smoke inhalation :laughing-rolling: and the torch keeps blowing out might try a standard reg this arvo
Last edited by Sam. on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post
whiskeyshiner

Postby C2H6O » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:45 pm

What type of torch are you using mate? I find this this makes a world of difference, its most likely just me but i cant manage to accomplish much with the cheap bernzo lpg nozzle, it just keeps blowing out. My old weller mapp nozzle handles mapp and lpg flawlessly (weller used to sell rebranded bernzo stuff).
As i said, could be just me but as a novice i find the better quality nozzles make the job easy..

burner.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby whiskeyshiner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:32 pm

Yeah mate i got the bottom nozzle with a handheld lpg bunning jobby think ill try in the shed with the doors open had barriers but the combo of the wind and a two ring burner on a hp reg produce to much fumes and blew my torch out started feeling a bit crook so i decided itd better to stop and give the low pressure reg a go this arvo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

Return to Tips From The Workbench